Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > PS3, Wii or XB360

View Poll Results: Which ones would it have to be ?
Poll Options:
Sony PlayStation 3 203 votes (32.02%)
Nintendo Wii 329 votes (51.89%)
Microsoft XBox 360 213 votes (33.60%)
None 34 votes (5.36%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 634. You may not vote on this poll
PS3, Wii or XB360 (Page 111)
Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 31, 2008, 10:37 AM

Blah...I got rid of my 360s in order to get the Wii. I got rid of the Wiis because the Wii-mote started feeling like a gimmick when all I really wanted to do was play some sports games and a few shooters.

For me, I'm trying to go 360/PS3. There's no way I can justify buying both of them, so it is (once again) decision time.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 31, 2008, 11:15 AM

Even I can't keep track of your schizophrenic console habits.

To me it'd boil down to this:

Will I play online much?

What do my friends have (perhaps this includes MacNN)?

Do I want Blu-Ray/Is Blu-Ray important?

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jul 31, 2008, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post

Will I play online much?

Do I want Blu-Ray/Is Blu-Ray important?
Not sure if this has been posted yet, but here you go:

On a more serious note, it really boils down to what games you like to play. Another factor to consider is if you get a Wii, girls might actually play games with you, or at the very least, you won't have to hide the console from them.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 31, 2008, 11:30 AM

I didn't mention games just because almost everything is cross-platform now. I assume if you're a big Halo or Gran Turismo fan, then its a no-contest.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 31, 2008, 12:11 PM

How would the Wii+AppleTV compare to the XB360 or PS3 ?

Ignoring the fact that you will have two devices instead of one, each would be dedicated to two main functions; Games and media. Would the ease-of-use of using the AppleTV with your Mac be an advantage over the XB360/PS3 and your Mac ?

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 31, 2008, 12:42 PM

You can't put DVDs in the AppleTV, so for me, that's an outright fail.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 31, 2008, 12:44 PM

Does the Wii play DVDs? I honestly have no idea.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 31, 2008, 12:48 PM

I assume I would have heard of such a feature, if it did. That and I believe Nintendo gave some BS that they wanted to keep the focus on the games.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 31, 2008, 12:56 PM

So Hawkeye's suggestion would be a Wii for games, an Apple TV for media, and a DVD player.

My 360 is my DVD player and I love it, the less things to plug in the better.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jul 31, 2008, 01:18 PM

The Wii's only option for media functionality is using the web browser to watch YouTube videos and to use Orb to stream from your computer.

Both, however, use flash, and the Wii's flash implementation isn't perfect. It runs at a lower framerate than normal so movies look visibly choppy. The Wii is definitely not meant to do anything other than play games.

Honestly, it would be a much better idea to go Wii + 360 or PS3 instead of getting an Apple TV and also a DVD player. The Apple TV's functionality is too limited. On the other hand, I don't have a Mac so I don't know how well the 360 and PS3 work with Macs.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jul 31, 2008, 01:20 PM

The Wii's only option for media functionality is using the web browser to watch YouTube videos and to use Orb to stream from your computer.

Both, however, use flash, and the Wii's flash implementation isn't perfect. It runs at a lower framerate than normal so movies look visibly choppy. The Wii is definitely not meant to do anything other than play games.

Honestly, it would be a much better idea to go Wii + 360 or PS3 instead of getting an Apple TV and also a DVD player. The Apple TV's functionality is too limited. On the other hand, I don't have a Mac so I don't know how well the 360 and PS3 work with Macs.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 31, 2008, 01:37 PM

^ That time warp thing passing over us again?

I've just sold my Wii. I won't be waiting for the 60G Xbox. ELITE, here I come.

It'll sit next to my Mac and share the Acer monitor that I've got. First game will be Halo 3, then CoD4. Online games are necessary for the preservation of my sanity. Don't think that we'll get Netflix in France, not that I'm bothered about films anyway.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 31, 2008, 01:56 PM

Flash ? no thanks.

