Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Max HDD size for PM G5?

Max HDD size for PM G5?
gradient
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2007, 01:24 AM

I need to replace one of my internal drives and am looking to go for a 750 GB or 1 TB drive. I can't find any reference to there being a max size and don't think there is but thought I would double check before dropping the $$. Can someone confirm concretely one way or the other?

Thanks!

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 5, 2007, 02:24 AM

A max has not been reached yet.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

gradient  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2007, 12:40 PM

Beauty, as I had hoped. Thanks!

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Dec 5, 2007, 12:42 PM

Accelerate Your Mac has a great database of user reports on hard drive compatibility:

Accelerate Your Mac! Mac Drive Upgrades/Compatibility Database

However, it looks like there aren't submissions on TB drives in G5s yet, so you may have to look elsewhere.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

reader50
Administrator
Dec 5, 2007, 05:53 PM

If the G5s fully implement the LBA-48 spec, then the max addressable HD space is 128 PetaBytes. There is another limit we will run into sooner, unless Apple releases a firmware update.

The Apple Partition Map can handle a maximum disk size of 2 TB. The GUID partition scheme can go much higher, but PowerMacs cannot boot from a GUID partition scheme. So until/unless Apple releases a firmware update, a boot drive in a PowerMac will be limited to 2 TB.

Larger drives could be installed, but would ignore the extra space if they are partitioned with APM. A larger drive with GUID would work fine as a data disk.

Forum Links
Forum Rules