Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Blank media not showing on desktop?

Blank media not showing on desktop?
Rev-O
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2004, 06:52 PM

Not sure if this is somehow related to updating to 10.3.7 or what. I updated when 10.3.7 became available, but hadn't stuck blank media in my G5 until a few days ago, and encountered this problem.

Blank media is no longer showing up on my desktop. Blank CD-Rs and DVD-Rs do not appear as an icon. Burned CD-Rs, burned DVD-Rs, DVDs and Audio CDs do show up as icons. Obviously I've got my finder prefs set to 'show CDs, DVDs & iPods'. Apparently, the optical drive in my G5 still recognizes that the media is there, because it let me burn a DVD. Is there something obvious I'm missing here?
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Dr. Smoke
Forum Regular
Jan 1, 2005, 01:07 PM

Hi, Rev-O

1. In System Preferences > CDs & DVDs, what do you have set for "When you insert a blank..." ? If "Ignore" try another option.

2. While they don't show up on the desktop, do they show up in the Finder Sidebar?

3. Have you tried trashing both of the Finder preferences files? See my Finder Issues? How to delete its preferences FAQ.
Good Luck!

Dr. Smoke
Author: Troubleshooting Mac OS X

Rev-O  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2005, 03:42 AM

Originally posted by Dr. Smoke:
Hi, Rev-O

1. In System Preferences > CDs & DVDs, what do you have set for "When you insert a blank..." ? If "Ignore" try another option.

2. While they don't show up on the desktop, do they show up in the Finder Sidebar?

3. Have you tried trashing both of the Finder preferences files? See my Finder Issues? How to delete its preferences FAQ.
[smashes hand to forehead]
Oh fer chrissakes. I used to have my Sys Prefs>CDs & DVDs set to 'Open Finder' and changed CDs to 'Open iTunes' and DVDs to 'Open iDVD'. So of course the blank media doesn't show up on desktop... it launches the respective Apps!
[/smashes hand to forehead]

Problem solved! I may be an EEEEEEEdiot, but everybody needs to be good at something.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Forum Links
Forum Rules