Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Adobe Photoshop 7

Adobe Photoshop 7
Thread Tools
NateB
Junior Member
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 2, 2008, 12:24 PM
 
I own Adobe Photoshop 7 for my PC, I'm wondering if it's possible to also install PS7 on a Mac (specifically MacBook) without having to purchase the $600(?) software for it again. Or is there perhaps an Apple program that I can maybe show them that I already own the software and they'll give me a free copy?
Mind you, I want legal options .
     
rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Join Date: Sep 2000
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 2, 2008, 12:38 PM
 
No, but you could run Windows on your machine via Boot Camp or Parallels.
     
NateB  (op)
Junior Member
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 2, 2008, 12:41 PM
 
Originally Posted by rjenkinson View Post
No, but you could run Windows on your machine via Boot Camp or Parallels.
As I do not have a Mac yet (but soon will), I don't really know how to use Boot Camp; hopefully I will figure it out once I have a Mac.
Two questions:
  1. Does Boot Camp need to be purchased? Or is it a default program that comes with any MacBook?
  2. How would I set the operating system I want to use for Boot Camp? I.E. Vista or XP. Do I have to use a Vista/XP install disk? Or is there an option in the configuration window or what-not?
Thanks.
     
OreoCookie
Moderator
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Hilbert space
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 2, 2008, 01:02 PM
 
You can also purchase Photoshop Elements (~$100) or Pixelmator ($49, I think), if you could do with PS7 up until now, I doubt you really need to spend extra money for CS3.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
     
NateB  (op)
Junior Member
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 2, 2008, 01:03 PM
 
Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
You can also purchase Photoshop Elements (~$100) or Pixelmator ($49, I think), you don't need to shell out $600 unless you want to do really funky things.
Well, I'm use to Photoshop 7, I've had it for around five years. I don't want to downgrade. If anything, I want to upgrade to Creative Suite 3.
( Last edited by NateB; Jul 2, 2008 at 01:18 PM. )
     
64stang06
Mac Elite
Join Date: Aug 2007
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 2, 2008, 01:28 PM
 
Originally Posted by NateB View Post
As I do not have a Mac yet (but soon will), I don't really know how to use Boot Camp; hopefully I will figure it out once I have a Mac.
Two questions:
  1. Does Boot Camp need to be purchased? Or is it a default program that comes with any MacBook?
  2. How would I set the operating system I want to use for Boot Camp? I.E. Vista or XP. Do I have to use a Vista/XP install disk? Or is there an option in the configuration window or what-not?
Thanks.
1. Boot Camp is part of 10.5.
2. You need a valid copy of Windows (XP SP2 or Vista), which is purchased separately.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3
     
NateB  (op)
Junior Member
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 2, 2008, 01:33 PM
 
Originally Posted by 64stang06 View Post
1. Boot Camp is part of 10.5.
2. You need a valid copy of Windows (XP SP2 or Vista), which is purchased separately.
So what you're saying is I need to purchase Vista or XP again to use it with Boot Camp? If so, how much does it cost for Vista?
     
OreoCookie
Moderator
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Hilbert space
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 2, 2008, 01:39 PM
 
Originally Posted by NateB View Post
Well, I'm use to Photoshop 7, I've had it for around five years. I don't want to downgrade. If anything, I want to upgrade to Creative Suite 3.
You're not going to downgrade, it's an upgrade. Photoshop has seen at least four updates, the latest version of PSE will be more advanced than your copy of PS7.

If you use Boot Camp, you'd have to boot Windows every time you want to edit an image -- hardly practical. If you have a non-OEM version of XP, then you can use that.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
     
NateB  (op)
Junior Member
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 2, 2008, 01:43 PM
 
Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
You're not going to downgrade, it's an upgrade. Photoshop has seen at least four updates, the latest version of PSE will be more advanced than your copy of PS7.

If you use Boot Camp, you'd have to boot Windows every time you want to edit an image -- hardly practical. If you have a non-OEM version of XP, then you can use that.
Oh, okay--thanks. I didn't know that .
Please explain "non-OEM," I don't know what that means .
     
64stang06
Mac Elite
Join Date: Aug 2007
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 2, 2008, 02:26 PM
 
"Non-OEM" means the disc is retail and not one bundled with a PC.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3
     
NateB  (op)
Junior Member
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 2, 2008, 02:34 PM
 
Originally Posted by 64stang06 View Post
"Non-OEM" means the disc is retail and not one bundled with a PC.
Thanks! Now I understand .
     
olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Dec 1999
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 2, 2008, 02:36 PM
 
If you're in college or have kids in college, Adobe's higher-education pricing is really aggressive, only $250 for the Design edition of CS3 (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, and Acrobat.)

Edit: Oops, that's licensing through their program. $400 for student. Still a good deal.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts
     
NateB  (op)
Junior Member
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 2, 2008, 02:38 PM
 
Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
If you're in college or have kids in college, Adobe's higher-education pricing is really aggressive, only $250 for the Design edition of CS3 (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, and Acrobat.)
The problem is, I don't have enough money to spend on the MacBook and it's accessories as well as the iPhone and it's plan. I want to continue to use Photoshop, but I don't have the funds right now to afford it; even if I can get the higher-educational pricing discount from Adobe.
     
Gavin
Mac Elite
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Seattle
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 8, 2008, 04:35 AM
 
photoshop 7 should run (more or less) under wine - a free windows emulator

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...rsion&iId=1336

installing wine can be a big hassle - there are commercial alternatives that are easier to install
You can take the dude out of So Cal, but you can't take the dude outta the dude, dude!
     
OreoCookie
Moderator
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Hilbert space
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 8, 2008, 04:51 AM
 
Why don't you download the free trials of Photoshop Elements and/or Pixelmator and try them out?
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
     
   
Thread Tools
 
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:50 PM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2017 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.,