Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Pol Lounge General News Thread of "This doesn't deserve it's own thread"

Pol Lounge General News Thread of "This doesn't deserve it's own thread" (Page 51)
Thorzdad
Jun 22, 2020, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
It's the first time he's actually looked human. Just a dude tired after a long-ass day of traveling and flying and talking. Give a smile, give a thumbs up, trudge inside to go to bed. It's the most normal he's ever looked.
Maybe. OTOH, he and his people have been very good about him looking put-together and “presidential” whenever he has to pass before cameras, including moments like that walk from the helicopter. He didn’t even have his MAGA cap on. He just clutched it, wadded-up in his hand. I’m sure he was tired, but that look was a pretty big break from his usual on-camera appearance.

andi*pandi
Jun 22, 2020, 03:46 PM

I wouldn't normally mock someone for an illness or weakness, but Trump's hypocrisy here is unmistakable. He's made a career out of attacking anyone else's weakness: the poor, the handicapped, the injured, the ill, Hillary's pneumonia, Bernie's heart attack. A major part of his campaign was being fitter for office.

So the ads where Joe jogs up that West Point ramp like it was nothing, well, they are perfect.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 22, 2020, 06:56 PM

He cheated and used his strong hand this time instead of texting it for help like he did last time.
Wasn’t it his right both times, or am I missing the joke?

Thorzdad
Jun 23, 2020, 09:59 AM

Thorzdad
Jun 27, 2020, 05:20 AM

reader50
Administrator
Jun 27, 2020, 10:10 PM

Remember the Trump rally in Tulsa, Oklahoma? The one that only a few thousand showed up for? It appears some Darwin Awards are called for.
Video has emerged of Trump campaign volunteers apparently removing social distancing stickers from seats in the arena where the US president gave a campaign rally that many public health experts had warned against because of the still-surging coronavirus pandemic.

The Washington Post published the video, which it says shows Trump campaign workers methodically removing the stickers from seats at the BOK Center in Tulsa, Oklahoma. The labels read “Do Not Sit Here, Please!” and had been placed there by the venue in order to minimize the risk of Covid-19 infection.

The Post said the Trump campaign directed the removal of the stickers, against the wishes of the management of the 19,000-seat arena where the 20 June rally was held as part of Trump’s re-election campaign.
“They also told us that they didn’t want any signs posted saying we should social distance in the venue.”
Washington Post story - beware, you'll hit a paywall after a few stories in a month.

The Guardian coverage (partially quoted above)

The video:

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jun 28, 2020, 03:45 AM

That sounds like it could result in a class action.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

andi*pandi
Jun 28, 2020, 09:41 AM

Well it ties into how Pence is telling everyone we've flattened the curve on one side of his mouth, so go out and have a great time, and out the other is lip service to his role protecting our health.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/pence...b612083c4d828c

Thorzdad
Jun 28, 2020, 03:06 PM

Show of hands...Who here sincerely believes Trump was never told about the Russians putting a bounty on US troops heads in Afghanistan?

andi*pandi
Jun 28, 2020, 07:44 PM

Either a) he's told nothing, since he's just a giant figurehead for the republi-russian cabal; or b) he was told but due to senility/adderal overdose has forgotten, or c) of course he damn well knew.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 29, 2020, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
Remember the Trump rally in Tulsa, Oklahoma? The one that only a few thousand showed up for? It appears some Darwin Awards are called for.

Washington Post story - beware, you'll hit a paywall after a few stories in a month.

The Guardian coverage (partially quoted above)

The video:

Question:

If people who contracted Covid-19 at that event (and probably hundreds of people did, even with only a few thousand in attendance) died, wouldn't the next of kin in today's tort-happy America immediately turn around and sue the venue?

They can't sue 45 because of the waiver, right? But I'll bet that the campaign only protected their own interests and not those of third parties, like local organisation committees or venue owners.

Thorzdad
Jun 29, 2020, 09:18 AM

I'm pretty sure the waiver indemnifies the official campaign as well, since they issued the tickets, organized the event, etc. The venue, OTOH, might be wide open to lawsuits, though. They didn't have to rent the hall to the Trump campaign.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 29, 2020, 10:17 AM

The state said this was kosher, so I don’t think there are any grounds for a litigant to claim the venue did something unsafe by hosting the event.

Edit: if I was the event director I would have removed the labels too. Even without all the overt rejection of social distancing going on, I’d need to prepare for full capacity, which means I can’t have half the seats stickered off.

