Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Skype for Mac 7.0 gets new look, simultaneous messaging and calling

Skype for Mac 7.0 gets new look, simultaneous messaging and calling
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Oct 9, 2014, 01:10 PM

Microsoft-owned Skype has released Skype for Mac 7.0. The software brings with it a major redesign, matching the look of OS X Yosemite, and borrowing interface cues from a recent iPhone app update. The most significant change, however, may be a split-screen view during voice and video calls that lets people see and send instant messages at the same time.

Improvements have also been made to sharing and group video calls. Chats should further sync across devices, making it possible to resume conversations on different platforms. The upgraded Mac client is a free download.

jameshays
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 9, 2014, 01:27 PM

Funny that they tout simultaneous call and messaging as a new feature. It's been available for a long time. Oddly, it was easier to use in v6 than it is in v7. I have to wonder if the developers at Microsoft use the products they develop.

chimaera
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 9, 2014, 01:34 PM

Any word on the promised update for 10.5 users, promised after they blocked the 2.8.x clients?

What I find most annoying about the 6.x client is that it will not remember open windows. I want just the contacts monitor open. It always launches with that closed, and the welcome window open instead.

ljmac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 10, 2014, 03:01 AM

@chimaera: I just went to their web site, and they now specify OS X 10.5.8 or later. Sure enough, when I downloaded it gave me a new 6.3.0.604 client (up from .602 previously), which now works no problems.

Forum Links
Forum Rules