Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > DVD Shrink in parallels

DVD Shrink in parallels
mcgarry101
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 12, 2007, 09:24 AM

As a noob to the mac, I have been trying to find ports of my favourite windows progs. One such programme I havent been able to find a suitable alternative for is DVD Shrink. I have thus been using it in parallels to rip dvd's and then copying the resultant files across to my OS X desktop to burn them to dvd.

The problem I am having however, is that these dvds that i burn with OS X never seem to work, and are unrecognised by any DVD player. Has anyone else experienced this? I am not using any burning software for the process, simply just OS X itself, ie, using a burn folder etc. Would this be the problem? Cant see how, but like I said very new to this mac business!!

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2007, 09:28 AM

I cannot answer your question about why it doesn't work but why not use toast or MactheRipper? What does DVD shrink do that these two apps don't?

mcgarry101  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 12, 2007, 09:53 AM

Hey,

thanks for the reply! I tried using mac the ripper, however, can in the example of dual layer format disks does it not rip the whole disk into one large, potentially 8GB file? I was using DVD Shrink in windows as it would allow the decryption and compression of a dvd to a single layer format ready for burning.

David.

k squared
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 12, 2007, 03:07 PM

On the mac, you would use MacTheRipper to rip and then another application to compress the file onto a single layer DVD...such as Popcorn or DVD2OneX.

Check out the forums at RipDifferent.com.

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2007, 05:34 PM

You could use Fast DVD Copy 4 which will do everything but it's not free.
I think there is a discount code on Version Tracker. I've used DVD Shrink via Parallels before and haven't had any issues with the finished product. Mac the Ripper works great for lots of movies, but chokes on most of the newer flicks. You can donate to the creator to get a newer version that takes care of these issues. Once you get a clean RIP you can use Popcorn or DVD2OneX or ffmpegX to convert to a smaller file if needed.

svtcontour
Forum Regular
Jun 15, 2007, 12:06 AM

Although it is nice having a totally free application that simplifies the double step process down to one...

Originally Posted by k squared View Post
On the mac, you would use MacTheRipper to rip and then another application to compress the file onto a single layer DVD...such as Popcorn or DVD2OneX.

Check out the forums at RipDifferent.com.

sieb
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 15, 2007, 07:32 AM

All you need to do is use a program like Burn, which is free, and burn the disk as an ISO (the Copy option in Burn). Sounds to me like your current method is just burning the ISO to a disk as a file, not a disk image.
Sieb
Blackbook
(2Ghz, 2GB, 100Gig, week 21)

Forum Links
Forum Rules