I wouldn’t be the event director though, because I’m not batshit.
( Last edited by subego; Jun 29, 2020 at 10:44 AM. )

Thorzdad
Jun 29, 2020, 11:24 AM

SCOTUS just struck down the Louisiana abortion restrictions, 5-4, with Roberts joining the majority again.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jun 29, 2020, 03:29 PM

WTH is going on?
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 29, 2020, 05:23 PM

Reddit just nuked the_donald, chapotraphouse, and gendercritical.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jun 29, 2020, 05:38 PM

I saw claims that T_D hadn't had any new posts for months so this was basically like shooting a corpse. Apparently they're all at their new site (not sure what that is), and that new site is blacklist from being shared on Reddit.

/r/Conservative is still going strong.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 18, 2020, 06:58 AM

Kanye 2020
Down. Goes. Ye.
He’s back in! <———————- You are here
Down. Goes. Ye.
In again!
Down. Goes. Ye.
Back in!
Down. Goes. Ye.
One last time!
DGY

Thorzdad
Jul 22, 2020, 07:40 AM

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 22, 2020, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
Separate from the constitutional implications, meaning I’m asking for personal opinions, what’s the argument for including illegal immigrants in the census? Specifically, the apportionment part.

To make the question more specific, where I take issue with our immigration policy is that it’s unjust. Were it just, is there an argument for including illegal immigrants?

Along those same lines, if we had a just system, is it unreasonable to then become real hardasses about people who dodge it? One of the reasons I call for a more just system is because being all loosey-goosey about immigration is a pretty enormous security risk, and I’d rather we better managed that risk.
( Last edited by subego; Jul 22, 2020 at 08:20 AM. )

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jul 22, 2020, 08:30 AM

I think the argument is along the lines of this: federal funding distribution for Medicare, Medicaid, Head Start, Title I, the National School Lunch Program, and more are determined by census results. These are, in general, Good Things and having them in place and properly funded benefits society as a whole. Keep kids fed and healthy. If illegal immigrants or their children are going to be utilizing those resources, it's important that they be adequately funded, otherwise kids end up less fed and less healthy.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 22, 2020, 08:36 AM

Those are all good points.

Does apportionment follow the same reasoning?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jul 22, 2020, 10:50 AM

That's a good question and I assume that responses fall on party lines. Does a state representative speak for each body living in his or her district? Or only the citizens? Or only those that can vote?

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 22, 2020, 12:14 PM

Or only those that can vote?
Here’s a wacky idea... make apportionment based on the number of people who vote.

There’s not enough popcorn in the world.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jul 22, 2020, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Here’s a wacky idea... make apportionment based on the number of people who vote.

There’s not enough popcorn in the world.
Should kids not count then?

reader50
Administrator
Jul 22, 2020, 01:09 PM

I was just reading about it. Apparently illegal immigration wasn't an issue until sometime in the 1800s. No one cared about citizens vs future citizens. And there was a general feeling that elected officials should represent roughly equal numbers of people rather than equal numbers of voters. Recall that in the early days, voters generally meant white landowners. It took awhile and several steps before "voters" came to equal "all adult citizens".

ie - women mostly didn't count as voters, but had to be counted too. And don't leave out the slaves - remember the 3/5ths compromise. Oh yes, tax-paying Indians needed counting too.

Note that census figures were not just used for government representation, but for taxation purposes. That came up a lot during the 3/5 slave discussion. If you only count the voters, a state will have less representation and will get undertaxed. Southern states wanted more representation, but didn't want full counting of slaves because their tax burden would go too high.
( Last edited by reader50; Jul 22, 2020 at 01:53 PM. )

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 22, 2020, 01:45 PM

Should kids not count then?
Should they?

Well that was (one) of the points of my idea. To come up with questions like this.

Assuming they should, are they better counted by raw numbers, or by more of their parents voting?

OreoCookie
Jul 22, 2020, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
And don't leave out the slaves - remember the 3/5ths compromise. Oh yes, tax-paying Indians needed counting too.
If memory serves, there were also attempts to deny African Americans citizenship after slavery was abolished.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Thorzdad
Jul 23, 2020, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
If memory serves, there were also attempts to deny African Americans citizenship after slavery was abolished.
One could argue the southern states functionally treated them that way until relatively recently.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 23, 2020, 05:56 PM

Down. Goes. GOP Convention.

reader50
Administrator
Jul 23, 2020, 09:12 PM

To clarify, the Jacksonville events (acceptance speech mainly) have been cancelled. The original convention in Charlotte, North Carolina will go ahead after all. But complying with NC health demands, limiting indoor capacity and doing many things virtually.

Thorzdad
Jul 28, 2020, 06:16 AM

From the tweeter-in-chief...

