Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > TV Serieseseseses

TV Serieseseseses (Page 10)
subego
Clinically Insane
May 4, 2022, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Shortcut View Post
Just watched Batman. It was….A bit dark and grim
I’m glad they’re trying something new.

OreoCookie
May 4, 2022, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Shortcut View Post
Like everything else the Wachowskis have made except for Matrix.
Small correction: everything but The Matrix and Sens8. Sens8 was epically great.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 4, 2022, 11:53 PM

I kinda want to subject myself to Cloud Atlas.

Demonhood
Administrator
May 5, 2022, 11:51 AM

Read the book instead.

Mark me down as another big fan of Sens8. Plus I enjoyed whatever hand they had in V for Vendetta (although of course the graphic novel is even better). I have not seen Speed Racer, which some people love.

Brien
Professional Poster
May 15, 2022, 12:51 AM

Westworld coming back in a month. Didn’t see that coming.

The Final Shortcut
Mac Enthusiast
May 15, 2022, 10:56 PM

I don’t know if there’s a bigger swing between the show high in season 1 (maybe Maeve discovering the lab set to the Motion Picture Soundtrack cover) and….well whatever happened s2/s3. Woof what a dog it turned into

subego
Clinically Insane
May 16, 2022, 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by Demonhood View Post
I have not seen Speed Racer, which some people love.
I kinda want to see this too, which is odd because I dislike the cartoon.

andi*pandi
Jul 17, 2022, 10:00 PM

despite not wanting to, I did enjoy The Batman.

A good short series on Hulu: The Bear. Our resident Chicagoans may or may not appreciate it but it was well done and surprisingly compelling. I kept asking myself why I was interested in a show about running a restaurant but the characters were great.
( Last edited by andi*pandi; Jul 18, 2022 at 10:09 AM. )

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 17, 2022, 10:01 PM

The Old Man is excellent.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 18, 2022, 11:03 PM

^^^

Agreed!

OAW

MacNNFamous
Senior User
Jul 19, 2022, 11:56 AM

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 23, 2022, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
The Old Man is excellent.
Appreciated the cliffhanger for the season finale wasn’t particularly abusive to the audience.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 23, 2022, 09:33 PM

Started the expanse. Hooked immediately, but what nailed it home was the gravity on Ceres. Bravo for both getting it right, and not explaining it.

andi*pandi
Jul 23, 2022, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by MacNNFamous View Post
so, then watching the Boys won't be an exercise in tedium?

Thorzdad
Jul 23, 2022, 11:40 PM

No. But it is an exercise in senseless bloody violence.

reader50
Administrator
Jul 24, 2022, 12:41 AM

Started the expanse. Hooked immediately, but what nailed it home was the gravity on Ceres. Bravo for both getting it right, and not explaining it.
Did your dad go for it too?

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 24, 2022, 01:06 AM

He did! He’s still skeptical it’s the full hard, but he admits it’s way better than usual.

So far, I haven’t noticed anything wrong… except for the part where there’s anyone on Ceres watching major news events on a big “outdoor” screen instead of their phone.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 24, 2022, 01:22 AM

Oh… no way to top off the air in a spacesuit? I’m having trouble justifying that one.

reader50
Administrator
Jul 24, 2022, 02:10 AM

I'm sure it's easy with the expensive suits. Corporations are known to save money here and there.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 24, 2022, 02:38 AM

That’s a good point, but wouldn’t this be considered basic functionality?

reader50
Administrator
Jul 24, 2022, 03:03 AM

I assume you mean charging up air from one suit to another. Charging the suit up from the ship may not work if the ship is damaged. Or short of air itself.

Basic functionality would include a spare suit (or three) on any lifeboat/shuttle. They most definitely are saving some money.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 24, 2022, 01:43 PM

No, I mean charging up from the ship, or in this case, shuttle, which still had both power and air.

After over 100 years of people living in space, I feel that functionality gets standardized, because needing more than a few hours of air would be problem that comes up all the time.
( Last edited by subego; Jul 24, 2022 at 02:01 PM. )

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 24, 2022, 02:28 PM

To give an idea of how strict my dad can be with his sci-fi, he was bitching about Belter Creole not being a creole, or if it is, there’s no English words, which one would presume there would be.

reader50
Administrator
Jul 24, 2022, 02:34 PM

There are English words, though they're pronounced weirdly. If you listen closely, you can understand at least half of it.

