Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > Upgrade a PowerMac 5500 with an iBook logic board

Upgrade a PowerMac 5500 with an iBook logic board
swichd
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 13, 2004, 07:25 PM

I know I need to use an IDE CD drive, but does anyone know how the back panel works (I need to know what the pin out is)?
( Last edited by swichd; Oct 31, 2004 at 02:35 PM. )
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]"Microsoft Products are Generally Bug Free"
-- Bill Gates[/FONT]

Cipher13
Oct 31, 2004, 04:09 AM

Originally posted by swichd:
I know I need to use an IDE CD drive, but does anyone know how the back panel works (I need to know what the pin out is)?
Can you explain more specifically? I have both 5500's and iBooks here in pieces, so I can show you whatever you need...

swichd  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 31, 2004, 02:35 PM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
Can you explain more specifically? I have both 5500's and iBooks here in pieces, so I can show you whatever you need...
Thanks for the reply. If yo look at the logic board, you can see the large connector. I was looking for a list of where each pin goes to. I ment to put iMac, not iBook in the title . Sorry
-- Bill Gates[/FONT]

Cipher13
Oct 31, 2004, 11:21 PM

Thanks for the reply. If yo look at the logic board, you can see the large connector. I was looking for a list of where each pin goes to. I ment to put iMac, not iBook in the title . Sorry
Ah okay, I can't help you there, and I fear this will be largely in vein. You should try to remove that adapter from the equation, if at all possible; it will complicate things massively.

Have you got the Apple documentation on the 5500? If not, I can let you know where to get that, but as I said, unless you have advanced skills in electronics, I wouldn't bother.

I quite like your inadvertent iBook idea though. I have a few 5500's here currently out of service, and a headless iBook. It'd be very easy to slot the iBook into the 5500 mobo housing, crank the 5500 top-fan up a bit to cool the area, and hook a new short-neck CRT up to the iBook via the VGA dongle. Interesting...

swichd  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 1, 2004, 08:56 PM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
Ah okay, I can't help you there, and I fear this will be largely in vein. You should try to remove that adapter from the equation, if at all possible; it will complicate things massively.

Have you got the Apple documentation on the 5500? If not, I can let you know where to get that, but as I said, unless you have advanced skills in electronics, I wouldn't bother.

I quite like your inadvertent iBook idea though. I have a few 5500's here currently out of service, and a headless iBook. It'd be very easy to slot the iBook into the 5500 mobo housing, crank the 5500 top-fan up a bit to cool the area, and hook a new short-neck CRT up to the iBook via the VGA dongle. Interesting...
That would be cool. Would you replace the SCSI CD-ROM with an IDE DVD RW drive in place and wire it into the iBook's IDE bus? If you could, I'd like the documents about the 5500. Is the display a standard VGA monitor or is some wierd type?
-- Bill Gates[/FONT]

Cipher13
Nov 20, 2004, 04:47 AM

That would be cool. Would you replace the SCSI CD-ROM with an IDE DVD RW drive in place and wire it into the iBook's IDE bus? If you could, I'd like the documents about the 5500. Is the display a standard VGA monitor or is some wierd type?
Gimme an e-mail and I'll send you the documentation - exsanguine at gmail.

I'd definitely go the IDE route and either wire it to the iBooks IDE bus (not too hard if you don't mind butchering the iBook (not irreversibly either) a little; that, or if you've got money to burn, get a FireWire bridge.

The display in the 5500's is a standard VGA, but I'm not sure what the outputs are like; it connects to the onboard vid chip on the 5500 via that large adapter. I can check out what the connection comes down to further down the line though, without a problem. I'll look into it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules