Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > The iPhone

The iPhone (Page 7)
mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2007, 10:20 PM

Any idea if the "home" button is an actual button or more of a sensor?

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2007, 10:20 PM

Any shots of the back? Anywhere?

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 9, 2007, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
Any shots of the back? Anywhere?

I wondered if that weird black part at the bottom isn't a replaceable battery, but they didn't mention it in the keynote. Probably not. I imagine that a 3rd party external battery (that can also charge the internal battery) will show up very soon if the battery isn't removable.

Hash
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2007, 10:23 PM

I almost bought unlocked SE Walkman w810i for something like 400$ and ended up buying SE w700i for 300$ with 512 mb memory stick pro duo and my friend bought SE k790i (unlocked) for almost 500$. Now, w810i is not smartphone, holds about 2 gig (max 4 ) of files, has 2 mln pixel camera, while k790i is different only by having a larger screen, slightly better camera (advertised as cybershot phone) and its m2 memory stick is not available even in 1 gb size for which you have to pay another 100 bucks. Now compare that with 4 gb of memory in iphone, its incredible OS integration, wifi, skype, processor capabilities, fantastic screen, multitouch technology and you will understand which phone is a steal.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2007, 10:24 PM

Complete gallery here:

Engadget

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2007, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by icruise View Post
I wonder if that weird black part at the bottom isn't a replaceable battery, but they didn't mention it in the keynote.
I was thinking (and hoping) that might be what it is.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 9, 2007, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by Hash View Post
I almost bought unlocked SE Walkman w810i for something like 400$ and ended up buying SE w700i for 300$ with 512 mb memory stick pro duo and my friend bought SE k790i (unlocked) for almost 500$. Now, w810i is not smartphone, holds about 2 gig (max 4 ) of files, has 2 mln pixel camera, while k790i is different only by having a larger screen, slightly better camera (advertised as cybershot phone) and its m2 memory stick is not available even in 1 gb size for which you have to pay another 100 bucks. Now compare that with 4 gb of memory in iphone, its incredible OS integration, wifi, skype, processor capabilities, fantastic screen, multitouch technology and you will understand which phone is a steal.
The camera on the K790i is autofocus. Way better than most 3 MP phones (although still not comparable to a real camera).

I have a 1 GB M2 card for my K790a. For you guys in the US, it's $49.99 at SonyStyle.com with free shipping.

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2007, 10:30 PM

iWonder if Sarari will have a memory leak and take up all the system resources after a few minutes of surfing?

f1000
Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2007, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Please show me where on cingular.com you can get unlimited data for an EDGE phone with tethering for $20/mo.
Screw EDGE, I've been tethering using HSDPA at $19.99/month for months now. Read my sticky in the peripherals thread. It's only been up there for like over a year...

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jan 9, 2007, 10:46 PM

Heh. As of today, HowardForums has a new Apple section. Err... I mean Apple iPhone section.

And the best post so far:
I hate this, unbelievable. I really dislike Apple...seriously, but this is a truly brilliant product and it basically fits all of my needs. Dammit! now I will have to get it!

Globe and Mail: Apple's iPhone shakes rivals to the core

Apple Computer Inc. shook up the technology world and stock markets Tuesday when it unveiled a skinny cellphone that it says will revolutionize the world's most popular consumer electronics device.

Observers are already predicting the iPhone will be a force to be reckoned with in the cellphone industry that will prompt existing manufacturers such as Motorola Inc., Nokia Corp., Palm Inc. and Research In Motion Ltd. to revise their own designs.

Those companies' stocks took a beating Tuesday as investors fretted about a new rival entering a market where competition is already intense. Shares of RIM, maker of the BlackBerry, slid $12.82 to $154.01 on the Toronto Stock Exchange. On the Nasdaq Stock Market, it fell $11.16 (U.S.) to $131. RIM was also hurt because a rumoured partnership with Apple didn't transpire.

Elsewhere in the sector, shares of Motorola dropped 34 cents to $18.26 on the New York Stock Exchange, Nokia slipped 26 cents to $19.38 on the NYSE, and Palm declined 84 cents to $13.92 on the Nasdaq. Shares of Apple, in contrast, climbed $7.10 Tuesday to $92.57, adding $6.1-billion to its market capitalization.

f1000
Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2007, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Methinks you may be disappointed then.
I have no need for both a desktop and a laptop; I'd rather have a desktop augmented by an iPhone. Still, I'll have to wait and see I guess.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2007, 10:55 PM

Wow, after watching the keynote and seeing the iPhone in action, it really is amazing. Screenshots and copy don't do it justice.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2007, 11:05 PM

Question: What does the $499/$599 cost cover on the 2-year plan? Will there likely be other monthly charges, or per-email charges and the like?

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2007, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by BRussell View Post
Question: What does the $499/$599 cost cover on the 2-year plan? Will there likely be other monthly charges, or per-email charges and the like?
Certainly there will be other monthly charges for airtime and such. Depends on the plan, I would think.
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2007, 11:09 PM

Question: What does the $499/$599 cost cover on the 2-year plan?
Just the phone. Then you can add all the over priced Cingular services for $30-$300 a month.

TimmyDee51
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2007, 11:21 PM

I just returned from Macworld and can confirm that the battery is not user-accessible. My guess is that this is where the antenna sits, and a plastic casing would allow better reception than a metal one at this part.

Also, the OS will take up some amount of space on the internal memory (one Apple rep danced around this question, the other said "I would imagine it would take up some space). They did not, however, state how much space the OS would take up.

A few other notes:

The button above the volume button is a ringer on/off switch, ala the Treo.

There is a button on the top of the iPhone to wake it from sleep. After that, you can unlock the phone using the onscreen slide button.
Per Square Mile | A blog about density

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2007, 11:37 PM

That was the most boring thing I have ever watched. Seriously. He is a really boring speaker. Very monotone like. Blah.

Nobody knows when to clap during the presentation because you an never tell when the dramatic parts are supposed to be in it.
( Last edited by torsoboy; Jan 9, 2007 at 11:45 PM. )

Spook E
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 9, 2007, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by icruise View Post
[img]
I wondered if that weird black part at the bottom isn't a replaceable battery, but they didn't mention it in the keynote. Probably not. I imagine that a 3rd party external battery (that can also charge the internal battery) will show up very soon if the battery isn't removable.
I wonder how long it will take for some dodgy asian company to start making a replacement component for that black bit in a colour that matches the rest of the phone.

Not long i hope, that black bit seems a really odd design decision

Hash
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2007, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
The camera on the K790i is autofocus. Way better than most 3 MP phones (although still not comparable to a real camera).

I have a 1 GB M2 card for my K790a. For you guys in the US, it's $49.99 at SonyStyle.com with free shipping.
Yes, I know it has autofocus and macromode; however, aside from that my 2 mln camera in w700i works just fine (especially if add later some sharpness by processing it in Picasa or Corel Shapshot); i did not know that m2 cards are already available in 1 gb, but I think it is not included in the box when you buy k790; its another cost to be considered.

Now, even with k790 featuring in Bond movie, you can bet that next hot thing and surely which Bond will use next for his hi tech spy things, will be the iPhone - its so advanced, yet aesthetically pleasing

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 9, 2007, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
Screw EDGE, I've been tethering using HSDPA at $19.99/month for months now. Read my sticky in the peripherals thread. It's only been up there for like over a year...
Meanwhile the iPhone still only has an EDGE radio and no UMTS/HSPDA support, and cingular.com still says unlimited data plans are $40/mo, and cingular still charges another $40/mo to tether.

$500-600 covers the discounted cost of the phone. You're looking at another $40+ a month for airtime (if you want to talk on it) and another $40+ a month for unlimited data. See cingular.com for the details.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 9, 2007, 11:47 PM

The question is, what premium are you going to have to pay for a iPhone that someone buys with contract, and then sells on eBay.

That's probably the only way to get an iPhone w/o contract.

-t

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2007, 11:48 PM

I cannot wait for the iZune Phone

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2007, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
E.g., he gets streaming TV on his phone, 28 channels. No way you can do this with EDGE.

