Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > OW5.0 final is out

OW5.0 final is out (Page 9)
Thain Esh Kelch
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 19, 2004, 08:11 PM

Originally posted by drainyoo:
The cache. They greatly improved the cache in Beta 4.
Actually its due to the updated WebCore. (WebKit? Never know the difference)

drainyoo
Senior User
Nov 19, 2004, 08:37 PM

Originally posted by Thain Esh Kelch:
Actually its due to the updated WebCore. (WebKit? Never know the difference)
No. The webcore was updated for 5.1 but the betas prior 4 were slower. For beta 4, OmniGroup focus mainly on the cache thats why its faster.
i hate project managers.

Spirit_VW
Senior User
Nov 20, 2004, 03:20 AM

Wow, with its cache fixed, OW flies on my Macs now. I'm extremely, extremely impressed. OW5 is now my default browser. Thanks, OmniTeam - you guys absolutely rock.
Kevin Buchanan
Fort Worthology

pliny
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2004, 09:20 AM

OW 5.1b4 been berrry, berrry good to me.
i look in your general direction

philcozz
Forum Regular
Nov 20, 2004, 12:33 PM

My one complaint remains: you still need to know the first letter(s) of a link to get to it via "find as you type." Firefox, Camino, and Safari (with the small app fiwt) all can find any part of a link (as well as non-links). OW should be able to do this too.

Otherwise, a nice browser.

Le Flaneur
Senior User
Nov 20, 2004, 01:39 PM

Originally posted by pliny:
OW 5.1b4 been berrry, berrry good to me.
Pretty good to me, except that I've managed to get it to crash within 24 hours of downloading it

GeeYouEye
Nov 21, 2004, 03:26 PM

b4 is nice (and better at scrolling through pages with lots of checkboxes... no more tearing, yay!), except for one thing: in addition to rendering some text that used to be too small correctly, it renders some that was correct too big. MacOSXHints.com, for example.
I bring order to chaos. You are in chaos windows, you are the contradiction, a bug wishing to be an OS.

JKT
Professional Poster
Nov 22, 2004, 08:07 AM

Originally posted by philcozz:
My one complaint remains: you still need to know the first letter(s) of a link to get to it via "find as you type." Firefox, Camino, and Safari (with the small app fiwt) all can find any part of a link (as well as non-links). OW should be able to do this too.

Otherwise, a nice browser.
There is a way to activate this in OmniWeb if you really must have it, but it is still in a rough-around-the-edges state so I wouldn't recommend it. In other words, it is a feature that OG have looked to implement but it needs more work and may be in a later release.

JKT
Professional Poster
Nov 22, 2004, 08:08 AM

Originally posted by GeeYouEye:
b4 is nice (and better at scrolling through pages with lots of checkboxes... no more tearing, yay!), except for one thing: in addition to rendering some text that used to be too small correctly, it renders some that was correct too big. MacOSXHints.com, for example.
Site specific preferences.

If it is markedly different to the way Safari renders it, then let OG know as it should look the same.

HOMBRESINIESTRO
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 22, 2004, 08:25 AM

Is OW 5.1 going to be localized in different languages when it reaches GM? This would be so great...
Scarcely pausing for breath, Vroomfondel shouted, "We DON'T demand solid facts! What we demand is the total ABSENCE of solid facts. I demand that I may or may not be Vroomfondel!"

nooon
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 22, 2004, 10:31 AM

does anyone have a killer rule-set for the ad blocker? my regex-knowledge is kinda rusty.

(yes I know I can filter images by command-clicking them and choose image->filer image, but I want more general rules)

drainyoo
Senior User
Nov 22, 2004, 10:39 AM

Originally posted by nooon:
does anyone have a killer rule-set for the ad blocker? my regex-knowledge is kinda rusty.

(yes I know I can filter images by command-clicking them and choose image->filer image, but I want more general rules)
The general rule is to find the most generic url for that specific ad server and ad a .* before and after. So lets say a site you are surfing uses doubleclick, in your block list add

.*doubleclick.*

The .* means that anything can be before or after doubleclick. If you need to have a "." in the url for example ad.doubleclick.com then you need to put a "\" before each "."

So ad.doubleclick.com would be .*ad\.doubleclick\.com.*
i hate project managers.

nooon
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 22, 2004, 10:45 AM

ok cool.
what about blocking /ads/ ?

(like www.site.com/ads/whatever)

drainyoo
Senior User
Nov 22, 2004, 11:01 AM

Originally posted by nooon:
ok cool.
what about blocking /ads/ ?

(like www.site.com/ads/whatever)
you can do .*ads.*
i hate project managers.

nooon
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 22, 2004, 12:07 PM

you can do .*ads.*
yeah, but that will stop files like /uploads/whatever.gif from loading..

