Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Snow Leopard - A 1000 improvements!

Snow Leopard - A 1000 improvements! (Page 4)
Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 27, 2009, 04:46 PM

If you have a Pro license, QuickTime 7 is installed by default.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 27, 2009, 05:26 PM

QuickTime 7 or just the QuickTime Player 7?

I'm curious whether it actually installs another QuickTime framework (as reports appear to allege). I'm also curious what the framework version of the QuickTime used by QuickTime X Player is.

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2009, 06:17 PM

QuickTime X is the whole shebang. Except without some stuff. Which is probably why you can still install 7.

No, it doesn't have Open Image Sequence. As well as some other stuff.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 27, 2009, 07:13 PM

QT 7 vs QT X seems a lot like iMovie HD vs iMovie 7 all over again. Perhaps "QT X v10.1 Puma" will actually be feature complete.

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2009, 07:15 PM

I hope so. I like QTX a lot, but it seems silly to remove a lot of stuff while adding new stuff. Like iMovie like you said. I hope they fix QTX to be more like the iMovie '09 update in that it's everything it was plus everything it should be.

As long as they don't charge for it though.

kylef
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 28, 2009, 03:58 PM

Taking a screenshot using command+shift+3 (if you have dual monitors) saves it as two different images, one for each monitor.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Aug 28, 2009, 04:09 PM

57. New improved installer that refuses to install on disks that Leopard installed just fine on, and refuses to tell you why.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 28, 2009, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by kylef View Post
Taking a screenshot using command+shift+3 (if you have dual monitors) saves it as two different images, one for each monitor.
10.5 did exactly the same thing.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Aug 28, 2009, 04:27 PM

58. Wake on Demand

Pretty cool. You no longer have to leave a Mac with shared resources on all the time nor manually wake it if it's asleep.
Vandelay Industries

FireWire
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2009, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
58. Wake on Demand

Pretty cool. You no longer have to leave a Mac with shared resources on all the time nor manually wake it if it's asleep.
Note: This service requires an Apple AirPort Base Station or Time Capsule with firmware 7.4.2 or later installed.
New feature of 10.6.. which only requires an ultra-expensive router to work! I hate that when they tout something as a new feature.. only to reveal that you have to buy another device or service to make it work, like the back to my mac feature of iPhone 3.0 which requires a useless .Mac subscription

Cold Warrior
Aug 28, 2009, 08:48 PM

We now have a semi-helpful status of our notebook batteries:

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Aug 28, 2009, 08:54 PM

Battery Menu Info

This was in the Leopard betas for a bit.
Vandelay Industries

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 28, 2009, 08:55 PM

Hrm, I don't get that.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Aug 28, 2009, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Hrm, I don't get that.
Assuming you're talking about battery condition messages in the menu, you won't unless there is a problem.
Vandelay Industries

villalobos
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2009, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
We now have a semi-helpful status of our notebook batteries:
ha, it tells me "Condition: Replace now". :-)

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2009, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by zerostar View Post
NO update has been this "snappy" for me. Everything is instant and I am just on a 2.8GHz iMac... my HD2600 isn't even OpenCL supported either AFAIK.

The finder is instant, even cover flow is instant, seems like they pre-load everything and its just smooth... maybe that is why spotlight seemed to take FOREVER to update this time... But it's done and no slowness anymore... I open system prefs. boom. click a pane open. boom. close it. boom. its just instant on most things, leopard was fast, this just feels refined, and like built from the ground up if you know what I mean.
Seconded. I did not expect the snappiness to be that obvious. It really is.
That alone made SL a worthwhile upgrade

-t

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2009, 07:30 AM

AFP connections to our servers are snappier than ever. Connecting, browsing, even folders with lots of content is often near-instantaneous. The mysterious, over one minute long lags I had when connecting to certain 10.5 servers over a SSH tunneled connection are gone. And reconnecting works very well. Positively surprised.

kylef
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 29, 2009, 11:14 AM

When connecting to a wireless network, it now does a little graphic in the menu bar.

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
10.5 did exactly the same thing.
Oh, whoops!

