Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPhone 5s Dock - Do Phones with Cases Fit?

iPhone 5s Dock - Do Phones with Cases Fit?
ghporter
Administrator
Jul 27, 2014, 07:30 PM

I had a nice little Memorex clock/radio/dock gadget that I used to dock my iPhone 4s for quite some time. When I moved up to a 5s, I got a 30-pin to Lightning adapter, and that worked for a while, but apparently the angle the phone leans at has damaged or weakened the adapter, so it doesn't work in the dock anymore.

So now I'm looking for a replacement dock, and my first thought was the "official Apple iPhone 5s dock." From the looks of it, it won't fit with any sort of case on the phone, but I'd like confirmation of that before I start shopping seriously for a different brand.

If anyone knows of a simple and inexpensive dock that WILL fit a 5s with a slip case, I'd like to hear about it.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 27, 2014, 09:11 PM

I have not seen any dock that works with a case.

It's really a shame. But also understandable: every case has different dimensions.

-t

ghporter  (op)
Administrator
Jul 29, 2014, 06:53 AM

Bummer.

My Memorex clock thingie's Dock Connector has room around it for just about anything; I think it came with inserts like the old Universal Docks. Maybe those sorts will pop up in the future as Lightning devices become more common, but if they do, they may only accommodate certain cases. My slip case isn't particularly thick, but it's thick enough that it looks like it would have interfered with an iPhone 4 dock insert, so I guess I'm out of luck for the moment.

I would have thought that Apple would have at least made allowances for their own Bumper case....

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 29, 2014, 07:23 AM

IIRC, they had an adapter for the old Universal Dock that allowed for the 4/4S with a Bumper. But it's been a while...

Apple doesn't make a bumper for the 5/5s.

There are occasional third-party docks that do allow for cases.

Forum Links
Forum Rules