Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Wii U: AirPort Extreme as Wi-Fi range extender.?

Wii U: AirPort Extreme as Wi-Fi range extender.?
angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 10, 2013, 04:52 AM

I am having some issues to find a wireless router that would work with the Wii U. My primary Wi-Fi base station (some fancy huawei model) does but the Wi-Fi range is far from optimal to be seen by the Wii U so I am looking for Wi-Fi range extenders. Given I don't know iota about networking I want to keep it simple, hence I am considering getting the Apple AirPort Extreme. Upon web research I read that it might work as long as I set the AirPort Extreme as bridge as opposed to Apple's "extend a wireless network" feature which will only work if your main router is also an Apple wireless device, which wouldn't be the case here as I can't do without the huawei router.

As for the Wii U, with the extenders I have already tried out, I get a notification telling me that WPA2-PSK (TKIP) is not being supported by the Wii U. I guess I can use use AirPort Utility software to tweak this. Can't I.?

ibook_steve
Feb 11, 2013, 04:47 PM

Huawei? For a router? Why must you use this? Replace that with an Extreme. You might get enough range just from that. How far is your Wii U from the router?

And if you need to extend the network, all you need is an Express in bridging mode to save some money.

As for the security protocol, yes, you can of course change that.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

angelmb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 12, 2013, 11:27 AM

Thanks Steve,

The Huawei B683 is the router provided by my ISP so I have to stick to it. It works great though, it just comes a bit short on range to be able to reach the Wii U. I have the Huawei router along with my Macs on a different story than the Wii U, so that 's the issue here. Great to know that either the Extreme and the Express should work in bridging mode.

ibook_steve
Feb 12, 2013, 09:21 PM

You didn't mention this was a 3G cellular router. Do you not have a wired broadband Internet connection?

Adding a bridge to an already slow connection (that review showed only 2 Mbps Speedtest; yikes, hopefully it works better for you) might slow you down even further.

Steve

angelmb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 13, 2013, 04:34 AM

Sorry for the omission, I should have made that clear upfront.

Wired internet is not an option, it would provide me with 2 Mbps whereas this 3G service peaks at 10Mbps.

If I move the router next to the Wii U, all works great. In fact, I find the Wii U browser is surprising fast. But this means no internet for the computers (out of range.)

ibook_steve
Feb 13, 2013, 04:48 AM

Better solution than a bridge that should cost about the same: that router has LAN ports. Get a pair of powerline networking adapters and get the Wii U ethernet-to-USB adapter. You'll get the same performance as if the Wii U was next to the router without adding a bridge into the equation.

Steve

angelmb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 6, 2013, 04:28 PM

Well, I bought a Belkin N300 Wi-Fi Range Extender. Set-up was a pain but it is finally working.

angelmb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 13, 2013, 05:36 AM

This is ridiculous and thwarting split up evenly. All of a sudden, the WiiU can't connect to the net through the Belkin even when the net is within reach and the WiiU can indeed see it.

angelmb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 8, 2013, 07:52 AM

So, if the network is not password protected, the Wii U will connect immediately.

Neighbors as well.

P
Jun 9, 2013, 07:43 AM

Nintendo's WiFi systems are not exactly known for their reliability.

As a stopgap of sorts, you can filter by MAC address to only allow the machines that you have.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Forum Links
Forum Rules