Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Shipping?

Shipping?
Mr Heliums
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 13, 2004, 05:08 PM

MacMinute

If so it's a little earlier than I would have thought, even for the first trickle.

Armando
Sep 14, 2004, 05:07 AM

Mine has shipped via Fedex!!!

Ship date
Sep 13, 2004

Estimated delivery
Sep 15, 2004

Order placed 8/31/04 at 4:40am - day of.

17 inch G5 iMac 1.8Ghz/ SuperDrive config

Sweet!

Mr Heliums  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 14, 2004, 07:52 AM

Looks like this forum will be full of the traditional 'opening' pics on Wednesday then...

That'll be good - there haven't been enough pics of 'real-life' iMacs for me to be able to decide whether I like them or not.

Skypat
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 14, 2004, 07:57 AM

Yes Armando you've got to post pictures of you iMac as soon as it arrives
S k y p a t

Finrock
Forum Regular
Sep 14, 2004, 08:11 AM

Armando, what did Apple originally quote as your ship date? I'm wondering if I should start getting my hopes up.
Two atoms were talking one day. One atom said to the other "you know, I think I've lost some electrons." The other atom said "are you sure?" The atom said "yeah, I'm positive." www.thisoldpodcast.com

Armando
Sep 14, 2004, 12:20 PM

Originally posted by Finrock:
Armando, what did Apple originally quote as your ship date? I'm wondering if I should start getting my hopes up.
It originally quoted me on or after Sept. 29th. So this is a nice surprise!

Mr Heliums  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 14, 2004, 12:29 PM

Well that's good news, although always one to look on the darker side, perhaps it means that there weren't as many pre-orders as they were anticipating.

I notice Apple hasn't given any indication of the number of pre-orders, and I'm fairly sure they did that with both previous iMac introductions.

kcmac
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2004, 12:31 AM

Mine has been shipped as well. It is now in Anchorage.

As usual, it appears Apple is sending this via Fed Ex even though my order was for the free shipping. Maybe it will arrive on Thursday.

Placed order day of keynote. September 29 or before estimated.

Better order my RAM in the morning.

Armando
Sep 15, 2004, 02:00 AM

Originally posted by kcmac:
Mine has been shipped as well. It is now in Anchorage.

As usual, it appears Apple is sending this via Fed Ex even though my order was for the free shipping. Maybe it will arrive on Thursday.

Placed order day of keynote. September 29 or before estimated.

Better order my RAM in the morning.
Mine was shipped from Sacramento on 9/13 and is en route to Los Angeles. I also picked the free shipping option.

Someone also received one, check out:
http://www.kodawarisan.com/imacg5/imacg501.html

AliP
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 15, 2004, 02:54 AM

Mines still saying that it will ship on or before 30/09/04, but i am in the UK so i can't see it shipping before then. As usual it looks like Apple has done a nice job on the packaging.
KRO
Ali P

Finrock
Forum Regular
Sep 15, 2004, 08:59 AM

So there have been quite a few iMacs shipping, just not mine. I ordered a 20"/256/250 GB/BT Keyboard/Mouse. Anyone else have a similar BTO configuration that has shipped?
Two atoms were talking one day. One atom said to the other "you know, I think I've lost some electrons." The other atom said "are you sure?" The atom said "yeah, I'm positive." www.thisoldpodcast.com

AliP
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 15, 2004, 09:09 AM

So there have been quite a few iMacs shipping, just not mine. I ordered a 20"/256/250 GB/BT Keyboard/Mouse. Anyone else have a similar BTO configuration that has shipped?
Extra ram and bluetooth keyboard, but not shipped yet, wonder how long before they start trickling across the pond?
KRO
Ali P

Finrock
Forum Regular
Sep 15, 2004, 09:24 AM

I wonder if Bluetooth is the limiting factor right now. From reading a few other threads on some other boards that is the conclusion I've come to. I just need to learn to be patient.

Nah... I want my iMac now!

