Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Do you think I should change my MBP 15.4 to 17?

Do you think I should change my MBP 15.4 to 17?
seasurfer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 12, 2007, 02:33 AM

I thought I wanted something small yet powerful so I bought the 15.4''. Now I have a little regret, the reason: Every time I see someone using the 17'', I feel the urge to have it. I feel that the 17'' bigger screen looks nicer. More importantly, the 17'' is only slightly bigger than the 15.4 yet it looks so much better in my eyes.. I just got my MBP only, less than 2 weeks, should I change it?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Dec 12, 2007, 03:36 AM

If you work mostly at a desk: yes.

If you fly coach: don't even think about it.

My 2¢.

Fusion
Senior User
Dec 12, 2007, 03:42 AM

Only do it if you're planning on getting the 1920x1200 screen. 133DPI FTW!

seasurfer  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 12, 2007, 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
If you work mostly at a desk: yes.

If you fly coach: don't even think about it.

My 2¢.
I saw someone using MBP 17'' playing game while on the train...that was awesome, that was the main reason that made me think that 17'' is not that big after all.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 12, 2007, 08:29 AM

A classmate has a 17" MBP. Compared to my 15.4" machine, it's huge. Which means she needs a BIG tote for it, that it gets bumped more moving from one place to another, and so on. The screen is beautiful, but neither she nor I believe it's so much better than mine that it's worth the hassle.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

seasurfer  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 12, 2007, 11:01 AM

Anyone mind to share about experience travelling with the 17''?

romeosc
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2007, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by seasurfer View Post
Anyone mind to share about experience travelling with the 17''?

I use mine all the time! I am over 50 and the eyes are going .... the extra
screen real estate is a must!

I have no problem on a plane... I usually watch videos on my iPhone. I try
not to work on a plane, that is my unwind time.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Dec 12, 2007, 01:47 PM

I don't know a single major US airline that has a coach seats with tables big enough to support just 2/3 of the 17" footprint. Watching movies is one thing, trying to get work done another. Using my 15" MBP in coach sucks, so don't seriously try to tell me it's fun with a 17".

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Dec 12, 2007, 01:48 PM

Here's my $.02

I own a 15" MBP and I cannot imagine trying to travel with anything larger. The 15" is the right size (actually sometimes even that seems a little large on some airlines) to use while flying.

When I use it at home, I hook it up to a 24" monitor and span the desktop.

Just do what I did and get a display for when you're home, and not worry about what others have. As ghporter said, the 17" is ungainly large and can be prone to be knocked about and consumes so much desk space.

To each his own and good luck on your decision.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2007, 12:40 PM

Obviously 15" MBPs are a bit more mobile for those folks for whom mobility trumps all other issues. Economy airline seats are a laptop PITA with either a 17" or a 15" especially on short flights. For folks who only web surf and write emails a 12" PB, a Blackberry or an iPhone can suffice. I used to fly a lot, and folks who fly every day receive my condolences.

Today I only fly maybe 6x annually, typically longer flights, and find the difference between 15 and 17 negligible (meaning both are equally a PITA). I went from 15" PB to 17" MBP and barely notice the slightly more difficult transportability. However I am a large male accustomed to schlepping pro photo gear, so a slightly larger laptop is just no big deal. My 17" MBP is transported among home/field/office every day.

The HUGE difference a 17" makes is in graphics performance. The extra screen real estate and pixels (~40-75% more!) are enormously beneficial. After using 15" and smaller Mac laptops since the Duos, I will never go back to the much smaller 15" laptop screen real estate.

A side benefit is that 17" MBPs perform about 5% faster. For anyone who utilizes graphics, whether for work or for play, the larger laptop size is far superior. Far superior.

Note that use of second monitors in relatively permanently set up laptop-substitute-for-desktop mode or move-a-laptop-from-preset-desktop-to-preset-desktop mode are different situations. My comments apply to routinely using a laptop as a portable back and forth among home, office and in the field/school; those situations where 90+% of the time only the laptop display is in use.

