Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Nwn Premium Modules

Nwn Premium Modules
Rev-O
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2004, 02:45 AM

Okay, so according to the Bioware store they aren't Mac compatible yet. That's fine. I was patiently waiting until they were made Mac compliant. Then I saw that modules require an internet connection for authorization, not just to purchase and activate the game, but in order to load a saved game.
Do I have this right? Sure looks like, according to Bioware, after I buy, download, and install the module, I need to go online and authenticate it each and evry time I load a saved game? So much for loading it onto my iBook and gaming on the go.
Too bad. Gonna spend my cash elsewhere.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

-Q-
Nov 30, 2004, 11:32 AM

Interesting and disappointing. I haven't even heard of these expansions being available. I may pay for one (I have a copy of the PC game) and see how it works and see how 'mac incompatible' it is.

Rev-O  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2004, 11:37 PM

Originally posted by -Q-:
Interesting and disappointing. I haven't even heard of these expansions being available. I may pay for one (I have a copy of the PC game) and see how it works and see how 'mac incompatible' it is.
Supposedly, until the next Mac patch comes out (which is suppose to be any day now), the downloads are completely mac incompatible, as in lock--up-asaurus Rex. Price is reasonable ($7.99) for each module, but I still think having to authenticate online everytime you load a saved game or start a new game (within the module) is a PITA, and uncalled for.

Rev-O  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2005, 12:52 AM

Well, even tho I swore I wouldn't buy any of the 'premium' modules because of the online authentication crap, I bought one anyways: Kingmaker. Just finally got around to finishing it off today, so here is my mini review.
Pros: Good voice acting. Interesting storyline.
Cons: Not challenging. Linear, linear, linear. Anti-climactic ending. Short, short, short. No replay value.

Overall, I feel let down by Kingmaker. It isn't worth spending money on, and it certainly doesn't warrant an online copy protection scheme. Bioware certainly hypes up Kingmaker, but the reality is that some of the fan developed modules (such as Shadowlords and Dreamcatcher) are much more interesting and enjoyable. Other than some nice voice acting, there is little to recommend Kingmaker. Save your money.

Forum Links
Forum Rules