Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Apple's designs never cease to impress!

Apple's designs never cease to impress!
Rev-O
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2003, 08:33 PM

I know this is old news to all you long-timers, but Apple's designs never cease to amaze me!

Just put two 512's in my G5, and it was just so far beyond cake. Instructions inside the door. No tools required. Only equipment you need is opposable thumbs.

My introduction to Apples is my trusty slot loading iMac G3. Remember putting ram in it last year and thought that it just couldn't get any easier; just flip it over and pop it open. Put a 512 in my iBook last week , and it was only slightly more difficult, as it required a coin to unlock the battery and a jewelers screwdriver.

I keep thinking back to my PC days, where it could become a challenge (at least for me) to figure out how to get the stupid case open! Then you get to dig through the typical gordian knot of wires and cables... no thanks.

Just makes me love my G5 more. Makes me want to get one of those fancy clear acrylic side panels that macskinz is selling!
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2003, 10:02 PM

Originally posted by Rev-O:
I keep thinking back to my PC days, where it could become a challenge (at least for me) to figure out how to get the stupid case open! Then you get to dig through the typical gordian knot of wires and cables... no thanks.
Well actually that is not true for all PCs. Some of'em are pretty well designed and adding RAM can be a no-brainer. Of course if you're trying to save money and get the cheapest PC there is, you cannot expect a well designed case.

Guess what I'm tryin' to say is that Apple ain't the only company impressing their users. Plus there are also Macs that are not as easy to upgrade as PowerMacs, namely the first iMacs and the new iMac G4 - only one RAM-slot is accessible, in order to access to other one you'll have to disassemble the entire iMac
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

WizOSX
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2003, 11:57 PM

I've put RAM in nearly all the Apples I've owned (listed below). Some were much easier than others. No real logic, like "Apple has made it easier over the years" or anything like that. Certainly the SEs were the worst.

PowerMac 7600 .........................� Mac IIcx...............................� Apple IIe

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2003, 02:27 AM

The PowerMac 8xxx series had to be the worse. You had to open the case AND remove the motherboard to add ram. That was a total nightmare there.

Lizard7
Dec 7, 2003, 03:03 AM

Agreed... you had to perform surgery on the 8500 just to add more RAM. The RAM slots faced towards the INSIDE of the computer.

Originally posted by exca1ibur:
The PowerMac 8xxx series had to be the worse. You had to open the case AND remove the motherboard to add ram. That was a total nightmare there.

slipjack
Senior User
Dec 7, 2003, 04:17 AM

LOL, i actually did that... you'd hurt your freakin hands trying to get the parts to snap together/apart... it was horrible.

I remember thinking the 7600 was amazing comparatively.

Team MacNN :: Crush the competition :: crunching :: Dual Ghz G4/Radeon 9000/23" Cinema Display

TC
Senior User
Dec 7, 2003, 06:01 AM

My brother in law recently bought a Dell. I tried to convince him to leave the dark side but his only must use application is AutoCad so it had to be a PC.

To open the thing you have to press in a panel on the top + bottom which means laying it on its side. There is no indication of which side will open and which side is fixed. When you get it open there is a mess of cables. I was impressed with the handles they had attached to the IDE cables to make them easier to pull out and the quick release mechanism they use for mounting drives.

Then you get to the problems, the cables they supply are the minimum length required. We installed a CD writer to go with the DVD/CD writer already in there. It need to go on the same bus as the hard drive and the cable just wouldn't reach. The other problem was installing RAM. It has 4 slots and 2 of them are 90� to the board as they should be, but the other 2 are 45�. It just doesn't make sense and makes installing RAM much more difficult then it needs to be.

The Dell machine was backwards compared to my B&W G3 which came out years ago. They are light years behind the G5.
Nothing to see, move along.

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2003, 09:47 AM

Yeah, that's cause Dell is crap
Btw, adding RAM to my old PowerMac 7300 was a real PITA as well.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Dec 7, 2003, 10:56 AM

Originally posted by Rev-O:
Only equipment you need is opposable thumbs.
Could this be Apple's new marketing slogan? Great line!!

macaddled
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 7, 2003, 09:42 PM

Oh my god, I still have scars from installing RAM in my 7100. That was some frustrating sh1t.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Dec 7, 2003, 10:52 PM

Originally posted by macaddled:
Oh my god, I still have scars from installing RAM in my 7100. That was some frustrating sh1t.
Not much fun on a Performa 5300 either.

"Hello, what have we here?

AC Rempt
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 8, 2003, 12:20 AM

I have an actual scar on my right hand from trying to install a tape drive in my sig oth's PC, a Dell, at her office. Took the skin right off the knuckle.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Dec 8, 2003, 03:55 AM

I've never seen a PC with symetrical chipset layout with shiny gold leads, blue motherboard, no visible wires, almost all socketed items, and a simple latch to access innards.

Anyone have pics of a "clean" PC without copper pipes running everywhere?
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2003, 04:16 AM

WizOSX

Was that also your sig? It seems too big.

redJag
Senior User
Dec 8, 2003, 11:32 AM

Originally posted by TC:
...It has 4 slots and 2 of them are 90� to the board as they should be, but the other 2 are 45�...
That is usually for computers that support two types of ram - the 90 deg. slots for one type and the 45 deg. slots for the other.

The other problems you had, though, I am with you on 100%. I hate Dell cases.
Travis Sanderson

WizOSX
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2003, 11:39 AM

Originally posted by Kenneth

Was that also your sig? It seems too big.
No. I just made it using �periods� and [color=white] to put in that post or any others where it might be appropriate.

Forum Links
Forum Rules