Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Official WWDC thread

Official WWDC thread
tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jun 23, 2003, 02:18 AM

Post everything relating to WWDC, and any PowerBook-relevant product releases, here -- DO NOT start any more threads! This thread will be opened at the start of the WWDC keynote.

tooki

edwood
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 23, 2003, 03:32 PM

Whooofff!
no G5 12" :-))
why I feel happy? well.. I was afraid my 4 months old PB was getting MUCH more old!

hope Panther speeds up things anyway

ciao!

djjava
Senior User
Jun 23, 2003, 03:36 PM

a big fat "I TOLD YOU SO...!!!" to all the people who said there'd be a PowerBook G5.
http://www.pardonmyenglish.com "Spreading the Conservative Word...In English Only."
RevA PB17 with Panther, Lacie d2 160gb, 4G iPod, Vectorworks 10.5

iDORK
Forum Regular
Jun 23, 2003, 03:58 PM

Originally posted by djjava:
a big fat "I TOLD YOU SO...!!!" to all the people who said there'd be a PowerBook G5.
lol

ingeniero
Jun 23, 2003, 04:04 PM

no chance of a release of anything new tomorrow?

videian28
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2003, 04:08 PM

big Steve woulda announced something like that.. so don't think so

I am kinda happy about it, would hate for my 17" to be so devalued already... actually considering selling it for one of those new dual 2ghz machines

y2kerr
Jun 23, 2003, 04:13 PM

Any chance of seeing new 15" PB's later in the week? I've been waiting months for an update!

roffle
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 23, 2003, 04:16 PM

Originally posted by y2kerr:
Any chance of seeing new 15" PB's later in the week? I've been waiting months for an update!
Me too, I'm pretty dissapointed. I'm gonna head of to college at the end of August hopefully there will be a 15inch alu by then.

legionare
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 23, 2003, 04:19 PM

finally some good-looking picture of the G5

schmoe
Forum Regular
Jun 23, 2003, 04:24 PM

How disappointing! The best form-factor 15" PowerBook has been left to rot. Not even an upgrade to aluminum.

That G5 case is the ugliest thing I've seen from Apple since the start of PowerPC days. This whole move to metal everything, hardware and software, is lame as can be. The case is just designed to keep the PPC970 chips cool, must run hot as hell. Doesn't look it'll be in a laptop anytime soon.

At the local Apple store everyone left as soon as the presentation was over. Store staff tried to shill some lame pre-purchase "Pro Card" that also gives you the wonderful benefit of free software installation! Wow, I'd pay for that!

*sigh* well the G5 specs and performance look impressive... guess we'll just have to wait.

elysian
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 23, 2003, 04:47 PM

Where are the new G5 PB's?!?! As for the metal look, I for one, like it. However, putting a Cinema Display with its Aqua-ish colors next to a new PowerMac G5 metal case looks kind of awkward, doncha think?

( Last edited by elysian; Jun 23, 2003 at 04:53 PM. )

beachmark
Forum Regular
Jun 23, 2003, 05:05 PM

The new desktop G5 is only available as from beginning of August. Who knows that by that time the (in this forum) long awaited 15inch will be launched at the same time.

One thing is for sure, only not when it will be launched but one day new powerbooks will be available. For now we can all continue to speculate.
g.r.e.e.t.i.n.g.s
mark ®
hanging out in san francisco - wellington - cape town (or in between)
Powerbook 17 inch MacOS 10.4.3Eng • Palm E2 • Motorola Razr • iPod Flash 1Gb • iPod mini 2nd-4Gb

macxtal
Jun 23, 2003, 05:16 PM

I wonder if there is anything to my theory that the 15" PB will be removed from the lineup. If most people getting a 17" would have perfered a 15" - then that does not bode well for the continuation fo the platform.

Robster1958
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 23, 2003, 05:22 PM

not even a Rev. B for the 12" PB ???? Or would that not necessarily get announced??

Specs at AppleStore are the same.
Rob
2.1 Ghz 15" MacBook Pro 2 GB RAM, OS X 10.5

16 Gig iPod Touch

n_lim
Forum Regular
Jun 23, 2003, 05:28 PM

I really love the new G5 aesthetically. Only 1 drive bay seems weird though. Partially glad that no G5 PBs yet, because I would have been forced to get a 12" G5 if it existed.