The ability to play DVDs is no different from saying i want to play audio CDs. the fact is, ive backed up all my DVDs on an external HDD that i use with my Mac (H.264), reason being.... region codes. i havent played any of my physical CDs since 2002, and none of my DVDs since 2006. The ability to play DVDs or CDs isnt a priority for my 'media center', Bluay on the other hand might be..... eventually. And all my DVDs and CDs are all boxed up.

Since i do use my Mac as a 'media-hub', and an external HDD with all my music, pictures and movies....an Apple TV would be ideal given the way it'll talk to my existing setup (and multiple Macs in the household). Unless you guys say that the XB360 or PS3 are even easier out of the box than the AppleTV, i'd probably choose the AppleTV for a media center. As far as new content, if and when Apple brings feature length movie downloads to Australia, depending on the price, i would buy them on iTMS. if the DVD is cheaper, i'd get that and back it up onto my HDD.... an inconvenience, but no more inconvenient than putting all my CDs onto my iPod.

The only tradeoff, to me, with the Wii+AppleTV setup would be, BluRay.

My main question to you guys is, how does the networking between the XB360/PS3 to a Mac compare with that of AppleTV, cause right now thats where my media lives. i'm talking, out-of-the-box setup, and interface...the experience. i dont want to muck around with hacks and such.

Also, the Wii's media capabilities are non-existent as far as im concerned, sans the ability to play youtube through the internet channel. but definately not a media center. The Wii is where i go for my gaming fix, thats it.
Cheers

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 31, 2008, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
^ That time warp thing passing over us again?

I've just sold my Wii. I won't be waiting for the 60G Xbox. ELITE, here I come.

It'll sit next to my Mac and share the Acer monitor that I've got. First game will be Halo 3, then CoD4. Online games are necessary for the preservation of my sanity. Don't think that we'll get Netflix in France, not that I'm bothered about films anyway.
No need to wait for the 60gb Pros - they're pretty easy to find right now (most Targets have them).

All glory to the hypnotoad.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jul 31, 2008, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
an Apple TV would be ideal given the way it'll talk to my existing setup (and multiple Macs in the household). Unless you guys say that the XB360 or PS3 are even easier out of the box than the AppleTV, i'd probably choose the AppleTV for a media center.
My friend uses and hacked Apple TV as it plays more files than the Xbox does. The problem with it though is that it doesn't handle 1080i all that well and if you play it over wireless you are screwed. The Xbox handles it no problem.

If Apple comes out with an Apple TV update that supports 1080p and can play more files without hacking I might get one also.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 31, 2008, 02:13 PM

I'm loving my Apple TV - I don't have it hacked since the 2.0 OS came out, but I've been ripping all my DVDs with Handbrake and they look fantastic. Even have some 720p videos on there (thanks piracy!). Never had an issue with playing over wireless, either.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 31, 2008, 02:13 PM

oh yeah i guess 1080p would be a limitation with the AppleTV as well.

but right now, for me, i dont have any content over 480p (Wii games and DVDs). so all my content would still work fine with the AppleTV. i guess it would be nice to futureproof the media center by getting one that supports 1080p. but at the same time, futureproofing at the expense of ease-of-use doesnt seem ideal at the moment.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 31, 2008, 02:17 PM

Actually, I believe that it more closely resembles dissociative identity disorder.

Will I play online much?
Will definitely play online, especially with Tiger and PES.

Honestly, the images from this thread really got me swaying a bit...

I didn't mention games just because almost everything is cross-platform now. I assume if you're a big Halo or Gran Turismo fan, then its a no-contest.
I despise Gran Turismo, but was crazy into Halo and Halo 2.

Originally Posted by Luca Rescigno View Post
Another factor to consider is if you get a Wii, girls might actually play games with you, or at the very least, you won't have to hide the console from them.
This is not a big selling point for me. There's no way I can hide the console, and I don't want a ton of my wife's friends coming over to giggle over Wii Fit.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 31, 2008, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
I despise Gran Turismo, but was crazy into Halo and Halo 2.
Grab a 360 and come join the festivities in Dakar's Halo 3 Thread!

