Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Install Apps from multiple computers?

Install Apps from multiple computers?
Laurence
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 16, 2008, 11:21 AM

Although being a Mac user since 1984, I am new to the whole iPod/iPhone thing. I just got the iPhone 3G and set it up with my home computer (MacPro 8 core 2.8GHz). Everything seems to work great. The problem is that when I brought it to work and hooked it up to my work computer (MacPro quad 2.66GHz) It tells me that I can't add an application from iTunes without erasing all the apps I already installed at home. I am logged into the iTunes store with the same account at both places so the Fairplay DRM should be identical. I tried setting it to not sync and just manually drag the App to the phone but it won't work... is there any way to do what I want? What if I had multiple computers at home? Would I always have to sync the iPhone from the same computer every time? Since I'm authenticated using the same credentials I don't see how this could be a "legal" requirement especially considering that one purchase can be synced to an unlimited number of iPods/iPhones and I only have one mobile device!

I did do a search and found a bunch of stuff about using disk mode, but that only applies to iPod, not iPhone!
--Laurence

mutelight
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 16, 2008, 11:35 AM

The phone is tied to the computer but why not purchase/install the applications natively on the phone using the App Store?

Dual 2.66Ghz Xeon Woodrcrests // 8800GT 512MB // 30" Apple Cinema Display // 8GB RAM // Samsung Galaxy Nexus LTE // 64GB iPad LTE Verizon // Home Theater

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jul 16, 2008, 09:18 PM

Use another media (like a flash drive) to copy the apps to both your work machine at home machine.

Of course you can still only sync with one machine, but you can choose which machine to sync with and have all your apps.

Forum Links
Forum Rules