AliP
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 15, 2004, 09:56 AM

I wonder if Bluetooth is the limiting factor right now. From reading a few other threads on some other boards that is the conclusion I've come to. I just need to learn to be patient.

Nah... I want my iMac now!
"patience is a virtue we never seem to learn" -New Model Army

For me this is worse than xmas as a kid, because now i know exactly what i am getting and i don't have to worry about being good in the run up

KRO
Ali P

H. Georgan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 15, 2004, 10:04 AM

I ordered a 20 inch iMac with BT keyboard and mouse on the day of the keynote and it hasn't shipped either. Still says on or before Sept 29.

AliP
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 15, 2004, 10:08 AM

Just rung the Apple store Uk and the nice man just told me what i already knew i.e it will ship on or before the 30th of Sep t As usual Europe gets treated as second class customers. I dont care if the U.S is the main market my money is as good as theres.
KRO
Ali P

Mr Heliums  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 15, 2004, 11:28 AM

Originally posted by AliP:
Just rung the Apple store Uk and the nice man just told me what i already knew i.e it will ship on or before the 30th of Sep t As usual Europe gets treated as second class customers. I dont care if the U.S is the main market my money is as good as theres.
KRO
Ali P
Look on the bright side - you'll be able to read the reviews of the early arrivals, and if the new iMac is a complete disaster, you'll be able to cancel before it ships!

alternate_bit
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 15, 2004, 11:35 AM

so for you who has the 'on or before the 30th' stated, is that only for people who ordered the day of? if i place an order now, it says 3-4 weeks...

i wonder when the apple stores are getting 'em.

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 15, 2004, 11:37 AM

Apparently some people start to receive the first new iMacs. There is a discussion on this topic in Mac Rumors with pictures.

Mr Heliums  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 15, 2004, 11:47 AM

Originally posted by Pierre B.:
Apparently some people start to receive the first new iMacs. There is a discussion on this topic in Mac Rumors with pictures.
Some nice pictures in those threads. It does look better in real life than in Apple's product shots.

SouthPaW1227
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 15, 2004, 12:01 PM

^^^ I think it looks worse

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 15, 2004, 12:05 PM

Well, I think the how it really looks is rather subjective. Some people hate the glossy exterior layer; for others it is a plus for the aesthetics. You have actually to see one in person and then judge.

Mr Heliums  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 15, 2004, 03:05 PM

Originally posted by Pierre B.:
Well, I think the how it really looks is rather subjective. Some people hate the glossy exterior layer; for others it is a plus for the aesthetics. You have actually to see one in person and then judge.
The one problem with this machine - and I've said this elsewhere - is that it's too obviously imperfect. Those who think its ugly won't buy it, but even those who love the design can see ways of improving it. The screen could, in theory, be thinner, and that huge bezel will obviously have to disappear in future revisions.

Of course, I could change my mind when it arrives!

alternate_bit
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 15, 2004, 03:38 PM

there has to be flaws, otherwise there's nothing to upgrade =).
i don't like the giant iMac text in the back.

kcmac
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2004, 03:45 PM

After receiving mine it is just like most all Apple products. Better in person. This thing is awesome. Transferring files at this time.

Parky
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2004, 03:48 PM

Photos please !!!!
Computers - Au MacBook 2.4Ghz, iMac 24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo
iPods - 5GB original iPod, 4GB nano - Red, 1GB 2G shuffle - Silver, 4GB 3G Shuffle - Black, 16GB touch, 16GB nano Red, 16GB iPhone 3G.
OSX User Since Public Beta, current OS 10.6.1, iTS UK purchases - 5377 songs.... and growing!
My website - www.idparkinson.co.uk

Mr Heliums  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 15, 2004, 03:50 PM

Yes - you can't post that and not supply us with photos for vicarious pleasure.

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 15, 2004, 03:52 PM

Originally posted by kcmac:
After receiving mine it is just like most all Apple products. Better in person. This thing is awesome. Transferring files at this time.
Could you run some benchmarks and make observations regarding the noise of the machine? For example, how much noisy is the new iMac when it runs at full speed (e.g. gaming), in comparison to, say, a Powerbook? Or when you watch a DVD? What about sound? And what model did you buy? Congratulations by the way .

kcmac
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2004, 04:19 PM

Mine was delivered to my home at 10:15 am. I had to immediately run downtown for a meeting so I didn't even get to plug it in. Opened the box to take a peak. Your first impression is, "Wow, is that all there is?"

You literally have the manual, the cords and the mouse on the top styrofoam layer. Remove that and the the iMac sits centered below with the foot attached. Looks like a big laptop.

After I got back, I set it up in our kitchen area and now it fits on our desk directly in front of our keyboard. Our previous iMac had to sit on the counter adjacent to the desk because it is too deep. We had to look at the iMac at an angle.

The footprint of this thing is just incredible. I have the front face sitting about 9 inches from the wall. (I have the 20 inch screen.) (Could still go a little closer but don't want to have screen hit wall just yet.)

The screen is bright and gorgeous. The area below the screen is large but I think with the 20 inch screen it is proportioned very nice. I don't mind the space below after seeing it in person although I would think this is one area Apple will try to refine as the next revs progress.

The screen tilts up and down in a very smooth motion. Very easy to operate. It is also very easy to spin or adjust it from side to side. Slides on my desktop very easily.

The machine is totally quite. You can only hear a slight hum. Haven't done anything yet so don't know what happens when the fans come on.

Set up is simple. Lift out of box. Foot already attached. Plug in keyboard and mouse. Turn on. (I have Airport Express.)

Found my internet connection immediately after filling out a few forms for your user name, registration etc.

Software updater kicked in and I did the updates which have just now finished. Will do the firewire target setup assistant a little later to transfer our old iMac to the new.

The keyboard is fantastic. Has a great feel to it. It has white keys and clear plastic edges.

From first impression, this would take quite a hit before it would tip. Can't imagine this being a problem. Very well balanced.

Fit and finish typical Apple. Nice. Especially in person.

Fan did just now come on. Still quiet.

Just put a CD into it to test the sound in iTunes. The start up chime was very loud. The speakers put out quite a bit of sound. Much louder and better than my G3 iMac. You get a little different sound by tilting the screen since it throws it downward. I think most will be very pleased with the quality. I won't be getting any 3rd party speakers any time soon. The visualizer at full screen is fantastic!

I am using the 256 base ram and have 1 gig on order. Will be interesting in the next few days to see how it works with the base amount.

The thickness/thinness of the unit is very impressive. I just can't get over the footprint....

People are posting benchmarks on MacRumors.

OS X 10.3.5.

Version 7P35.

More later.

Armando
Sep 15, 2004, 04:32 PM

Ran XBench on it: download the benchmark results PDF
Overall: 156.70

Selling mine on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=5123994156

If I don't sell it, I'll probably keep it. It's nice!!! Pics coming soon.

toti
Sep 15, 2004, 05:33 PM

Awesome !

Congrats on your iMac !

Keep the news flowing ! I have to wait at least two weeks more before mine is delivered... I'll be a total nerve wreck before then

Pictures of the 20" pleeeeeease

Timan
Forum Regular
Sep 15, 2004, 05:35 PM

Yea someone please post pics of the 20" display, and if there is any ghosting on those suckers .
- Tim

Mr Heliums  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 15, 2004, 05:35 PM

Originally posted by Armando:

If I don't sell it, I'll probably keep it
Really? You're not going to give it away?

Pics coming soon
They'd better...

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 15, 2004, 05:48 PM

Originally posted by Timan:
Yea someone please post pics of the 20" display...
And near some object of known dimensions if possible, just to get a better feeling of the proportions.

mattyd
Senior User
Sep 15, 2004, 08:23 PM

same situation here. ordered the day of the keynote -- 20" with bluetooth and 512 RAM. still says on or before 9/29.