<chanting> one of us! one of us! </chanting>

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 31, 2008, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
No need to wait for the 60gb Pros - they're pretty easy to find right now (most Targets have them).
Sadly, I'm on the wrong side of the Atlantic to Target stores Haven't seen them for sale in France yet.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 31, 2008, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
The ability to play DVDs is no different from saying i want to play audio CDs.
Actually yes, there is a difference. It's called iTunes.

There's another difference. It's called HD space.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 31, 2008, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Grab a 360 and come join the festivities in Dakar's Halo 3 Thread!

<chanting> one of us! one of us! </chanting>
Gooble gobble?

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 4, 2008, 08:39 AM

I got an Elite today. Along with Halo 3.

I'm working late tonight but I'll try and get on and show you pussies what real pwnage is

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 4, 2008, 06:39 PM

Made the decision and sticking to it (we'll see): PS3.

BluRay
MLB: The Show
Uncharted
Hot Shots Golf (I've always loved this series)
Singstar

The only exclusive I'm interested in for 360 is Halo 3.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 4, 2008, 06:41 PM

I got an Elite today. Along with Halo 3.

I'm working late tonight but I'll try and get on and show you pussies what real pwnage is
Sadly, I'll probably be in bed.

I'll just have to make you eat those words another day

NYK Ace
Senior User
Aug 4, 2008, 07:21 PM

BluRay
MLB: The Show
Uncharted
Hot Shots Golf (I've always loved this series)
Singstar

nice - i had a 360 then it RROD on me and i went with the PS3, ive been alot happier with the PS3 ever since i got, just feels like a better piece of hardware

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 5, 2008, 07:30 AM

I'll just have to make you eat those words another day
I didn't get the correct cable for my monitor, and hence no ethernet, so no online for a bit.

I've never played FPS on a console before and to be honest last night I hated it. REALLY hated it. I was tempted to put the beast back in the box and get a refund. But then I got myself a better chair, grabbed a cold beer and played it, calmly this time. Yeah I still sucked, but it wasn't as bad as my first go. Its the thumb being used to move the crosshairs that gets me - I'm used to a mouse. I'm overshooting a bit when I move it so I'll try to adjust the sensitivity tonight.

Hopefully I'll get used to it quickly, otherwise Dakar and sek929 are going to be increasing their scores in online Halo 3.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Aug 5, 2008, 08:09 AM

I didn't get the correct cable for my monitor, and hence no ethernet, so no online for a bit.

I've never played FPS on a console before and to be honest last night I hated it. REALLY hated it. I was tempted to put the beast back in the box and get a refund. But then I got myself a better chair, grabbed a cold beer and played it, calmly this time. Yeah I still sucked, but it wasn't as bad as my first go. Its the thumb being used to move the crosshairs that gets me - I'm used to a mouse. I'm overshooting a bit when I move it so I'll try to adjust the sensitivity tonight.

Hopefully I'll get used to it quickly, otherwise Dakar and sek929 are going to be increasing their scores in online Halo 3.
Yeah I still hate using the controller. That's one reason I'm more excited about FPS games on the PS3 - you can use a keyboard and mouse if the game supports it (like UT3 does).

I pwn n00bs all day long on TF2 on my PC, but when I try to play any FPS on my 360 I can never move right.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 5, 2008, 08:22 AM

I've already peaked as a player. Now I'm worthless, trying to learn how to play on the default stick set-up and Bumper Jumper. The thing I'm noticing more and more is my right thumb just doesn't have the finesse aiming the left on did.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 5, 2008, 08:33 AM

This is a wise decision, as I was looking forward to how you were going to deal with the incessant cursing during a meet-up. I was hoping to offend your wife (inadvertently).

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Aug 5, 2008, 09:10 AM

It gets old fast.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Aug 5, 2008, 09:21 AM

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/08/01/ca...d-to-two-dvds/

"According to id Software's resident genius John Carmack, the developer's upcoming title Rage could actually look worse on Xbox 360 "due to the compression needed to fit the game's assets on two DVDs,"

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 5, 2008, 09:23 AM

That's it, I'm going to PS3.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Aug 5, 2008, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
http://www.joystiq.com/2008/08/01/ca...d-to-two-dvds/

"According to id Software's resident genius John Carmack, the developer's upcoming title Rage could actually look worse on Xbox 360 "due to the compression needed to fit the game's assets on two DVDs,"
That's more of an issue with Microsoft's licensing than anything else.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 5, 2008, 10:09 AM

This is a wise decision, as I was looking forward to how you were going to deal with the incessant cursing during a meet-up. I was hoping to offend your wife (inadvertently).
Oh, trust me, I'm well aware of its presence in the Halo universe.