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Aug 30, 2009, 04:26 PM

59. Software update used to show the 'New software is available for your computer'- title text even after all available new software had successfully been installed. It was so weirdly misleading. This has now been corrected.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Aug 30, 2009, 05:31 PM

AppleTalk is no longer available in 10.6
Vandelay Industries

msuper69
Professional Poster
Aug 30, 2009, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by Judge_Fire View Post
59. Software update used to show the 'New software is available for your computer'- title text even after all available new software had successfully been installed. It was so weirdly misleading. This has now been corrected.
I gave feedback on that ages ago. That was so un-Apple like.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 30, 2009, 08:15 PM

If you have a Pro license, QuickTime 7 is installed by default.
Didn't do that for me... got QuickTime X... which I see no problem with.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2009, 08:20 PM

Apologies - that was hearsay.

It didn't install here by default, either...I think.
( Last edited by Spheric Harlot; Aug 30, 2009 at 09:08 PM. )

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Aug 30, 2009, 08:22 PM

Are you looking in the Utilities folder for QuickTime Player 7? Every Mac that I installed SL on that had Pro registered had QT Player 7 installed too.
Vandelay Industries

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 30, 2009, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
Are you looking in the Utilities folder for QuickTime Player 7? Every Mac that I installed SL on that had Pro registered had QT Player 7 installed too.
Ditto. I hadn't realized it got moved to Utilities, as it had simply launched itself when needed.

davidbk1
Aug 30, 2009, 09:45 PM

My two things:
1. When renaming, the .app extension is now not selected as is the case with all other extensions.
2. ASCII files with no extension can now be opened by default with apps other than TextEdit.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 30, 2009, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by davidbk1 View Post
My two things:
1. When renaming, the .app extension is now not selected as is the case with all other extensions.
10.5 did this, no?

Ctrl-click on system prefs gives you the option to pick the preference pane you want. 10.5 did this, but only when system prefs was open. Now it does it even if system prefs aren't open.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 31, 2009, 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by AKcrab View Post
10.5 did this, no?

Ctrl-click on system prefs gives you the option to pick the preference pane you want. 10.5 did this, but only when system prefs was open. Now it does it even if system prefs aren't open.
There's some nice option-click action going on.

Go in any menu and press the option key. Some menu items will change.

Option-click Apple Menu - About this Mac becomes System Profiler.

Not 100% sure if that's new in SL, but I have never seen it in Leopard.

-t

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Aug 31, 2009, 01:00 AM

Option-clicking changing menus is not new. System Profiler in the Apple menu was new in Leopard.
Vandelay Industries

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 31, 2009, 06:20 AM

That's right. Option-click for Sys Profiler was already in Leopard. And the fact that some menu entries changing when you hold option has been in OS X for like... forever?

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2009, 08:34 AM

I think it was in System 7–Mac OS 9 as well.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 31, 2009, 09:35 AM

The option-key as a variation on standard menus, yes, but AFAIK, menus in "Classic" Systems were completely unable to actively respond to pressing and releasing the option key the way the menu commands in OS X do. The alternative commands were always shown on a separate line.

In fact, just clicking and holding would completely immobilize the entire system (even bringing down entire office networks if people perused the menu long enough to cause the network driver to time out).

P
Aug 31, 2009, 10:43 AM

The option-key as a variation on standard menus, yes, but AFAIK, menus in "Classic" Systems were completely unable to actively respond to pressing and releasing the option key the way the menu commands in OS X do. The alternative commands were always shown on a separate line.
I think they showed the alternate commands in place of the regular ones if you pressed option before pulling down the menu.

In fact, just clicking and holding would completely immobilize the entire system (even bringing down entire office networks if people perused the menu long enough to cause the network driver to time out).
But it sure was snappy!

Over time, Apple made certain background tasks use the MP_Lib, in effect making them preemptively multitasked, to avoid issues like that.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 31, 2009, 11:06 AM

Yep, the holding-down-option thing was there in the old Mac OS, but you had to do it before opening the menu. It didn't work live.
Chuck
___

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Aug 31, 2009, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by AKcrab View Post
10.5 did this, no?