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2004, 10:04 PM

Is that good?

rickray1
Sep 16, 2004, 12:13 AM

On the Fed Ex site I get this:

Sep 14, 2004_ 2:37 PM Picked up SHANGHAI CN_

Package received after FedEx cutoff_

2:37 PM Left origin SHANGHAI CN_

1:51 PM Package data transmitted to FedEx;
package not in FedEx possession

No new updates in 2 days. Where is it?
Drink PepsiOne ! It tastes GREAT!

Parky
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2004, 02:40 AM

MMMMMM seems like Apple are not shipping as promised!

They always claim to ship in things sequentially based on when they were ordered.

As I ordered mine 2 hours after the Keynote I expected it to be shipped along with these. but no joy yet.

Seems they don't mean 'Worldwide' after all, why am I surprised!

Ian
iPods - 5GB original iPod, 4GB nano - Red, 1GB 2G shuffle - Silver, 4GB 3G Shuffle - Black, 16GB touch, 16GB nano Red, 16GB iPhone 3G.
OSX User Since Public Beta, current OS 10.6.1, iTS UK purchases - 5377 songs.... and growing!

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 16, 2004, 02:42 AM

Interesting. I would have expected more. My 1GHz G4 iMac gets 100.

Why are you selling it already?

And who is the freaking idiot who is willing to pay you $1799 for a $1499 computer?

Now I understand why you ebay'ed it. Jesus.

Parky
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2004, 02:43 AM

Mine has shipped via Fedex!!!

Ship date
Sep 13, 2004

Estimated delivery
Sep 15, 2004

Order placed 8/31/04 at 4:40am - day of.

17 inch G5 iMac 1.8Ghz/ SuperDrive config

Sweet!
In fact mine was ordered nearly an hour before this one, which has been delivered !!

Ian

Armando
Sep 16, 2004, 02:53 AM

Originally posted by Parky:
In fact mine was ordered nearly an hour before this one, which has been delivered !!

Ian
But did you order the "Stock" iMac? If you did any BTO, it usually causes delays.

Parky
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2004, 02:59 AM

I ordered 20", with 1 GB, Airport and Bluetooth which is not a stock machine.

But ! The people who have the machines now had the same on or before build dates, no extra time was built in to them for it being BTO.

As to BTO taking longer, it depends how they run the production line, they could be building all of them on a BTO basis at the moment until they know which version is the most frequently requested. Once they know that they would set that up as the 'base' model and BTO any that are different.

Ian

Timan
Forum Regular
Sep 16, 2004, 03:04 AM

Hmm wonder if anyone got the 20" one yet, have yet to see any pics
- Tim

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Sep 16, 2004, 03:07 AM

Boo hoo ! You'll get it - just be patient.

Parky
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2004, 03:11 AM

I am being patient.

I am simply pointing out that build / shipping is not being done in an order placement basis.

Ian

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 16, 2004, 03:13 AM

Originally posted by Parky:
I am simply pointing out that build / shipping is not being done in an order placement basis.
This is old news. It's always been this way. Stay cool.

tonyibook
Sep 16, 2004, 09:59 AM

I was amazed to find that my iMac G5 just shipped. I ordered the 17" 1.8GHz model (no BTO options) on the 5th and it shipped today, only 11 days later. Hopefully I should see it next week.

AliP
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 16, 2004, 10:30 AM

Originally posted by tonyibook:
I was amazed to find that my iMac G5 just shipped. I ordered the 17" 1.8GHz model (no BTO options) on the 5th and it shipped today, only 11 days later. Hopefully I should see it next week.

Blimey that is quick, hopefully my 20" is following quickly behind
KRO
Ali P

Mr Heliums  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 16, 2004, 11:58 AM

Originally posted by tonyibook:
I presume you were initially told 3-4 weeks?

tonyibook
Sep 16, 2004, 12:21 PM

When I checked my order history this morning it still said "on or before 04/10/2004". Then this afternoon I got an email saying that it had shipped.

Forum Links
Forum Rules