.*/ads/.* seems to work better..

MacDog
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 22, 2004, 01:10 PM

I started to like OW, but then Firefox happened...
The Graphic Mac: Tips, tricks and commentary for design, Adobe and Mac OSX.

Spirit_VW
Senior User
Nov 22, 2004, 01:35 PM

Originally posted by MacDog:
I started to like OW, too, but then Firefox happened...and I still like OW better.
Kevin Buchanan
Fort Worthology

Macanoid
Senior User
Nov 22, 2004, 01:40 PM

same here I find that on my dual 2.5 OW is just as fast as Firefox. Plus, I'm hooked on OW's tabs

drainyoo
Senior User
Nov 22, 2004, 01:42 PM

I just cant deal with Firefox not using OSX style widgets. I just cant force myself to use it cause of that one reason. Also the preference window isnt OSX compliant.

OW just feels MAC to me. Its fits in perfectly with OSX.
i hate project managers.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 22, 2004, 02:02 PM

Originally posted by MacDog:
Firefox = great on Windows. On MacOS X, its still got some issues. Reportedly, these will be fixed in version 1.1, but I find scrolling to be horribly slow & choppy and the non-native interface to be a bit clunky.

OW, on the other hand, is smooth as silk on all of my machines (DP2.0G5, 1.4GHz GigE G4, rev. C 12" PBG4). And the improved cache in the latest beta version helps quite a bit.


bewebste
Senior User
Nov 22, 2004, 03:39 PM

The cache is indeed much improved in the new beta, and it's especially noticeable when on dial-up.

I noticed in the release notes that they say they now treat a user-initiated reload and an automatic refresh (usually through a meta tag) differently it terms of what elements of the page get refetched and which are loaded from the cache. I found one place where this doesn't work too well, which is on my page at my.yahoo.com, where one of the things on the page is some charts for stock quotes. The page refreshes regularly, but when it does, the chart doesn't get refetched, so at 1:00 PM it was still showing the first chart it got, back from 9:00 AM. I don't know if there's really a good solution that handles all cases correctly but uses the cache as much as it can though. On the plus side though, my browser history no longer has 200 My Yahoo! items in it at the end of the day. Yay!

nooon
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 22, 2004, 03:47 PM

I just noticed that torrent-files are corrupted when I download them in OmniWeb, but not in Firefox..

Spirit_VW
Senior User
Nov 22, 2004, 05:06 PM

Originally posted by bewebste:
The cache is indeed much improved in the new beta, and it's especially noticeable when on dial-up.
Yes. Yes it is.

My one last hope is that the cache gets used even after OW quits. As it is right now I have to keep OW running and just hide/close the window. When you quit OW, it reloads every page regardless of whether or not it's been cached.

Note - NOT A BIG DEAL, though. With OW being so much faster and more usable now I am more than willing to keep it open.
Kevin Buchanan
Fort Worthology

Le Flaneur
Senior User
Nov 22, 2004, 07:09 PM

Originally posted by Spirit_VW:
I started to like OW, too, but then Firefox happened...and I still like OW better.
It's definitely an improvement, but it crashes a lot more frequently than previous betas. I'm seeing at least two crashes per day.

Anyone else?

cpac
Professional Poster
Nov 22, 2004, 07:45 PM

Originally posted by Le Flaneur:
It's definitely an improvement, but it crashes a lot more frequently than previous betas. I'm seeing at least two crashes per day.

Anyone else?
Nope. More stable on my end.

You may want to quit, delete cache files at least, possibly delete history, and (if you're not invested) things like bookmarks, workspaces, and preferences.
cpac

Mike S.
Senior User
Nov 22, 2004, 08:02 PM

I've been using this beta daily as my primary browser since it was released and I've not had a single crash yet.

I always completely delete the folder com.omnigroup.OmniWeb5 from ~/Library/Caches before running a new build and after any crash that may occur.

It seems to run much more reliably that way.

drainyoo
Senior User
Nov 22, 2004, 08:13 PM

Originally posted by Mike S.:
I've been using this beta daily as my primary browser since it was released and I've not had a single crash yet.

I always completely delete the folder com.omnigroup.OmniWeb5 from ~/Library/Caches before running a new build and after any crash that may occur.

It seems to run much more reliably that way.
Yep, same here. No crashes and I also deleted the cache files when I install a new beta.
i hate project managers.

yskar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 22, 2004, 11:57 PM

I just cant deal with Firefox not using OSX style widgets. I just cant force myself to use it cause of that one reason. Also the preference window isnt OSX compliant.

