Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > mac.com problems

mac.com problems
yoyo52
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2000, 01:09 AM

I've been having intermittent problems getting my mail from my mail.mac.com account. My default email client, Eudora, as well as Outlook Express both report that the domain name does not exist. That has begun to happen very frequently--so much so that I've decided to forward my mac.com mail to another account and read it from there.

The problem happens on my G4 and on my PB, both of them connected via a DSL modem. As I said, up until yesterday the problem never happened at all, and today I was able to check my mail in the morning and afternoon, but haven't been able to do so all evening.

Does anyone have any idea of what might be the problem? I hate to have to forward my mac.com mail to another account
And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear

pastusza
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 12, 2000, 11:57 AM

Sounds like a DNS problem with your ISP. I have no problem checking my mac.com mail account. I'd call your DSL providers tech support and have them trying PING and TRACEROUTE mail.mac.com and see if they have problems.

I really wish the Mac.com mail address had an available web interface. Then I could check it from work. Sadly, I just forward mine to my yahoo mail account.

------------------
Andy Pastuszak
[email protected]
Andy Pastuszak
amp68(spammenot)-at-verizon.net

bubblebob
Jul 12, 2000, 12:11 PM

I too have a mac.com email account, and I haven't had any problems accessing it recently.

If your email clients report that the domain doesn't exist, then there is probably a problem with your ISP. To contact mail.mac.com your email client has to access a domain name server at your ISP, and that is what is saying the domain doesn't exist.

In other words, the problem you're having is probably nothing to do with Apple at all, but is something to do with your ISP or someone in between. Your best bet is to contact your ISP and ask them why this is happening, as it may well be a fault in their system...

blaked
Jul 12, 2000, 02:39 PM

You actually don't have to forward your mail. Both Yahoo and Excite support checking other POP3 accounts via their web interface. I occasionally use them to check my mac.com e-mail.

Blake

ssviland
Jul 12, 2000, 05:52 PM

If you can log onto the internet at work why can't you check your mail as well? As long as Port 25 is open on your firewall it should work. It's open where I work even though we are not using POP3 mail internally. I just enter mail.mac.com into the POP mail server of my email client and it gets my mail (I set it to leave a copy on the server so that I can download and archive at home.) I check both mac.com and my ISP mail this way.

ipenguin
Jul 12, 2000, 06:02 PM

I have a friend who consistently has problems (from ADSL) with sending email to my mac.com email address.

It always bouces. Of course, he's using WIndows, but I suspect that there are problems with SMTP from NT servers or something.

pastusza
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 12, 2000, 06:04 PM

We are using the most awful Internet Access product ever made, MS Proxy Server 2.0. We use internal IP addresses in the building and have one valid IP to the real world. The only access we have is through web proxy.

Proxy Server sucks! I just passed the certification test in it, so I'm even more qualified to say how godamn aweful it is!

------------------
Andy Pastuszak
[email protected]
Andy Pastuszak
amp68(spammenot)-at-verizon.net

yoyo52  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2000, 08:40 PM

Thanks to your suggestions, I asked my DSL provider about the problem, and this is their response:

X-Sent: 12 Jul 2000 17:51:33 GMT
To: "Alberto Cacicedo" <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: Domain name problem
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 13:50:25 -0400
X-Priority: 3

Hi Al, I did a tracert to mail.mac.com and the signal dies out west in a
Globex center. Perhaps you can provide this to the mac.com system admin. If
you can do a "tracert" do it from your PC and sent it to them.

"Tracing route to mail.mac.com [204.179.120.64]"
3 60 ms 60 ms 60 ms 209.185.160.162
4 50 ms 50 ms 50 ms dcr03-g7-0.jrcy01.exodus.net [216.32.222.137]
5 50 ms 50 ms 60 ms bbr02-g3-0.jrcy01.exodus.net [209.67.45.254]
6 70 ms 70 ms 71 ms bbr01-p5-0.okbr01.exodus.net [216.32.132.109]
7 90 ms 90 ms 90 ms ibr02-g4-0.okbr01.exodus.net [216.34.183.67]
8 70 ms 70 ms 80 ms globalcenter-px.exodus.net [216.32.132.158]
9 80 ms 70 ms 71 ms pos5-2-155M.cr1.CHI1.gblx.net [208.49.59.197]
10 130 ms 130 ms 131 ms pos1-0-622M.cr1.SFO1.gblx.net
[206.132.110.122]

11 130 ms 130 ms 130 ms pos0-0-0-155M.ar1.SFO1.gblx.net
[206.132.110.130

12 * * ^C

If you have any questions just let me know.

Thank You
Frank T Furio
Tribeca Internet www.tribecaweb.com www.tribecahosting.net

I've already sent a copy of this to iTools support. I'll let you all know if anything further happens. I still puzzle about why the problem started all of a sudden

AppleGuy76
Jul 12, 2000, 09:57 PM

If you are getting frequent error messages saying that a particular domain name could not be found, try trashing the "MacTCP DNR" file found in the System Folder. I believe that the file is being corrupted for some reason or another, and am working with friends at Apple to find a solution (I'm interning with Apple now).

I've had the exact same problem, and have noticed that the file does not regenerate on firewire PowerBooks, rev. E iMacs, G4's and iBooks. I have no concrete evidence about what is causing this, but if the file does not regenerate after a restart, pull the file off of the original CD's that came with your computer.

If you have any questions for further info, please e-mail me...

[email protected]

wlonh
Professional Poster
Jul 12, 2000, 10:09 PM

yoyo52  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2000, 01:05 AM

Well, no news from Apple (surprise, surprise), but I did remove the MacTCP DNR from the System Folder, and so far that has done the trick. Thanks for the suggestions

yoyo52  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2000, 07:05 PM

Well, the problem is back again, although more intermittently than before. I've forwarded my mac.com mail to another account, but I still wish I didn't have to do so

wbyeager
Jul 23, 2000, 11:29 PM

Is there a way to mount my iDisk through the Chooser in Mac OS 9.0.0?

wlonh
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2000, 11:38 PM

yes, click on the appleshare icon and enter idisk.mac.com as the IP addy of the fileserver

easier is to use freeware iDisk Mounter, see versiontracker.com

also, once the idisk is mounted on the desktop, open keychain access and drop the idisk icon onto the keychain access window, then it will be there in keychain access and you can mount the idisk that way

[This message has been edited by wlonh (edited 07-23-2000).]

yoyo52  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2000, 01:18 AM

I have an alias of my iDisk on the desktop. When I double click it, I'm asked for the password and then bingo, I'm in--very simple, which is exactly my speed

wbyeager
Jul 24, 2000, 07:13 PM

Thanks for those who posted. I noticed that the keychain was nice enough to even prompt me to create one and store my iTools password in it!

wlonh
Professional Poster
Jul 24, 2000, 08:43 PM

yeah i have my iDisk aliased in my StripLaunch CSM... i hate desktop alias clutter...

AnswerMan
Aug 6, 2000, 06:03 PM

you CAN!! check your mac.com mail from the web!!! I do it every day!!! www.iloveapple.com try it out!

-----
[email protected]

Forum Links
Forum Rules