Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Cocoa Drag-and-drop time delay constant?

Cocoa Drag-and-drop time delay constant?
Rainy Day
Grizzled Veteran
May 18, 2003, 12:00 AM

Cocoa apps all have a delay from the time a text selection is made until the user may drag it. Anyone know how to change this time constant?

bewebste
Senior User
May 18, 2003, 04:37 PM

Originally posted by Rainy Day:
Cocoa apps all have a delay from the time a text selection is made until the user may drag it. Anyone know how to change this time constant?
Get one of the guys on the Cocoa team drunk and ask him reeeal nice to change it.

Rickster
Mac Elite
May 18, 2003, 04:52 PM

There's a default write you can do to change it... I don't recall it off the top of my head, but I believe it's in one of the AppKit developer release notes (which can be found rather quickly from http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/...oaTopics.html.
Rick Roe
icons.cx | weblog

Rainy Day  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 19, 2003, 12:35 PM

The only reference i found was this old Mac OS X Developer Release Note:
Text drag and drop
NSTextView now supports drag and drop of text. A text selection will be dragged only if the user clicks and holds on it for a certain period of time.
But i wasn't able to find anything more helpful.

Also poked around Programming Topics: [ID: 10000069i]Drag and Drop, but didn't find anything.

Get one of the guys on the Cocoa team drunk and ask him reeeal nice to change it.
How much beer do you think it'll take?

IamBob
Senior User
May 19, 2003, 01:12 PM

Beer? I'm sure they wouldn't drink anything but top-shelf liquor...

They're Cocoa guys, remember, they're used to the finer things in life.

nickm
Mac Enthusiast
May 21, 2003, 02:03 AM

Heh. This is one of my long-standing OS X annoyances. Carbon and Cocoa treat drag and drop text and proxy icons. With Carbon, you click and hold on proxy icons, but can drag text immediately. With Cocoa, it is the other way around. Carbon does it right in my opinion --- most often when I've selected text, I've done it correctly and want to do something with the text. Most often when I click in a window title bar, it's because I want to move the window.

I can't count the number of times I've been stuck holding an Omniweb proxy icon when I just wanted to move a window out of the way.

Rainy Day  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 21, 2003, 04:21 AM

Well, ahhhm, i agree and this is the reason i'm asking. I cannot tell you how many times i've made a selection of text, with the intent to drag it somewhere, only to find myself selecting a new area instead. Very frustrating. I'd like to create a System Preference panel to allow users to select their own delays. Clearly there's a constant someplace. The user ought to be able to control this in the same way key repeat rate or mouse tracking rate can.

This is one of my pet peeves with NeXT's acquisition of Apple (er, i mean the other way around): The NeXT engineers weren't Mac people, and they just don't get it sometimes.

Beer? I'm sure they wouldn't drink anything but top-shelf liquor...

They're Cocoa guys, remember, they're used to the finer things in life.

This, i fear, will become another of my pet peeves about the NeXt guys. A real App[color= fuchsia]l[/color]e Engineer likes beer. And it doesn't even have to be good beer. Corona used to do.

Forum Links
Forum Rules