Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > I MUST replace the hinge on new AlBook, ideas?

I MUST replace the hinge on new AlBook, ideas?
The Wolf
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 11, 2004, 10:34 AM

I can't deal with it anymore!

I loved the way the screen on my Ti would open so wide that it was almost flat. Because of this, the Ti was very comfortable to use both while sitting, as well as when in bed (lying on my back). Unfortunately, the screen on the Al doesn't open nearly as far (barely past 90 degrees), which makes it very uncomfortable to use. In fact, I can't even open Al wide enough (for my liking) for use on my coolpad!

I want to replace the hinge in the worst way. Unfortunately, I can't find any aftermarket hinges yet. Does anyone here know of any???

If not, has anyone actually seen the hinge outside of the Al Book? Any links to pictures? I'm wondering if there is any way to have a machinist modify it in order to allow it to open further? (there is definitely room between the screen and the bottom case for this to happen). Please help!!!

drustar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 11, 2004, 01:11 PM

I don't think there's any aftermarket hinges for the Titanium PowerBook. You'd have to go through AppleCare or go to an Authorized Repair Center to get that replaced.

You might as well update your PowerBook by getting a new one. The reason I say that is - the hinge, the display is one part and that is the most expensive part.

Worth a shot to go down to a repair shop and see what they can do. Maybe they can salvage it by not having to replace the display.
A happy PowerBook owner. *Yay-yeah!*

ibook_steve
Oct 11, 2004, 01:50 PM

Which machine are you using? My 12" goes to at least 120 degrees if not more. You can open the Powerbook until the bottom of the screen touches the base, which is pretty far. Because of the hinge design (screen swings behind base) you can't go as far as Titanium, but I think it's still pretty far.

Steve

The Wolf  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 11, 2004, 02:06 PM

Originally posted by ibook_steve:
Which machine are you using?
I'm using a 15" Aluminum PB. When the lid is fully opened, there is still about a 1/4" gap between the bottom of the screen and the case.

The Wolf  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 11, 2004, 02:12 PM

...deleted double post
( Last edited by The Wolf; Oct 11, 2004 at 02:29 PM. )

ibook_steve
Oct 11, 2004, 06:07 PM

Originally posted by The Wolf:
I'm using a 15" Aluminum PB. When the lid is fully opened, there is still about a 1/4" gap between the bottom of the screen and the case.
Are you sure you have it all the way open? That doesn't seem right.

Steve

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 11, 2004, 07:47 PM

Originally posted by ibook_steve:
Are you sure you have it all the way open? That doesn't seem right.

Steve
... because of the coolpad i suspect.

and the guy to whom the first reply belongs didnt read the first post. like, at all

Forum Links
Forum Rules