Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Airport networking difficulties

Airport networking difficulties
cms
Senior User
Aug 31, 2002, 01:21 PM

I have no problem connecting to my iDisk but get an error 36 when trying to connect one of my iMacs to other computers on my home network (3 iMacs and a printer). Interestingly enough, the other two are able to connect to this one with no problem.

I am using this computer (iMac 800 Superdrive) as my Airport Software Base Station and am connected to ADSL via a Nokia IP55 ethernet router. The Airport internet sharing works fine and the printer sharing over the Airport is also OK. BTW, the printer (Epson 810) is connected to the iMac that can't connect to the other 2 computers.

A further unexplained glitch is that the other two computers can see this one on iChat over the local network but this computer can't see the other two and therefore can't use the local chat feature in Rendezvous The AIM function is working perfectly. All very odd.

Any ideas? My hunch is that the difficulties are in some way connected (ho ho......no pun intended!) to this computer operating as the Airport software base station. I note that under the Airport status icon, I am no longer shown, as I was under 10.1, as being connected to the computer-to-computer network. Does the fact that I am effectively operating as the server for the internet connection for all three computers preclude me from residing on the network?

I'd really appreciate any suggestions or workarounds as to how I might solve this.

Thanks!

Forum Links
Forum Rules