OW just feels MAC to me. Its fits in perfectly with OSX.
Agreed.
Even though I admit Firefox runs faster (at least on my PB 12"), I feel much more fun when using OW.
IMHO OmniWeb is the most compliant browser to Mac OS X HIG, even compared to Safari.

philcozz
Forum Regular
Nov 23, 2004, 12:08 AM

Originally posted by JKT:
There is a way to activate this in OmniWeb if you really must have it, but it is still in a rough-around-the-edges state so I wouldn't recommend it. In other words, it is a feature that OG have looked to implement but it needs more work and may be in a later release.
When you say "rough-around-the-edges" how bad do you mean? I'd like to try and add it if it's not a MAJOR issue. Can you share that?

RedHerring
Forum Regular
Nov 23, 2004, 12:17 AM

Originally posted by Macanoid:
same here I find that on my dual 2.5 OW is just as fast as Firefox. Plus, I'm hooked on OW's tabs
I've seen people say something like this before, so now I'm curious...

How much is a browsers speed dependent on the computer it's running on? Obviously a very old computer would be slower at processing images and what not, but should there be a big difference between recent (as in a year or so) G4/G5s?

Just wondering if that could explain the semi-sluggishness of OW on my 1 Ghz G4...
RedHerring: Trying to do more than convert air into carbon dioxide since 1979...

RedHerring
Forum Regular
Nov 23, 2004, 12:24 AM

Does anyone else's computer begin to lag terribly when OW is opening several tabs at once? I open all of my "news" tabs at once in Safari & Firefox and nothing... no system-wide slow down. But when I do the same in OW, the entire system slows down until the majority of the sites are rendered. And this is with the tabs minimized... not with the graphical thumbnail tabs.

Could just be me I suppose... the guys at OG weren't able to reproduce it, so I'm thinking no one else will either! But never hurts to ask... haha.
RedHerring: Trying to do more than convert air into carbon dioxide since 1979...

Le Flaneur
Senior User
Nov 23, 2004, 12:47 AM

Yep, same here. No crashes and I also deleted the cache files when I install a new beta.
I've deleted the cache files, history, bookmarks, and prefs. I'm still seeing fairly consistent crashes when I try to upload files.

Perhaps you guys aren't uploading files?

workerbee
Mac Elite
Nov 23, 2004, 02:45 AM

Originally posted by Mike S.:
Same here. b4 has not crashed once here (yet) and is right up there with the big boys speed-wise
(Of course none of the othere even come close to the feature set and elegance of implementation).

@RedHerring: what is "Caffiene"?
MBP 15" 2.33GHz C2D 3GB 2*23" ACD

RedHerring
Forum Regular
Nov 23, 2004, 03:27 AM

@RedHerring: what is "Caffiene"?
Haha... thanks for the head's up. I can't spell to save my life!

JKT
Professional Poster
Nov 23, 2004, 07:47 AM

Originally posted by RedHerring:
I've seen people say something like this before, so now I'm curious...

How much is a browsers speed dependent on the computer it's running on? Obviously a very old computer would be slower at processing images and what not, but should there be a big difference between recent (as in a year or so) G4/G5s?

Just wondering if that could explain the semi-sluggishness of OW on my 1 Ghz G4...
I believe I'm right in saying that in the case of OmniWeb, dual processor machines are going to have some advantage as it is a multi-processor aware application (although not as much as it used to be owing to the switch to the Safari rendering engine - one of the few negatives of the switch). However, I think the biggest impact on the performance is going to depend on how much RAM you have - OW does like a lot of RAM. If you are seeing OW have an impact on other apps, it is most likely that it is due to paging of memory.

Have you reported the crashes due to uploading to OmniGroup? This isn't something I do and beta 4 has been particularly stable for me.

JKT
Professional Poster
Nov 23, 2004, 08:23 AM

Originally posted by philcozz:
When you say "rough-around-the-edges" how bad do you mean? I'd like to try and add it if it's not a MAJOR issue. Can you share that?
It was rough enough not to make it into 5.1 so read into that what you will - to activate it type (or better yet, copy/paste) this command in a Terminal window and press enter to input it:

defaults write com.omnigroup.OmniWeb5 TextFindAsYouType -bool true

This will add a string to your com.omnigroup.OmniWeb5.plist preference file to activate this hidden default. Restart OmniWeb, and use "/" to start an incremental find. That is, with the focus on the window contents (not the location bar or a text input area), press / and then enter the text you wish to find. If you have the status bar active (command-\) you will see in it the following text appear:

Finding String "whateveryouhavetyped"

and the closest match to that string will receive a focus ring or highlight.