-t
Right, but what I am saying is when are you NOT in range of any Wifi network and using that. Sure when you are driving in the car but you shouldn't be watching video's then anyway.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2007, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by Hash View Post
Now, even with k790 featuring in Bond movie, you can bet that next hot thing and surely which Bond will use next for his hi tech spy things, will be the iPhone - its so advanced, yet aesthetically pleasing
Don't bet on it. Ever wonder so many Sony products are in every recent Bond movies?

Guess what company distributes Bond movies....

f1000
Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2007, 11:54 PM

$500-600 covers the discounted cost of the phone. You're looking at another $40+ a month for airtime (if you want to talk on it) and another $40+ a month for unlimited data. See cingular.com for the details.
He's only looking at an additional $40+ a month for unlimited data if he gets a Data Connect plan, which may NOT be necessary. The Smartphone unlimited plans are $19.99/month and the regular MediaMax plans are also $19.99/month.

I've been with AT&T/Cingular since 2002. I should know how much their unlimited data plans cost.

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2007, 11:54 PM

So wait... the phone is GSM. It uses a SIM card. SIM cards have to be removable (as far as I know). Doesn't that mean there has to be some kind of removable panel or compartment on the phone? Couldn't that also house a battery?

"I start fires!"

Hash
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2007, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
Don't bet on it. Ever wonder so many Sony products are in every recent Bond movies?

Guess what company distributes Bond movies....
OK, then Paramount's Mission Impossible 4 and all other flicks..Only Bond will use outdated technology

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jan 10, 2007, 12:08 AM

Right, but what I am saying is when are you NOT in range of any Wifi network and using that. Sure when you are driving in the car but you shouldn't be watching video's then anyway.
Canada must be some magical land what with it's ubiquitous free WiFi!

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Spook E
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 10, 2007, 12:09 AM

Does anyone know how the sensor will work that switches the display off when you put it against your head? Is it a beam of light or something?

If its anything thing like the sensor in my Sony DSC-R1, as soon as you move your finger in front the display will annoyingly flick off, that would be a major turn off.

Engadget is also saying that they don't believe the phone will be available to third party developers to whip up programs for it, surely that can't be true? It would be a disaster if it was the case. Hopefully, we'd still be able to make our own widgets for it. Someone should get cracking on a powerpoint/word/excel viewer widget.

f1000
Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2007, 12:10 AM

Meanwhile the iPhone still only has an EDGE radio and no UMTS/HSPDA support, and cingular.com still says unlimited data plans are $40/mo, and cingular still charges another $40/mo to tether.
You suggested that Cingular was a lousy partner for Apple because it didn't offer more for the price of its service plans, whereas I pointed out that Cingular's network was faster than T-mobile's at the same price point. Now you're trying to win the argument by pointing out the obvious fact that the iPhone only has EDGE. No shite Sherlock. It's clear that Apple intends to add UMTS/HSDPA to the iPhone in the not too distant future, which is probably why it chose to start with Cingular (i.e., the better network).

Moreover, a little clicking through Cingular's website would reveal the following info:

SmartPhone Connect Unlimited w/Xpress Mail 19.99 Unlimited 0.015/KB 0.0195/KB View Details

Get Started | Cingular Wireless

With regards to Data Connect, I forgot what it was used for. I think it's for people who want a static IP address and/or IP header compression or something, but it's premature for me to care at this point. Bottomline, mduell, is that I and many others have been tethering using EDGE/UMTS/HSDPA at $19.99/month for well over a year.

Visnaut
Senior User
Jan 10, 2007, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by MaxPower2k3 View Post
So wait... the phone is GSM. It uses a SIM card. SIM cards have to be removable (as far as I know). Doesn't that mean there has to be some kind of removable panel or compartment on the phone? Couldn't that also house a battery?
Precisely. Steve said in the Keynote that the iPhone had a SIM card 'tray'. Could that be what the black panel on the back is?