-Allen Wicks
( Last edited by SierraDragon; Dec 14, 2007 at 01:23 PM. )

RandomUsername
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 14, 2007, 01:06 PM

I was considering a 17" MBP, but decided to get a 15", as i found 15" to be better in terms of portability, for me a 17" would have been to big, but that's just me, i(like many other people) suggest that, if you don't move around, or carry your laptop with you, a lot, get a 17", otherwise stay with your 15"
Santaji.net

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2007, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by MacosNerd View Post
....the 17" is ungainly large and can be prone to be knocked about and consumes so much desk space...
Physically, the 17" adds 0.8" and 1.3" to the dimension of a 15" MBP. Rather than seeing that as "consumes so much desk space" I see it as insignificant on the desk but much more screen real estate when doing real work.

I do move around a lot and do carry my laptop with me, and have years of experience with both sizes. After many years of smaller laptops and more than a year toting a 17" MBP everywhere I absolutely do not perceive the 17" MBP as "ungainly large," but I do understand that a smaller person could find the extra 1.2 pounds more noticeable than I do.

The only thing I notice different about carrying the 17" is that I often carry it vertically in its Incase sleeve rather than horizontally because the balance feels better that way to me. In a backpack it goes vertical, in the laptop bag horizontal. Just personal preference. I use the box so much most of the time it is just carried around loose in my truck in the lightweight neoprene Incase sleeve.

Obviously each individual makes his/her own decision. As someone who has used both sizes extensively I have found the marginal size difference negligible as regards day-to-day mobility but huge vis-a-vis graphics performance. A portion of the usage of my MBP is at home on my lap, sitting in a reclining chair. If anything the 17" balances better than the 15" did.

Some folks above, who appear not to have extensively used 17" laptops, seem to be saying something like "my 15 is big, 17 is larger so 17 would be too large." Seems logical if you lack experience using both, but what I have experienced is that both are of similar enough size that the marginal extra size of the 17 is negligible in my day-to-day mobility.

A simple graphics test: run Aperture with a batch of images on a 15" side-by-side with Aperture with a batch of images on a 17" MBP; or run Photoshop, or even a large Excel spreadsheet.

-Allen Wicks
( Last edited by SierraDragon; Dec 14, 2007 at 02:38 PM. )

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Dec 14, 2007, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by SierraDragon View Post
Physically, the 17" adds 0.8" and 1.3" to the dimension of a 15" MBP. Rather than seeing that as "consumes so much desk space" I see it as insignificant on the desk but much more screen real estate when doing real work.
Well my 15" MPB is hooked up to a 24" display so I more screen real estate and the option to span my deskop. I basically get the best of both worlds. A smaller laptop but when I'm home a large display.

I do move around a lot and do carry my laptop with me, and have years of experience with both sizes. After many years of smaller laptops and more than a year toting a 17" MBP everywhere I absolutely do not perceive the 17" MBP as "ungainly large," but I do understand that a smaller person could find the extra 1.2 pounds more noticeable than I do.
that's great for you, but that puppy does eat up more desk space and is much larger. The cases that are used to carry it around just amplify the problem.

Different strokes for different folks.

One argument for the 17" has always been that its a better machine if you're using it as a desktop replacement. The use of larger displays imo mitigate this advantage to some degree and the cost of those displays are going down

Don't get me wrong the 17" is a fine machine but I think its appeal is limited due to its size.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2007, 03:54 PM

Well my 15" MPB is hooked up to a 24" display so I more screen real estate and the option to span my deskop. I basically get the best of both worlds.
Um, a few posts back I did say "use of second monitors in relatively permanently set up laptop-substitute-for-desktop mode or move-a-laptop-from-preset-desktop-to-preset-desktop mode are different situations. My comments apply to routinely using a laptop as a portable back and forth among home, office and in the field/school; those situations where 90+% of the time only the laptop display is in use."

I agree that fixed location multidisplay setups are great. My office setup is a multidisplay tower. For use in the field or in one's lap in the living room (which are IMO the main reasons to own a laptop) a second display is impractical.