You know, I do have quite a few friends who curse profusely. I'm not a completely sheltered little Christian boy. Also, my wife could handle it...trust me.

And I know a lot of people say Halo 3 gets old...but Halo and Halo 2 never did for me.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 5, 2008, 12:17 PM

Halo never gets old for me, right before 3 came out I started playing Halo 2 again religiously.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 5, 2008, 12:19 PM

I'm used to a mouse. I'm overshooting a bit when I move it so I'll try to adjust the sensitivity tonight.
While I do like the mouse for aiming in FPS, it's the moving/jumping/changing weapons that kills me. My right hand is used to controlling aim and everything else while my left hand is only good at moving and throwing grenades.

I'm laughably bad at PC FPS, but on a console is where I really shine.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 5, 2008, 12:19 PM

Oh, trust me, I'm well aware of its presence in the Halo universe.

You know, I do have quite a few friends who curse profusely. I'm not a completely sheltered little Christian boy. Also, my wife could handle it...trust me.

And I know a lot of people say Halo 3 gets old...but Halo and Halo 2 never did for me.
OH, I know you can handle it. I'd just be amused if I could force a situation where you output voicechat to headset only.

Alas, I will never know the joy of succeeding at that challenge.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 5, 2008, 01:14 PM

OH, I know you can handle it. I'd just be amused if I could force a situation where you output voicechat to headset only.
Oh, I had to do that anyways to keep my wife from screaming, "WHAT ARE THOSE BRITISH GUYS EVEN SAYING?" every time I played Tiger Woods online. Do Americans even play the game?

jokell82
Professional Poster
Aug 5, 2008, 01:25 PM

While I do like the mouse for aiming in FPS, it's the moving/jumping/changing weapons that kills me. My right hand is used to controlling aim and everything else while my left hand is only good at moving and throwing grenades.

I'm laughably bad at PC FPS, but on a console is where I really shine.
I think it must have to do with what you learned on. Although I had many console systems as a kid, my PC was my main gaming device for many years.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 5, 2008, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
I think it must have to do with what you learned on. Although I had many console systems as a kid, my PC was my main gaming device for many years.
Absolutely. Which is why my reflexes are god-awful trying to adapt to the non-GoldenEye control scheme.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 5, 2008, 02:10 PM

So you're the inverted type? I should've figured...

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 5, 2008, 02:21 PM

So you're the inverted type? I should've figured...
The term is Legacy (makes me feel like an OS 9 (guy in an OS X world), unless of course, you're referring to the look up/down option.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 5, 2008, 02:42 PM

Racial tensions have been replaced by inverted/non-inverted control conflicts.

One team set-up that we used to use at Halo 1 LAN parties was the non-inverted players vs. the "Legacy" types. There were 8 of us, and it was split right down the middle...perfect.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 5, 2008, 02:45 PM

Don't you use quotes on the term Legacy, mother****er. I've teabagged men for less.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 5, 2008, 02:47 PM

I wholeheartedly apologize.

" " " " " " " " " "LEGACY" " " " " " " " " "

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 5, 2008, 02:51 PM

*dives across table*

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 5, 2008, 03:11 PM

Seriously though, all this Halo talk is bad for the decision that I have made and settled with...
Really bad.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 5, 2008, 03:12 PM

Seriously though, all this Halo talk is bad for the decision that I have made and settled with...
Really bad.
Less than 24 hours and you're already reconsidering things...

Is that a new record?

jokell82
Professional Poster
Aug 5, 2008, 04:04 PM

Really bad.
Meh, you've got a good system. Pick up Uncharted, Ratchet and Clank, and Warhawk and you'll forget all about Halo.

Forum Links
Forum Rules