OmniGroup would like you to know that this is an unstable and unsupported feature at present so use at your own risk. If you find it interferes with your use of the app type the same thing except with false in place of true (or if you have the Developer tools installed, use Property List Editor to delete the TextFindAsYouType entry from the com.omnigroup.OmniWeb5.plist).

philcozz
Forum Regular
Nov 23, 2004, 09:27 AM

Originally posted by JKT:
It was rough enough not to make it into 5.1 so read into that what you will - to activate it type (or better yet, copy/paste) this command in a Terminal window and press enter to input it:

defaults write com.omnigroup.OmniWeb5 TextFindAsYouType -bool true

This will add a string to your com.omnigroup.OmniWeb5.plist preference file to activate this hidden default. Restart OmniWeb, and use "/" to start an incremental find. That is, with the focus on the window contents (not the location bar or a text input area), press / and then enter the text you wish to find. If you have the status bar active (command-\) you will see in it the following text appear:

Finding String "whateveryouhavetyped"

and the closest match to that string will receive a focus ring or highlight.

OmniGroup would like you to know that this is an unstable and unsupported feature at present so use at your own risk. If you find it interferes with your use of the app type the same thing except with false in place of true (or if you have the Developer tools installed, use Property List Editor to delete the TextFindAsYouType entry from the com.omnigroup.OmniWeb5.plist).
Thanks. I'll give it a shot.

**EDIT**

Well, it works as advertised... Unfortunately, when you find a link this way, hitting return doesn't open the link. Oh well... It's one step closer!

Thanks again.
( Last edited by philcozz; Nov 23, 2004 at 10:25 AM. )

cpac
Professional Poster
Nov 23, 2004, 10:39 AM

Perhaps you guys aren't uploading files?
Well I know I'm not.

So I'd send in your crash reports and note that they seem to be related to uploading files (and give whatever additional details might be helpful).
cpac

Tim2 at Omni
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 23, 2004, 01:44 PM

Anyone else?
Private message me your email address and I'll search through our crash reports to see what's going on (you have been sending your crash reports, right? ).

I'm sorry it's so unstable for you; other people have definitely been getting better results.
Tim Omernick
Engineer, The Omni Group

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Nov 28, 2004, 01:05 PM

Random suggestion: A common usage pattern (for me, at least) is to have a bunch of frequently updated tab groups in bookmarks (forums, blogs, etc...), and just open those, middle click any new content I'm interested in, then close the tab. A possibly significant optimization that could be made for that usage pattern is to either load the first tab then load the others, or just prioritize the first tab a lot. This would result in readable content appearing earlier, and then the rest loading while I read that.

BZ
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 1, 2004, 06:26 PM

http://macteens.com/more.php?id=561_0_1_0_C

OmniWeb 5.1 Wins Browser Wars 2.0!

GO OMNIWEB!

BZ
( Last edited by BZ; Dec 2, 2004 at 11:16 AM. )

yskar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 2, 2004, 11:09 AM

Originally posted by BZ:
http://macteens.com/more.php?id=561_0_1_0_C

OmniWeb 5.1 Wins Browser Was 2.0!

GO OMNIWEB!

pliny
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2004, 09:25 AM

anybody have a yahoo search shortcut? thanks!

gregomni
Forum Regular
Dec 5, 2004, 12:13 PM

anybody have a yahoo search shortcut? thanks!
1) Go to yahoo
2) control-click on the 'search the web' field
3) choose 'Add Search Shortcut...' at the bottom of the context menu that pops up
4) press the 'Add Shortcut' button on the sheet that comes up.

Now you can type "yahoo X" in the location bar to search for X.

pliny
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2004, 03:29 PM

whoa, very cool! thanks a bunch greg.

pliny
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2004, 03:37 PM

thanks for letting me know about this(i suppose i sohuld have rtm) great feature.

this is the easiest way to add a search engine i've seen yet! just control select and that's it everyhting is added in and works like a charm.

cpac
Professional Poster
Dec 6, 2004, 04:30 PM

this is the easiest way to add a search engine i've seen yet! just control select and that's it everyhting is added in and works like a charm.
The only thing easier is pushing the magnifying glass button in the status bar. (which does the same thing)
cpac

pliny
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2004, 07:44 PM

hmm, haven't gotten that result here. when i push the glass i get a drop down of what's already available and an option to search where i am, but no option to *add* the site or engine.

GeeYouEye
Dec 7, 2004, 01:48 AM

hmm, haven't gotten that result here. when i push the glass i get a drop down of what's already available and an option to search where i am, but no option to *add* the site or engine.
Status Bar (at the bottom), not the toolbar
I bring order to chaos. You are in chaos windows, you are the contradiction, a bug wishing to be an OS.

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 7, 2004, 02:37 AM

Originally posted by GeeYouEye:
Status Bar (at the bottom), not the toolbar
Which can be turned on via the View menu.
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

Forum Links
Forum Rules