...that puppy does eat up more desk space and is much larger...
Individual perception I guess. The 17" adds 0.8" and 1.3" to the l/w dimension of a 15" MBP. My personal experience actually using both laptops is that the 0.8" and 1.3" is insignificant on the desk but much more screen real estate (especially as the extra pixels come into play for graphics) when doing real work.

If I simply used the MBP to carry data among multiple preset multi-display workstations I might still be using a 15" MBP. However 95% of the time I use a MBP for graphics in the field or in my lap at home. With that usage I find 17" far preferable.

-Allen Wicks
( Last edited by SierraDragon; Dec 14, 2007 at 04:04 PM. )

romeosc
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2007, 09:47 PM

I often " share information" , use the 17" to display drawings, charts etc at a conference table where 2 - 3 people need to be convinced on a point. In our paperless society (LOL) I often need something that wasn't printed for a meeting.

The ability to just swivel the screen so others can see has paid for itself numerous times!

seasurfer  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 15, 2007, 04:43 AM

Thanks for everyone comment. I went to the shop that I bought my MBP, they don't allow me to change it, because mine is a customized one, is this true?

zaghahzag
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 15, 2007, 04:09 PM

obviously, only you know what you want. I havea 15 inch and a 24 inch monitor, which is probably about the same cost as a 17. If money doesn't matter to you, get the 17. Personally, I like that it's a little smaller,but for the work i do, i can usually plug in into an external screen.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 15, 2007, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by seasurfer View Post
Thanks for everyone comment. I went to the shop that I bought my MBP, they don't allow me to change it, because mine is a customized one, is this true?
Yes. You'll have to unload it somewhere like the marketplace here, or Ebay.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 15, 2007, 04:41 PM

I have the exact opposite regret. I bought a 15" MBP, and now I find it too big. I would have rather gotten a much smaller machine. Since I have a Mac Pro as a desktop, I don't really need a high performance laptop with a big screen. I'm even finding myself seriously eyeing the 11.1" Sony Vaio TZ ultraportable. Thinner than a MacBook and only 2.6 lbs. Zowie!

beez1717
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 15, 2007, 05:30 PM

I would not consider trading in your computer for any reason: either it is going to be used on the go, in which case the smaller footprint will be a plus, and if you use it at your desk, then you could just buy an external monitor which can come in way larger sizes than 17 inches.....

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 15, 2007, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Cadaver View Post
I have the exact opposite regret. I bought a 15" MBP, and now I find it too big. I would have rather gotten a much smaller machine. Since I have a Mac Pro as a desktop, I don't really need a high performance laptop with a big screen. I'm even finding myself seriously eyeing the 11.1" Sony Vaio TZ ultraportable. Thinner than a MacBook and only 2.6 lbs. Zowie!
I'll make you a deal: I'll give you my 867 MHz 12" G4 for your MacBook Pro

medicman55
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 15, 2007, 06:44 PM

Depends on what you do. If you are a student, it wouldn't be a good idea.

If you are a graphic designer, go right ahead.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Dec 16, 2007, 04:57 AM

Just get a cheap 1920x1200 monitor and hook it up to your 15" MBP whenever you're at the desk. Best of both worlds: You have the significantly more portable MBP, and yet you'll have much more screen size than on the 17" MBP.

Fusion
Senior User
Dec 16, 2007, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Just get a cheap 1920x1200 monitor and hook it up to your 15" MBP whenever you're at the desk. Best of both worlds: You have the significantly more portable MBP, and yet you'll have much more screen size than on the 17" MBP.
I've done the 15" PowerBook tied to a 23" Cinema Display in the past and from my experience its anything *but* the best of both worlds. Unplugging and plugging in that amount of hardware every time I sat down to my desk was a major PITA and none of the docking solutions are any good. The worst part however is that none of my apps lived in the same space, as they'd all have to resize when using the notebook's screen and and have to spend time again resizing when getting back to the monitor... its amazingly stupid, don't even mention palette apps like Photoshop. I chalked it up to one of my worst experiences in computing.

