Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The Mist

The Mist
olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Dec 3, 2007, 05:57 PM

Woo! What a fun movie. Very Lovecraftian for a Stephen King movie.

( Last edited by olePigeon; Dec 3, 2007 at 08:44 PM. )
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

pooka
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2007, 06:05 PM

Movie pissed me off. I really wanted to like it. The "nagging bitch" scenes were too over the top and irritating.

New, Improved and Legal in 50 States

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Dec 3, 2007, 07:59 PM

I rather enjoyed it. Steven King writes a mean story and its nice to see a movie that does one justice (I know, I know. There have been other good Steven King books turned into good movies, but then again there have been some bad ones.)

I thought the movie was well done, well acted, and the special effects not too overly cheezy for a horror/monster film.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Dec 3, 2007, 08:03 PM

Stephen

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

finboy
Dec 3, 2007, 08:11 PM

OFFTOPIC: Strange, but my Safari (in Jaguar) no longer works at MacNN.

Now, back to the movie:

"The Mist" is one of my favorite stories, for its potential and clarity. Stephen King is a master of his craft, and I've read almost everything he's ever written, especially his analysis of his craft, and different genres, etc. I admire his genius a great deal, and his understanding of his business.

I read a few weeks ago that he liked Darabont's ending to the movie. So, my wife, who's also a big fan, arranged for a babysitter so we could go see this on the opening day.

I want my two hours back.

The movie rolls along great right up until the last 5 minutes. I wish I could just scrub that part from my brain.

For those of you who have kids, you'll understand. For those of you who are too young to have kids, when you get to that point you'll understand. Of course, DVDs of this movie will be hard to find then. It's not a holiday classic.

It's not like it NEEDED this ending, it could have been something less depressing yet still horrorful. I think King is growing contemptuous of his fanbase, and the Teeming Millions in general. That's the only way I can understand what he said about it. Either that, or he KNEW that word-of-mouth would kill it (it has) and deliberately did this to pump the first two weeks. Not unheard of, but you can bet I'll take this into account the next time I consider something with him attached to it.

Horrible ending. I woke up with nightmares for two days. My wife and I had to declare the topic off-limits because it was so shocking for us. And unnecessary.

If you haven't seen it but want to, you'd better hurry up. It won't be in theatres too much longer.
( Last edited by finboy; Dec 3, 2007 at 08:17 PM. Reason: An Epiphany)

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Dec 3, 2007, 08:45 PM

I'm trying read the book, but so far it really hasn't captured my attention. Its not a large book either, especially for King who seems to have diarrhea of the mouth, errr um keyboard.

Dakal The Fifth
Baninated
Dec 4, 2007, 03:42 PM

I found it interesting. An alternate dimension opens up by army scientists allowing a mist-filled bug world to spill into our own. Cool idea. The ending was horrifying but hopeful. The guy could still kill himself. I wonder if the folks in the store lived. I see a sequel, for sure.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2007, 03:45 PM

Dakal?
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Forum Links
Forum Rules