Oh, it goes farther than that. There's now a whole API for giving your app a dock tile plug-in. Now, any app that wants to can update their Dock icon and their Dock menu without being actually running. No more custom code in the Dock app for iCal and Time Machine like the older versions of OS X did.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2009, 03:18 PM

Ah yes, now that y'all mention it, I remember that being the case.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 31, 2009, 03:20 PM

That's so weird — I could have sworn dock tile plugins existed in Leopard. Didn't iCal update even when not open?
Chuck
___

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 31, 2009, 03:37 PM

That's so weird — I could have sworn dock tile plugins existed in Leopard. Didn't iCal update even when not open?
IIRC, iCal was a nasty hack implemented in 10.4 because people had been complaining for five years. I believe iCal was the *only* app to have that capability.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Aug 31, 2009, 03:52 PM

I had always assumed that there was custom code in the Dock app for iCal and Time Machine. The fact that I can't find a dock tile plugin inside the bundle for each app in my Time Machine backup seems to bear that out.

At any rate, if there was any sort of API, it wasn't a public one. Now there is, and you can make dock plugins for your apps.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 31, 2009, 04:17 PM

Ah, I found it. I knew there was some API, though it turns out that you're right about it not being public. Ahruman’s Webthing � Blog Archive � The Mysteries of iCal, Revealed!
Chuck
___

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2009, 03:09 AM

Wow, I remember that menu thing. How it would halt the system while open.

Thank the dear lord for OS X. Can't believe we're almost 10 years into Steve's initial "for the next 20 years" speech.

- - e r i k - -  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 2, 2009, 08:24 PM

62. Option-click the volume icon in the menu bar for a secret menu to switch between sound inputs/outputs. Goodbye SoundMenu!

63. Renaming files on the desktop will animate the change in order. Sadly icons still stay in the same place in Finder windows no matter the view.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

- - e r i k - -  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 2, 2009, 08:49 PM

64. Option clicking the Sync menu will give you detailed info about when each of your items were synced, access to Sync Diagnostic and an option to Reset Sync Services. Option clicking the Airport menu will give you detailed information about your current connection, although I believe that was also in Leopard.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Sep 2, 2009, 09:59 PM

65. The NSURL object can now optionally take on alias-like functionality, thus giving all the Cocoa APIs that take NSURLs Carbon-like functionality. This is really cool, and way overdue.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 2, 2009, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by FireWire View Post
New feature of 10.6.. which only requires an ultra-expensive router to work! I hate that when they tout something as a new feature.. only to reveal that you have to buy another device or service to make it work, like the back to my mac feature of iPhone 3.0 which requires a useless .Mac subscription
It's more manual, but you can have the exact same functionality by being aware of the MACs of the various machines on your network, and using an application to send a "magic packet" to that NIC to wake it up.

This will only work with machines wired to your network (wireless cards have no way of staying connected to the network while the machine is off; NICs are always connected and listening for the magic packet if WOL is enabled), but at least it's something.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

mackandproud
Forum Regular
Sep 3, 2009, 01:32 AM

1001. Quicktime has finally gotten rid of all the weird white border lines that popped up with mpg videos. It took a year and a half, but they finally fixed it!

1002. QTX is borderless and the controller is small and tidy and out of the way.

That is all.

Overall, I am impressed. SL is the best OS X to date. 10.3 was very good whereas 10.4 was rather slow and 10.5 was just buggy and weird. Way to go, Apple!

patrix
Sep 3, 2009, 08:23 AM

66. (negative one) you get a downgraded Adobe Flash, version 10.0.23, while the most recent was 10.0.32

67. Reading the review on Ars Technica, the way the space-saving was gained is quite interesting and clever! Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard: the Ars Technica review - Ars Technica files compressed into the extended attributes, small files (up to 128 bytes) stored in attributes instead of using a full 4k sector, etc.....

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 3, 2009, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by mackandproud View Post
1002. QTX is borderless and the controller is small and tidy and out of the way.
The opposite is true. The QuickTime X controller is not out of the way! It's in the way! And the window title bar is in the way too. And you cannot get them out of the way if the video is paused. I don't think I like that.