Having a 1900x1200 native screen on the MBP itself is priceless and absolutely a win for computing. I think most people who have actually owned a 17 will tell you that you get used to it pretty fast. I remember when I switched from a 12 to a 15 I thought I'd never get used to it. It took 2 days.

Of course the playing field would be drastically changed if Apple were to offer a high-res solution in the 15 form factor. That'd be insanely amazing.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2007, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Cadaver View Post
I bought a 15" MBP, and now I find it too big. I would have rather gotten a much smaller machine. Since I have a Mac Pro as a desktop, I don't really need a high performance laptop with a big screen.
Small laptops are very cool for specific usages and folks have been clamoring for a new small pro laptop ever since the 12" PB. The rumor mill is strongly suggesting that we may see a small Mac laptop at Mac Expo SF in January. I hope so; IMO Apple has been missing a meaningful market segment.

-Allen Wicks

seasurfer  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 16, 2007, 06:50 PM

Thanks for everyone advice, but I don't think I can change my 15'' MBP to 17'' anyway, my vendor is not going to change it for me, it is a third party vendor. I think I will just buy a 17'' next time when I want to upgrade, may 2-3 years later? or sell my current MBP? How much do you all think I can sell?

My Spec: 15.4'', 2.6GHz, 4GB RAM, 200GB HD 7200, Glossy Screen, Apple Care.
iMac 24'' 2.8GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB HD
MacBook Pro 15.4 2.6GHz, 4GB RAM 200GB HD
iPhone 8GB

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 16, 2007, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Fusion View Post
Of course the playing field would be drastically changed if Apple were to offer a high-res solution in the 15 form factor. That'd be insanely amazing.
If only. I've been waiting 4 years for that one.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Dec 19, 2007, 10:21 AM

I'm glad they don't. The current resolution is just about perfect for me, if they increased the resolution I'd stop buying MBPs. I suspect a lot of people will. I hear from time to time people complaining how hard it is to use other companies that decided to go that route.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 19, 2007, 07:48 PM

I'm glad they don't. The current resolution is just about perfect for me, if they increased the resolution I'd stop buying MBPs.
He said offer an option, not force it upon everyone.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Dec 20, 2007, 04:04 AM

I'm glad they don't. The current resolution is just about perfect for me, if they increased the resolution I'd stop buying MBPs. I suspect a lot of people will. I hear from time to time people complaining how hard it is to use other companies that decided to go that route.
You're not alone.

In all likelihood the reason Apple's not offering it as an option is because only very few people actually like >130 ppi resolutions on small 15" screens (even more so when the OS was designed for 72 ppi!). If Apple can't sell an option a lot it becomes more expensive. As it becomes more expensive even less people buy it and so on. Unless you hear the 17" HD option start selling like crazy, don't expect to see it on the 15". And of course, until there is full RI in OS X, it's even less likely.

Trygve
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 24, 2007, 08:32 AM

I had several 15" machines... TiBook 667, Original 15" Intel, AlBook 15" 1.67 Ghz. Now I have a 17" MBP 2.3 Core 2 Duo and love it. I don't think I'd go back to a 15". I travel with it, but then mostly stay put for several weeks and use it as a desktop. It is fine while sitting in airports... find a quiet corner and relax, but I've never used it on a plane (though it got used on a German ICE train in 1st class a few times as they have nice tables to work from).

I do mostly software development so a big screen is really useful. I plan to get a new 17" with the higher res screen when the next generation is released.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Dec 24, 2007, 01:02 PM

The worst part however is that none of my apps lived in the same space, as they'd all have to resize when using the notebook's screen and and have to spend time again resizing when getting back to the monitor... its amazingly stupid, don't even mention palette apps like Photoshop. I chalked it up to one of my worst experiences in computing.
You do realize that both photoshop and illustrator (along with other adobe apps) can save your palettes the way you like em and if they were to ever mix up you could have it the way you like it in two clicks right? It's called, "Save Workspace." If not, maybe you shouldn't be suggesting to others what a pain in the ass it is to use an external monitor with your notebook.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Forum Links
Forum Rules