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Jan 10, 2007, 12:12 AM

Huh? UMTS has nothing to do with WiFi. Streaming video is perfectly possible on UMTS. In fact, people do it every day.

It's the same reason the iPhone doesn't have an iSight with iChat mobile: Cuz there is no UMTS support.

P.S. Who says you have to be the driver? You could be a passenger in the car. You could be on a train. You could be on a bus. You could be at a restaurant having your morning coffee. Etc.

I personally don't "need" UMTS right now, but I sure as hell want it, and would pay $25 a month for unlimited data for it if it if I had a UMTS-capable iPhone. Too bad costs for data plans in Canada so stupidly high. They were actually somewhat reasonable when Fido was still Fido. Now that Fido is owned by Rogers, such plans don't exist at all.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2007, 12:13 AM

Engadget are being pretty bitchy about the phone, but you can't count on bloggers to make good journalists.

Like when that Gizmodo fooled everyone into thinking the iPhone was being released on Monday, and then when it turned out to be the Cisco crap, he delivered all these platitudes about names, reality, information, etc.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2007, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post

We do actually

But anyway when are you more than 4 houses down before you find an open one.

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2007, 12:15 AM

nice shots

is it big? it looks big...but sweet

who wants to bet june relase = leopard integration

iwork+pdf attachment support = + pda function

i would also buy it w/o the phone

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2007, 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
He's only looking at an additional $40+ a month for unlimited data if he gets a Data Connect plan, which may NOT be necessary. The Smartphone unlimited plans are $19.99/month and the regular MediaMax plans are also $19.99/month.

I've been with AT&T/Cingular since 2002. I should know how much their unlimited data plans cost.
Jeezus, I'd hope it wouldn't be $80/month. $20/month I'd be willing to pay.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2007, 12:19 AM

I can't believe the sudden hang up on the small amount of people who need UTMS and will pay for it.

The coverage isn't around well enough (if at all) and everyones panties are in a bunch over needing it.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2007, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by ironknee View Post
nice shots

is it big? it looks big...but sweet

who wants to bet june relase = leopard integration

iwork+pdf attachment support = + pda function

i would also buy it w/o the phone
It's not much bigger than the iPod now and a little thinner. June release is because its not FCC approved yet. It looks better in person than on the screen shots.

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2007, 12:26 AM

Obviously EDGE is the only mobile internet connection this phone or future iPhones will support. Apple surely has no plans to upgrade this.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 10, 2007, 12:27 AM

I can't believe the sudden hang up on the small amount of people who need UTMS and will pay for it.

The coverage isn't around well enough (if at all) and everyones panties are in a bunch over needing it.
I'm not bitching about it, it's not a deal breaker for me.

I'm just surprised, since Apple likes to call themselves so cutting edge, but EDGE is not cutting edge. UMTS is. At any rate, Steve already said that they will be adding true 3G (=UMTS) capability later. Good enough for me.

-t

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2007, 12:28 AM

As long as it has Wifi, I'd use it for free and call it a day.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 10, 2007, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by awaspaas View Post
Obviously EDGE is the only mobile internet connection this phone or future iPhones will support. Apple surely has no plans to upgrade this.
You forgot.

[/sarcasm]

I'm not sure everyone will get it otherwise.

-t

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2007, 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
The entire downtown core in Toronto has indeed free wifi. Just a fyi

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Jan 10, 2007, 12:30 AM

In Canada, no.

In the US, basically every major city has good and cheap UMTS support. We're talking 400-1000 Kbps download speeds. With EDGE were talking something like 80 usually.

The two things I dislike the most about Rogers:

1) They killed the uber cheap unlimited data plan Fido had. This is what happens when you have a GSM monopoly.
2) Forced 850 support. Tri-band 900/1800/1900 phones on Fido rocked. On Rogers, not so much (at least initially), cuz they are heavy into 850.

Now, most people aren't gonna be buying heavy duty data plans. But then again, most people aren't buying $600 phones (with a 2 year contract) either. People who do buy these uber expensive smartphones are the ones more likely to want unlimited data.