• No such law exists. Never has.

• Apparently, trending tweets are illegal if they're critical of Needy Amin.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 28, 2020, 06:57 AM

Property damage isn’t protected speech.

Where am I going wrong with this calculus? This is an honest question.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Jul 28, 2020, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Property damage isn’t protected speech.

Where am I going wrong with this calculus? This is an honest question.
I've been away a while, so may not be caught up- is someone asserting that it is?

Seems to me the post is simply calling out that Trump made up a law. I would think real laws would cover it.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 28, 2020, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by Paco500 View Post
I've been away a while, so may not be caught up- is someone asserting that it is?

Seems to me the post is simply calling out that Trump made up a law. I would think real laws would cover it.
Wonderful to see you!

You are absolutely correct. I skimmed the tweets too quickly. Apologies for the mistake.

Thorzdad
Jul 30, 2020, 09:58 AM

Trump tweets suggestion of possible election delay. Cites (non-existent) mail fraud as reason.

It would, of course, require an act of Congress to change the election date, so this is simply orange piss in the wind. Still, this is the first time Trump has openly floated the possibility of a delay, and it certainly doesn't bode well for an orderly election process this November.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 30, 2020, 11:17 AM

Trump tweets suggestion of possible election delay. Cites (non-existent) mail fraud as reason.

It would, of course, require an act of Congress to change the election date, so this is simply orange piss in the wind. Still, this is the first time Trump has openly floated the possibility of a delay, and it certainly doesn't bode well for an orderly election process this November.
What about an executive order?

Thorzdad
Jul 30, 2020, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
What about an executive order?
Apparently not. I suppose he could try an EO, but I'm pretty confident it would be quashed by the courts before the ink dries.

Of course, there's nothing that says he couldn't use an EO to dick with the process in a way that would hinder turnout without actually delaying the election. He could, for instance, send his brownshirtsfederal officers to "protect" polling places in "problem" areas, which would coincidentally happen to be in largely Democratic districts. And, hey, if things get violent, it's obviously the actions of those BLM terrorists.

andi*pandi
Jul 30, 2020, 02:53 PM

per trumpvangelicals on twitter, haha, he was JOKING! fooled you all! HAHAHAHAHA.

(if that is the story they are going with then they should realize how ****ING IRRESPONSIBLE that kind of "joking" is.)

Thorzdad
Aug 4, 2020, 10:11 AM

andi*pandi
Aug 4, 2020, 10:56 AM

They are not sending the people door to door who don't answer the online stuff, and those are the people who need counting most.

Thorzdad
Aug 4, 2020, 01:20 PM

I think that's the plan.

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 4, 2020, 02:54 PM

They’re still sending them. IIUC, they’re active right now. The question is whether the last month gets chopped off. Also, protocol is to estimate undercounting and add it to the totals.

Not saying this justifies any malfeasance, but the scope is certainly more limited than what would be achieved with outright cancelling door-to-door collection.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Aug 4, 2020, 07:31 PM

I feel like any estimating being added to totals by any Republican run election is going to be dodgy AF, this one a hundred times more so.

reader50
Administrator
Aug 10, 2020, 12:49 PM

Trump denies he asked about adding his head to Mt. Rushmore.
Donald Trump has denied that his team ever approached South Dakota’s governor about adding his face to the iconic monument depicting four presidents at Mount Rushmore. However, he added that it sounded like a good idea.
It was leaked to the NY Times that a Trump aide had approached the governor's office, asking about the procedure for adding a head. As Trump himself denied it, I'm sure it never happened.

Thorzdad
Aug 18, 2020, 08:13 AM

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Aug 18, 2020, 08:21 AM

Yikes.

OreoCookie
Aug 18, 2020, 10:51 AM

On the other hand, she knows as best as anyone in the world who she is married to and could have gotten a divorce at any time.

Thorzdad
Aug 18, 2020, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
On the other hand, she knows as best as anyone in the world who she is married to and could have gotten a divorce at any time.
Maybe? I'm dead sure she signed some sort of PreNup. Who knows what she gave up? Maybe she can't initiate a divorce?

OreoCookie
Aug 18, 2020, 07:31 PM

Maybe? I'm dead sure she signed some sort of PreNup. Who knows what she gave up? Maybe she can't initiate a divorce?
I highly doubt she can sign away her right to initiate a divorce. You are right that she may get very little out of a divorce, financially speaking, though. But if I offered you her current lifestyle with the only condition that you have to be married to Donald Trump, would you take it? How many people you know would?

Forum Links
Forum Rules