The new aesthetic reminds me of the pc card slot on my old Ti book, in fact, I think the new look is very much in line with the current Al powerbooks. I like it. If you look at the old El Capitan case it was still kind of playful, the QS was a mix of the playful curves of the iMac1 and the metal of the Ti. The pro line is all business now. I can't wait to see what a G5 powerbook will look like. Plus, if these things aren't even going to be shipping there is still a possibility of a G5 15" announced in July with availability in August as well.

These new machines look like monsters. PCs beware!
12" Al 867|60GB|SD

wanderlust
Forum Regular
Jun 23, 2003, 06:03 PM

Apple's releases over the past 6 months have been impressive. It doesn't surprise me there is no mention of new PB releases here. They will come soon.
( Last edited by wanderlust; Jun 23, 2003 at 08:33 PM. )

decursive
Forum Regular
Jun 23, 2003, 10:23 PM

conspiracy theory: do you ever think that apple releases just enough stuff to fill up the front page boxes? and thus, no new powerbooks.
= decursive =

vsurfer
Senior User
Jun 23, 2003, 11:00 PM

Originally posted by elysian:
Where are the new G5 PB's?!?! As for the metal look, I for one, like it. However, putting a Cinema Display with its Aqua-ish colors next to a new PowerMac G5 metal case looks kind of awkward, doncha think?

It's not the aqua colors, it's da kooky virtual noserider...

Hanging 10 with the front arm raised is kinda dorky, specially way ahead of the curl. That is no place to be claiming it. Should be in da green room (or blue room in this case).
He must be thinking different or something!
;-)

javabeans
Forum Regular
Jun 24, 2003, 08:26 AM

Originally posted by legionare:
finally some good-looking picture of the G5

Looking good from inside-out huh! Go Mac!
PB.17.1Ghz - iPod.10G

ingeniero
Jun 24, 2003, 08:51 AM

maybe an AL15 PB release next month at the MacWorld...or a speedbump of the 12 & 17...

djjava
Senior User
Jun 24, 2003, 09:02 AM

Originally posted by javabeans:
Looking good from inside-out huh! Go Mac!
on that note, they should have used a clear panel for the side to show off the dual G5s. If they sold that separately, I'd buy one for mine, but i can't afford the new g5 right now.
http://www.pardonmyenglish.com "Spreading the Conservative Word...In English Only."
RevA PB17 with Panther, Lacie d2 160gb, 4G iPod, Vectorworks 10.5

Mithras
Professional Poster
Jun 24, 2003, 09:03 AM

Actually, I think it will be a silent update to the 15", 12", and 17". It won't be an exciting update, just a slight shift.

No need for Apple to take attention away from the G5s.

mousehouse
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 24, 2003, 09:09 AM

same thing they did with the last speed upgrade on the G4 towers...

one of my friends was waiting for the new 15 also, and i just told him to stop waiting&wining and get a 17"... he's been waiting for sooooooo long.

given the recent pricedrop here in the Netherlands on those (a few hundred Euro's) there actually quite affordable.
MacBook Pro 13"/2.66 (09/2010), Mac Mini c2d/1.83 (01/2008)

abundrefo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 24, 2003, 09:25 AM

yep!!!

Tell him to buy it now if he needs it!!!
(or if this wait is making your firend sick)

The G5 is the MVP ultil the next championship.
Playing the groove is like driving a fancy car: you drive slowly so all the people can check you out. - Wynton Marsalis.

DekuDekuplex
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 26, 2003, 06:53 PM

Personally, aesthetically speaking, I prefer crystal to metal. Also, consistency of design across components would seem important.

I sure hope that Steve isn't trying to go back to the future by making everything sharp-cornered and rectangular again.

DekuDekuplex

Originally posted by elysian:

PowerBook® 17-inch [Rev. A] @ 1 GHz
512 MB RAM, 60 GB HD, AEBS, APP/PB
"Furuike ya, kawazu tobikomu mizu no oto."
-- Matsuo Basho

Forum Links
Forum Rules