Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Top Gear: Clarkson road tests the Ford Fiesta

Top Gear: Clarkson road tests the Ford Fiesta (Page 2)
macintologist
Professional Poster
Dec 12, 2008, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Ah, so it's brand loyalty blindness.
The most important thing to consider when buying a car is the brand.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Dec 12, 2008, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by MallyMal View Post
Also, it only takes me a couple hours to "acquire."
Originally Posted by EndlessMac View Post
For me it's worth the trade off because it always took me too long to "acquire" the episodes. I don't have the fastest internet speeds...
Torrents can be a killer when you're on basic DSL or *shudder* dial-up.

MallyMal
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 12, 2008, 01:22 PM

Oh, gotcha, I didn't see the part about the internet speed.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 12, 2008, 06:52 PM

torrent? pfft. ftp is where it's at.

NZB if your ISP is AOK. ugh.

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2008, 06:58 PM

Is it that much different than a Yaris? You can get one well-equipped for $15k and still get ~39mpg.
FYI I average 37MPG mixed in my Fit and it's a worlds apart from a Yaris. You either get the Fit or you don't.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Dec 12, 2008, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by the_glassman View Post
FYI I average 37MPG mixed in my Fit and it's a worlds apart from a Yaris. You either get the Fit or you don't.
That doesn't surprise me - I can't imagine how the Fit performed so poorly for the EPA tests.

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2008, 07:53 PM

That doesn't surprise me - I can't imagine how the Fit performed so poorly for the EPA tests.
One of the few things that bothers me about the car is the gearing. (US models at least)
It has very short gear ratios and in fifth gear at 70mph the engine is at 3500RPM's! That's right where VTEC kicks in, negatively affecting mileage. The automatics gear ratios are actually better suited for mpg. That might be one of the reasons the car did so poorly on the EPA test.

When I was purchasing the vehicle I expressed my concern about the relatively low mileage in comparison to other vehicles this size to the sales person. Of course they told me that most people were averaging well over the stated numbers. I don't trust anything somebody trying to sell a car says, but I have been pleasantly surprised with the gas mileage I've experienced thus far.

In Europe they offer a 1.2L version that averages 51.4mpg on the European cycle. I wish they offered that engine choice here.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 12, 2008, 09:33 PM

Ah, so it's brand loyalty blindness.
If I was the typical Honda snob I wouldn't even be considering a Ford, now would I?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Dec 12, 2008, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
If I was the typical Honda snob I wouldn't even be considering a Ford, now would I?
Well, you managed to dismiss an entire make of cars with a subjective, generalized statement.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 12, 2008, 11:15 PM

Okay. I assume you like fun to drive cars. See any new Toyotas that might be fun to drive and be affordable? I don't.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Dec 13, 2008, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Okay. I assume you like fun to drive cars. See any new Toyotas that might be fun to drive and be affordable? I don't.
The problem is that "fun" is entirely subjective. Some people think driving a car with less than 120 hp could possibly be fun, but I don't.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 13, 2008, 10:59 AM

Is it that much different than a Yaris? You can get one well-equipped for $15k and still get ~39mpg.
The Fit and the Yaris aren't quite in the same class of car - the Toyota Matrix is closer to the Fit in features and size; Honda doesn't have anything as tiny as the Yaris.

I was planning on buying a Fit when I decided to replace my Grand Prix. I test drove the Fit, the Matrix, and a Nissan Versa. Had I decided to go with that whole class of mini-wagon, I would have gone with the Versa - it had a more comfortable drive and cost several grand less than the Fit. I ended up going with a Hyundai Tuscon, because it felt safer and was more versatile for me. Plus I got a used one for about $5k less than what a Versa would have cost me.

Also, the original link is dead - BBC pulled the video. Here's a good one:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=VN8aNdHWNzE

I LOLed.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Dec 14, 2008, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
The Fit and the Yaris aren't quite in the same class of car - the Toyota Matrix is closer to the Fit in features and size; Honda doesn't have anything as tiny as the Yaris.
Not quite. The Fit is right between the Yaris and Matrix in most categories, and anyone in the market for a Fit will typically cross-shop the Yaris more often than the Matrix.

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2008, 07:27 PM

Ha...its made in Germany...I knew America can't make a car this solid.
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

scottiB
Professional Poster
Dec 15, 2008, 01:03 AM

And when it comes to America late next year, it won't be made in America, either, but Mexico.

villalobos
Mac Elite
Dec 15, 2008, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by stevesnj View Post
Ha...its made in Germany...I knew America can't make a car this solid.
my 99.5 GTI was made in Germany, and was the biggest POS I have ever driven. I drove some major league POS cars.

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2008, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by villalobos View Post
my 99.5 GTI was made in Germany, and was the biggest POS I have ever driven. I drove some major league POS cars.
me too...all of my POS cars were made in America. We are good at other things but we just can't make a good car...can't win them all I guess.
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

Forum Links
Forum Rules