Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Trying to publish web page with web sharing, but...

Trying to publish web page with web sharing, but...
sigler
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 29, 2000, 08:30 PM

Greetings

I am trying to publish a web page via Web Sharing. My internet provider told me to put my IP number in the IP slot, but when I do, I get an error stating that the router and IP must be on the same subnet. I'm connect via ADSL. Right now, my IP is 10.0.0.2, and my router is 10.0.0.1.

How do I change this so my IP is really my "real" ip and not a hardware IP?

Thanks in advance!

Rob

sprite
Aug 8, 2000, 11:22 PM

This all depends on how you access your dsl line (if it is PPPoE, DHCP, static IP)
Are you able to get on the internet ok? If so all you have to do is go to your "Web Sharing" control panel select the folder that you put all your .html and other files in, and click on the start button. Give it about ten seconds to startup and it will say something like my address is :____ you can even go to the edit menu and select "copy address" and that will put a copy on your clipboard.
Just remember if you don't have a static IP your address will always be changing. You can sign up for a static name for a dynamic IP at www.dhs.org This way you go to there website and update your address when it changes and you will always the same address at http://****.dhs.org. Makes it nice when people are tring to find you on the web. this service also works for FTP and Hotline. Good Luck

Herr Newton
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 9, 2000, 04:33 PM

If he has a 10.*.*.* it's likely that his ISP is going through a NAT as a an IP of that sort is reserved for internal networks. Call your ISP and ask if you can get a static IP.

Forum Links
Forum Rules