Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > EV Nova testing my patience...

EV Nova testing my patience...
Rev-O
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2004, 01:34 AM

Okay, I've finished the Vell-os scenario. What I'm wondering is this, is there a way back to the system S7evyn? This is driving me nuts, because I've amassed enough credits to buy the nice ship they have for sale there, but I can't figure out how to get back!

Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

SteevAK
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 27, 2004, 02:00 AM

You can't go back there. Either hack the game or start a new pilot and wait until you have all the credits you need before completing the mission. You could also do some searching on the EV boards to see if there's any wormhole that will take you back there, but I really doubt it.
#macnn: where all the real action is at.

Tulkas
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 27, 2004, 11:34 AM

I believe there is a wormhole since that's how you get there in the first place.

Those cows won't know what hit 'em. They won't know what hit them even after it hits them, because they're cows.

Tulkas
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 27, 2004, 02:38 PM

Oh, and that ship really sucks anyway. Its more nostalgia than special.

Those cows won't know what hit 'em. They won't know what hit them even after it hits them, because they're cows.

benb
Feb 27, 2004, 04:29 PM

Originally posted by Tulkas:
Oh, and that ship really sucks anyway. Its more nostalgia than special.
Yea, you want a good ship, do the Polaris missions.

I can take out a Fed carrier with the 2nd Polaris ship (Striker, I think) without the cloak.

Tulkas
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 27, 2004, 06:19 PM

Originally posted by benb:
Yea, you want a good ship, do the Polaris missions.

I can take out a Fed carrier with the 2nd Polaris ship (Striker, I think) without the cloak.
Yeah, the striker. Its the puniest (aside from the manta) of the polaris ships and it still kicks ass.

Johnny_B
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 27, 2004, 06:57 PM

The Zephyr is great !! You need nothing more. I get all the planets to obey me with a Zephyr Great turning, enough space, fast as hell, etc... The coolest ship in the game
Mac Pro 2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core, Nvidia GeForce 8800GT

Rev-O  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2004, 07:49 PM

Thanx! Found a cheat for S7evyn, but if the blows, I'll save myself the hassle of rounding up 50 million credits to by a suck ship. Time to start a fresh scenario for the Polaris missions!

Hey, is EV Nova as close to Sundog as I'm gonna get?

Tulkas
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 27, 2004, 08:37 PM

Originally posted by Rev-O:
Thanx! Found a cheat for S7evyn, but if the blows, I'll save myself the hassle of rounding up 50 million credits to by a suck ship. Time to start a fresh scenario for the Polaris missions!

I did a search, is it that old game for Atari? There are a couple of games similar to Ev-Nova except fully 3D. In my opinion Vendetta is the best of them.. although incomplete.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Feb 27, 2004, 08:43 PM

Originally posted by Rev-O:
Unfortunately, yes.

Even if it is about as close to Sundog as Windows is close to OS X. :/

The difference in quality is astounding. Sundog is still the best space RPG/trading game I have ever seen, tried or heard of. I can't imagine EV was supposed to be anything like Sundog really. The similarity is probably coincidental. Either that or the Ambrosia developers just didn't get what made Sundog so special.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Tulkas
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 27, 2004, 08:45 PM

Originally posted by Johnny_B:
The Zephyr is great !! You need nothing more. I get all the planets to obey me with a Zephyr Great turning, enough space, fast as hell, etc... The coolest ship in the game
Hehe, its a good ship, but I prefer big ships like the scarab and pirate carrier. Don't like the raven: too big.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Feb 27, 2004, 08:50 PM

I did a search, is it that old game for Atari? There are a couple of games similar to Ev-Nova except fully 3D. In my opinion Vendetta is the best of them.. although incomplete.
http://www.mobygames.com/images/cove...3536277-00.jpg

Really cool cover art, this game had it all! FTL made the best games of the 80s.

Tulkas
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 28, 2004, 02:07 AM

Originally posted by voodoo:
Unfortunately, yes.

Even if it is about as close to Sundog as Windows is close to OS X. :/

The difference in quality is astounding. Sundog is still the best space RPG/trading game I have ever seen, tried or heard of. I can't imagine EV was supposed to be anything like Sundog really. The similarity is probably coincidental. Either that or the Ambrosia developers just didn't get what made Sundog so special.
What exactly made it so special?

Rev-O  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2004, 04:24 PM

Sundog was much like EV, without the multiple paths, but with a bit of planetary exploration thrown in. More of an emphasis on ship upgrading. A POV combat system that was quite effective. More graphical interface instead of relying so much on text. For it's time Sundog was fantastic... and nothing else has captured it.

FTL did make great some games... Sundog, Dungeon Master are the two I can think of the top of my head. What else did they do?

Johnny_B
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 29, 2004, 11:47 AM

Hehe, its a good ship, but I prefer big ships like the scarab and pirate carrier. Don't like the raven: too big.
The Zephyr (atleast mine) would have taken out a Raven in a one to one battle, without missils that is. The Raven has this annyoing steering (like the Vellos ships to). The Scarab is mucch better !! But Zephyr is the greatest ! But on a mod that makes the ships more "real", then the Zephyr is so small that nothing will hit it I rock everything with it !
Mac Pro 2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core, Nvidia GeForce 8800GT

benb
Feb 29, 2004, 03:58 PM

Originally posted by Johnny_B:
The Zephyr (atleast mine) would have taken out a Raven in a one to one battle, without missils that is.
Well. I maxed out a Raven once. All armor upgrades, max multiple rockets, 4 lasers, 12 mantas, 2 fusion generators. It was sweet. I could stand in one spot and shoot and everything would die. It was hard to disable ships and board them it was so powerful. The best part was, I would cloak for 20 seconds and everything would fully recharge.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Feb 29, 2004, 10:00 PM

Did you guys play Elite?

That was the original.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Feb 29, 2004, 10:19 PM

Someone actually made a plugin for the ORIGINAL Escape Velocity called "Elite Frontiers" that I think was inspired by Elite. Not sure if it ever got finished or not, maybe there's an unfinished version available somewhere.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Mar 1, 2004, 05:59 AM

Originally posted by moonmonkey:
Did you guys play Elite?

That was the original.
Elite was very good. It wasn't *the* original AFAIK Elite was released in 1984 the same year as Sundog. Acornsoft was in the UK while FTL was in California. I don't think the developers even knew of each other.

Forum Links
Forum Rules