On the suits, perhaps the air charging station was in the airlock. Which took major damage.

reader50
Administrator
Jul 24, 2022, 02:44 PM

Wel-Walla (may be spelled wrong)
Wel = Gravity Well
Walla = borrowed from another language?
The phrase means "gravity lover". ie - Earther or Martian. Also referred to as "Inners" (inner worlds of solar system), which is less insulting.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 24, 2022, 02:53 PM

I argued we needed to hear more of it to know for sure. My dad likes having captions on, which kinda fucks with my listening ability (the creole generally has no captions). Along those lines, he bitched about the bird flying on Ceres under the assumption they were implying Ceres had noticeably lighter gravity, but I said I bet it was a nod to artificial gravity.

As for places to top off a suit, redundant systems are like super-important in space.

reader50
Administrator
Jul 24, 2022, 05:42 PM

I agree on the suit filling. I didn't catch it at the time, but there should have been another fill option. Even for a shuttle as small as the Knight.

Ceres does have notably lighter "gravity". Negligible real gravity. The asteroid is spun to generate centrifical gravity. Then tunneled inside for the city. That's why the airlock is in the floor - outside is "down". You also see Miller pour a drink against the coriolis effect at one point. I think the effect was exaggerated for the shot, but otherwise looks right.

In the Expanse, typical gravity is set at 1/3G to accommodate most everyone. So Ceres has 1/3 G at the equator. That's where the high-class people live. Lower further in, for the working class, like Miller. Lower still in the slums further in, where the protests & political agitation takes place. So at Miller's apartment, the bird is flying in ~ 1/4 G.

note: military ships accelerate at 1 G. To promote muscle, and so Martian soldiers will be acclimated to Earth gravity, should they ever have to fight there.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 24, 2022, 06:55 PM

Then my dad actually has a legit beef. They’re not simulating 0.33G (or less). He always complains about this.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 24, 2022, 08:22 PM

I’m amused John Carter kinda sorta had more Martian gravity in it than The Martian.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 24, 2022, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
I assume you mean charging up air from one suit to another.
You know, these would probably work off the same system. You’d transfer air from one canister to another.

Hey, wait a minute… why did the air supply even have an exposed hose? Wouldn’t that all be inside the suit?

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 24, 2022, 08:51 PM

To rephrase my original argument, what I’m having trouble buying is after 100 years in space, running out of air on a shuttle that has air is still a “welp… I guess I’ll just die” scenario.

Edit: these are the kind kinks that get worked out, and the solutions become pretty permanent. It’s one thing to get killed in space, it’s another to get killed the same way someone else did.

andi*pandi
Jul 24, 2022, 08:54 PM

I should get back into the expanse. The kid and I are watching umbrella academy though.

reader50
Administrator
Jul 25, 2022, 12:22 AM

You know, these would probably work off the same system. You’d transfer air from one canister to another.
That would involve a high-PSI connection hose. Every other person (at least) would need to carry the extra hose. And it would at best equalize the tank pressures, with significant losses and unexpected thrust when you disconnect the hose at 1200 PSI (or whatever).

Or you could connect at normal pressure, with a normal hose. Each suit would need a high-PSI pressure pump to recharge its own tank. With motor to drive it. 1-2 extra components, and the suit batteries would need to be bigger to handle the motor. Both solutions involve extra complication. The batteries are probably better spent recycling the suit air than recharging the backup tank.

It looks to me like the preferred solution (outside of very expensive suits) is buddy-breathing. Like shown in the episode. Which might be why the air hoses are accessible.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 25, 2022, 07:43 AM

Ummm… there’d be like valves and shit. Close the valves then bleed the hose. Minimal air loss, and while there would be thrust from the bleed, it’s not unexpected because it’s intentionally initiated.

Edit: design the bleed valve to vent in equal and opposite directions. No thrust.