Fortunately, 3G is coming. Jobs said so himself. It would only make sense anyway, as any high end smartphone in 2008 will need 3G support.

Originally Posted by Mastrap View Post
The entire downtown core in Toronto has indeed free wifi. Just a fyi
$29 a month starting in March. Plus coverage is crappy in the downtown core. And west of about Spadina, coverage is non-existent.
( Last edited by Eug Wanker; Jan 10, 2007 at 12:37 AM. )

Visnaut
Senior User
Jan 10, 2007, 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by Spook E View Post
Engadget is also saying that they don't believe the phone will be available to third party developers to whip up programs for it, surely that can't be true? It would be a disaster if it was the case. Hopefully, we'd still be able to make our own widgets for it. Someone should get cracking on a powerpoint/word/excel viewer widget.
Can't find any mention of that on Engadget. Care to share? Also, an office format viewer widget would be hard to pull off with html/javascript, if we are to assume widgets are not functionally different than ones from the Dashboard.

I too think it would reek if only Apple, or "trusted" developers were able to develop software for it, though not unlikely, given how tightly Apple wants to control its user experience. Witness the "Made for iPod" program, and the iPod games (still no public APIs for that one).

Also, it seems quite likely that we won't see this in Canada or other places until a carrier is willing to implement Apple's proprietary visual voicemail into their networks. Given how glacially Rogers does anything up here, it could be a while. Maybe Fido could go in for the kill, but I doubt it.

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Jan 10, 2007, 01:00 AM

What's really disappointing is that, with a scaled-down iWork app or with integrated Google Docs and Spreadsheets, this could truly be an evolved Newton. D:

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Jan 10, 2007, 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by butterfly0fdoom View Post
What's really disappointing is that, with a scaled-down iWork app or with integrated Google Docs and Spreadsheets, this could truly be an evolved Newton. D:
On that note, I was actually half-expecting some sort of handwriting recognition.

The demo of the qwerty seems reasonable though, even for people suffering from fat-finger-syndrome. The demo clearly shows people making mistakes, but the built-in dictionary corrects them as you type.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jan 10, 2007, 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by Visnaut View Post
Can't find any mention of that on Engadget. Care to share? Also, an office format viewer widget would be hard to pull off with html/javascript, if we are to assume widgets are not functionally different than ones from the Dashboard.

I too think it would reek if only Apple, or "trusted" developers were able to develop software for it, though not unlikely, given how tightly Apple wants to control its user experience. Witness the "Made for iPod" program, and the iPod games (still no public APIs for that one).

Also, it seems quite likely that we won't see this in Canada or other places until a carrier is willing to implement Apple's proprietary visual voicemail into their networks. Given how glacially Rogers does anything up here, it could be a while. Maybe Fido could go in for the kill, but I doubt it.
He might be thinking of this article:
The iPhone is not a smartphone - Engadget

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2007, 01:22 AM

I honestly doubt they would keep the widgets closed from developers. That would be pretty brazen. Some of the greatest OS X widgets come from third parties, and Apple knows that. And as for the lack of wifi syncing and iTunes store purchasing in the phone, again, do they honestly not realize that the software on this thing is the easiest thing of all to update? I'm sure it has a software update that looks a lot like OS X's... do a little update to the iPod software and *BOOM* iTunes store support! *BOOM* Wifi syncing! *BOOM* More widgets!

Sorry about the BOOMs. Still a little keynote fever.

himself
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2007, 01:26 AM

How could anyone think Apple would release a product like the iPhone with only limited Mac integration? I'm willing to guarantee, with the release of 10.5 and the new iWork suite, you will see the iPhone become an incredible platform for mobility. As an example, imagine delivering and controlling a Keynote presentation from this device, or delivering that presentation over a conference call, on the road, while slipstreaming live data from the internet into the presentation. My imagination isn't as prolific as Apple's, but I imagine they have a number of incredible things up their sleeves with the iPhone (and 10.5 et.al.).

And I think it would be silly for Apple to close the iPhone to 3rd party developers, especially after making a point to mention how it runs OS X and Cocoa.
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

Forum Links
Forum Rules