Now in Safari the movie controller also fades out, but when it fades in it does not cover the movie. That would have been the correct way to implement this in QuickTime Player as well in my opinion.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 3, 2009, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
The opposite is true. The QuickTime X controller is not out of the way! It's in the way! And the window title bar is in the way too. And you cannot get them out of the way if the video is paused. I don't think I like that.
Maybe these will be of interest to you.

No rounded corners for windows:
defaults write com.apple.QuickTimePlayerX MGCinematicWindowDebugForceNoRoundedCorners 1

Never display the control bar, function activated when the mouse icon leaves the playing windows:
defaults write com.apple.QuickTimePlayerX MGUIVisibilityNeverAutoshow 1

Always display the control bar:
defaults write com.apple.QuickTimePlayerX MGUIVisibilityNeverAutohide 1

Never display the title bar
defaults write com.apple.QuickTimePlayerX MGCinematicWindowDebugForceNoTitlebar 1

Play automatically the title when opening it:
defaults write com.apple.QuickTimePlayerX MGPlayMovieOnOpen 1

Display sub-titles automatically:
defaults write com.apple.QuickTimePlayerX MGEnableCCAndSubtitlesOnOpen 1

Maintain full-screen display, even though QT Player is the active application:
defaults write com.apple.QuickTimePlayerX MGFullScreenExitOnAppSwitch 0

Allow simultaneous recordings:
defaults write com.apple.QuickTimePlayerX MGAllowMultipleSimultaneousRecordings 1

Display frameworks version numbers of Quick Time Player X components :
defaults write com.apple.QuickTimePlayerX MGShowFrameworkVersions 1

Combine video display and audio when editing (timeline, activated when pressing "Alt" key)):
defaults write com.apple.QuickTimePlayerX MGTimelineDisableAudioTrackForVideoMovies 0

Additional function allowing you to display audio-less/silent sequences when pressing "Alt" key:
defaults write com.apple.QuickTimePlayerX MGTimelineShowSlientRangesWithModifierKey 1

http://www.hardmac.com/news/2009/09/...n-quick-time-x

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2009, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Maybe these will be of interest to you.

No rounded corners for windows:
defaults write com.apple.QuickTimePlayerX MGCinematicWindowDebugForceNoRoundedCorners 1

Never display the control bar, function activated when the mouse icon leaves the playing windows:
defaults write com.apple.QuickTimePlayerX MGUIVisibilityNeverAutoshow 1

Always display the control bar:
defaults write com.apple.QuickTimePlayerX MGUIVisibilityNeverAutohide 1

Never display the title bar
defaults write com.apple.QuickTimePlayerX MGCinematicWindowDebugForceNoTitlebar 1

Play automatically the title when opening it:
defaults write com.apple.QuickTimePlayerX MGPlayMovieOnOpen 1

Display sub-titles automatically:
defaults write com.apple.QuickTimePlayerX MGEnableCCAndSubtitlesOnOpen 1

Maintain full-screen display, even though QT Player is the active application:
defaults write com.apple.QuickTimePlayerX MGFullScreenExitOnAppSwitch 0

Allow simultaneous recordings:
defaults write com.apple.QuickTimePlayerX MGAllowMultipleSimultaneousRecordings 1

Display frameworks version numbers of Quick Time Player X components :
defaults write com.apple.QuickTimePlayerX MGShowFrameworkVersions 1

Combine video display and audio when editing (timeline, activated when pressing "Alt" key)):
defaults write com.apple.QuickTimePlayerX MGTimelineDisableAudioTrackForVideoMovies 0

Additional function allowing you to display audio-less/silent sequences when pressing "Alt" key:
defaults write com.apple.QuickTimePlayerX MGTimelineShowSlientRangesWithModifierKey 1

http://www.hardmac.com/news/2009/09/...n-quick-time-x
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=17380906

This guy's got you beat. And has Scripts to set the preferences for you.

Forum Links
Forum Rules