Edit2: Sandra Bullock launching herself skull-first into a bulkhead with a fire extinguisher is my favorite unexpected thrust moment.
( Last edited by subego; Jul 25, 2022 at 04:45 PM. )

MacNNFamous
Senior User
Jul 25, 2022, 10:43 AM

I read all the expanse books. Holden is far better in the books, found him annoying in the show. Amazing series. One of the best. Been on a sci fi kick to fill that void since I finished expanse, and wound up reading Dune, bunch of other sci fi series, and now I'm on Hyperion.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 25, 2022, 03:45 PM

I liked Holden in the first episode, but he was annoying in the next two.

Also, she’s not in it much, but from what little I’ve seen the Star Helix chief on Ceres is a crummy actress.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 25, 2022, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
It looks to me like the preferred solution
Maybe I misinterpreted the scene, but there was no solution. The doctor said he couldn’t do anything because the guy was in a spacesuit. Naomi yelled at him to do his job, and then the doc needed to MacGyver a solution.

This heavily implies it was a scenario they were unprepared for, which I don’t buy. Not accidentally running out of air when there’s air available is one of those things that takes less than 100 years to figure out.

reader50
Administrator
Jul 25, 2022, 05:51 PM

The medic Shed is somewhat excitable and subject to panic.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 25, 2022, 06:51 PM

Panicked or not, my observation stands it wasn’t a problem they had a solution for. Shed needed to invent one on-the-spot. Not being able to refill an air supply while in use puts a hard limit on being in a vacuum. That’s the kind of restriction a spacefaring society figures out how to lift very early on.
( Last edited by subego; Jul 25, 2022 at 07:42 PM. )

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 26, 2022, 03:10 PM

Now that I’ve had some time to think about it, what I would have done is have some vital component for tying in to life-support break or be broken. Justify it with someone not following space OSHA inspection regimens.

From the standpoint of narrative ease, it should be on the pilot’s suit, but he seems like someone who would be responsible enough to check his own suit.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 26, 2022, 05:23 PM

I want to add, we can look to scuba diving as an example where running out of air is a thing.

If the rules are followed, a diver always has at least one solution to this problem. If they want to spend more, it goes up to three.

Of course, it’s much easier to solve this problem underwater than it is in space, but I posit a spacefaring society would develop a similar protocol.

reader50
Administrator
Jul 26, 2022, 06:22 PM

Are you still stuck on Ep #2? I think you're overthinking it, especially with how badly the Knight got busted up.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 26, 2022, 06:39 PM

We finished 3. Probably two or three more tonight.

I’m peeved by poorly designed systems.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 27, 2022, 01:44 AM

Saw two more episodes. No science to complain about. Heard more English in the Belter Creole. My dad said he’d rather bitch about the Creole than recharging the air in a suit.

The muscle guy is growing on me. I wasn’t as irritated by Holden, but he spent a lot of time looking dumbfounded, which he’s good at. Still hate the Star Helix Chief’s acting.

Glad the cop isn’t dead. Poor Shed!
( Last edited by subego; Jul 27, 2022 at 02:11 AM. )

reader50
Administrator
Jul 27, 2022, 02:26 AM

It's going to be some time before you figure out Amos (muscle guy). His behavior is internally consistent, but you won't have enough clues for awhile.

Side note: the first 3 seasons were handled by Sify. Their internal nickname for the show was The Expense due to the insane production cost.

andi*pandi
Jul 27, 2022, 09:36 AM

If you guys aren't careful we'll have to make an Expanse-only thread.

Outlaws on Amazon was better than expected, decent characters.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 27, 2022, 12:37 PM

My dad and I watched a few episodes of Guilty Minds.

A little too much culture shock. No idea how much of it is supposed to be serious.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 27, 2022, 12:39 PM

No science to complain about.
Oh, wait… space is very noisy.

reader50
Administrator
Jul 27, 2022, 12:54 PM

Watch many SpaceX launches? A few have included a microphone at the top of the 1st stage. When the 2nd stage ignites (outside of the atmosphere) you can indeed hear it briefly. The rocket itself puts out enough gas for sound to work nearby. Range is quite short though. I doubt you could hear it from the side - you probably have to be in the exhaust cone.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 27, 2022, 01:12 PM

I’d totally watch more SpaceX launches if it had to dodge space bullets.

Forum Links
Forum Rules