Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > How to physically remove cd from 20 iMac

How to physically remove cd from 20 iMac
artlewis
Oct 12, 2009, 06:10 PM

This is a followup to an earlier post today.
I've despaired of finding a software/keyboard way to remove a renegade 4.2 DiskWarrior cd from the optical drive on a stock 20 inch iMac (white). Is there a method by which this can be done manually without taking the machine apart or the optical drive out?
I was really closing to using the hammer.

amazing
Professional Poster
Oct 12, 2009, 07:29 PM

There are many ways to eject. First off, do you have any virtualization software running, Parallels, Sheepshaver, stuff like that--because these are likely to have grabbed onto the optical disk. Go to the virtualization, if it's running, and eject from there. Or quit the software, then eject from the Mac.

Easiest way is to restart the Mac and immediately hold the mouse key down until the disk ejects. This automatically quits any software that might be holding onto the disk.

P
Oct 13, 2009, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by artlewis View Post
This is a followup to an earlier post today.
I've despaired of finding a software/keyboard way to remove a renegade 4.2 DiskWarrior cd from the optical drive on a stock 20 inch iMac (white). Is there a method by which this can be done manually without taking the machine apart or the optical drive out?
I was really closing to using the hammer.
There is a way, but the power needs to be on. The slot extends a few millimeters further upwards than the actual slot does, and up there at the top there is a small button inside the slot in the case. You can just about barely see it, if you fold the away the fabric from the slot and shine a light into it. Use the infamous straightened paperclip to push that button, and the disc will eject.

It really should eject if you hold the mousebutton down before you start the machine and keep it down, however.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

amazing
Professional Poster
Oct 13, 2009, 11:11 AM

And since you've got such a nice wide screen, you can also add an eject button to the top menubar. I've found that ejecting from the menubar will sometimes work when the keyboard eject button doesn't work.

Here's how to put the button in the menubar:

go to Sytem/Library/Core Services/Menu Extras/ and then double-click Eject.menu

you can delete the eject menubar button by option-dragging it off the menubar.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 18, 2009, 10:08 AM

Two wonderfully useful tips there, P and amazing! I have a 20" iMac and didn't know about the hidden button. I also didn't know you could stick a command like "eject" in the menu bar. Wonderful stuff, this. Thanks!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Oct 20, 2009, 03:10 PM

credit card. held behind the disc inside the drive and levered out as you press the eject button helps lever the disc off the spindle.Can scratch the disc (and the card) though.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

El Gato
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 24, 2009, 02:24 PM

Command-Option-O-F to boot into Open Firmware
"eject cd" at the prompt

Forum Links
Forum Rules