Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Microsoft buying Bioware?

Microsoft buying Bioware?
Rev-O
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2004, 01:58 AM

Resurrecting the old should Apple buy a game developer or not debate. Once again, Microsoft looks to be locking up a solid developer (Bioware) by purchasing 'em. How's this impact us Mac users... not really sure. We're still s'posedly getting KOTOR, and we've already got NWN. But Jade Empire is an XBox exclusive. Lord only knows about the rumored and inevitable KOTOR 2. Sure we may see this stuff, after all, we did get Halo from Bungie. Eventually.

It's disappointing to see developers create quality stuff on Macs, only to abandon the platform (Cyan, Bungie, Etc). Do I expect my mac to be a hard core game machine? No. But it would be nice to have quality games in a timely manner. Macs seem to get games only when a publisher has exhausted all other avenues of milking profits. I understand its all about profits too. PCs and consoles move product. Macs... not so much.

That's why I still think Apple needs to purchase a developer and bring them in house. Make an Apple exclusive offering every few years that is outstanding. Something to make PC gamers say "I wonder if that's coming to the PC?" Not ports, but honest to goodness original games for the Mac first, PC's and consoles maybe a bit down the road. How excited would the Mac community be if Big Blue Box was an Apple developer, and was making Fable for the Mac? Or if Confounding Factor was in house and just finishing up Galleon for the Mac?

Microsoft has Bungie and now maybe Bioware. Sony has got Square sown up with agreements. I think Apple should consider staking their claim on some of the game development talent that's out there.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Jun 4, 2004, 03:15 AM

Valve would be a god choice

lenox
Senior User
Jun 4, 2004, 04:06 PM

Valve? Try id

Brad Oliver
Aspyr Staff
Jun 4, 2004, 04:42 PM

Originally posted by Rev-O:
Once again, Microsoft looks to be locking up a solid developer (Bioware) by purchasing 'em.
This is a fairly old rumor. I'd file it away as "dead" (along with the MS is buying Blizzard rumor) unless some new facts come to light.
Brad Oliver
bradman AT pobox DOT com

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 4, 2004, 04:53 PM

Obsidian is developing KOTOR 2.

mac freak
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2004, 10:51 PM

Microsoft? Buying Bioware? NOOOOOOOOO!!!!
Be happy.

Forum Links
Forum Rules