Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Dell uses Macs

Dell uses Macs
Deal
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 11, 2004, 10:33 PM

Here's an oldie but a goodie.

This article came out in October. It talks about a 3rd party program for people that want to use the Sierra wireless card on Mac. At the end it talks about companies who have purchased the software. Dell is one of the users.

Take that Micheal Dell. I'll bet Apple doesn't have any of your computers

http://www.bizjournals.com/jacksonvi...20/daily5.html

JLFanboy
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 11, 2004, 10:57 PM

I'll bet they do.

Implied ideologies aside, Apple is a business. I'm sure that at times it's cheaper for them to use a few Dells than it is to dip into their own stock of Macs.

Mac Write
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2004, 11:00 PM

Yes it's cheaper for Apple to, but I no they don't do that they all use Macs. This is Fact. They only use PC's when the stuff they need can't be done on Mac (like running the Support site a couple years back).

What does it say about Apple if they used PC's cause they were cheaper? If they won't use their own computer they make, then why should my business? That would be a serious PR nightmare that when it got out would cost Apple hundreds of millions in lost sales. They don't use PC's. They all use Macs. Except for testing stuff on PC and other PC Specific tacks.
Get busy living or get busy dying
--Stephen King

goMac
Posting Junkie
Dec 11, 2004, 11:19 PM

Originally posted by JLFanboy:
I'll bet they do.

Implied ideologies aside, Apple is a business. I'm sure that at times it's cheaper for them to use a few Dells than it is to dip into their own stock of Macs.
Apple would never ever ever ever use a PC in their business except in development labs. They have a HUGE stock of Macs. They will even loan out Macs from their stock to professionals sometimes. In one of my jobs we had a loaned out XServe from Apple doing Macintosh restores for a while. One of the people in our software company is actually a campus representative from Apple and he is using a 12" Powerbook he got from Apple's stock.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

SafariX
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2004, 11:43 PM

Originally posted by goMac:
Apple would never ever ever ever use a PC in their business except in development labs. They have a HUGE stock of Macs. They will even loan out Macs from their stock to professionals sometimes. In one of my jobs we had a loaned out XServe from Apple doing Macintosh restores for a while. One of the people in our software company is actually a campus representative from Apple and he is using a 12" Powerbook he got from Apple's stock.
You are wrong, and I know this first hand. Sorry :/

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Dec 11, 2004, 11:46 PM

Well, for one thing, I imagine the developers working on the Windows versions of iTunes, QuickTime, Shake, etc. need Wintel machines to do their work.

Hopefully they wouldn't be Dells, though. Maybe IBMs or something custom-built.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

goMac
Posting Junkie
Dec 12, 2004, 12:08 AM

Originally posted by SafariX:
You are wrong, and I know this first hand. Sorry :/
Dude... Apple has a huge stock of machines. They even have custom cases to ship them around the country with. Except in programming situations they use Macs, and for web stuff, they create their own web apps these days. Apple has a huge stock of Macs.

Unless your first hand source is Apple themselves... I doubt it... They wouldn't even give us PC's in our Win2k/Mac integration labs. We were using Macs running 2k advanced server under VPC.
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 12, 2004, 02:36 AM

Originally posted by CharlesS:
Hopefully they wouldn't be Dells, though. Maybe IBMs or something custom-built.
...or VPC.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Dec 12, 2004, 02:53 AM

Take that Micheal Dell. I'll bet Apple doesn't have any of your computers

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 12, 2004, 02:56 AM

Originally posted by Eug Wanker:
Winnah!

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2004, 03:17 AM

That picture shows a screen,(not to mention dell doesn't use a logo like that) but i do think that apple does use some pc's.
And about the price of using a computer from their stockpile, The 30 pack educational emac deal retails for 500 a piece, kill the need for paying for a macosx license, -130, most likely apple loses money on each osx license sold so maybe more. 370 or less, no need to ship them to retailers-60. 310 kill the profit made on each machine(probably around 100). 210(cost of buying from dell at least 400, possible discounts, maybe 270 without xp license).

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Dec 12, 2004, 03:36 AM

When the iMac first came out and Apple was back on track making HUGE publicity, Craig Barrett said that he bought one right away and has it on his desk. He's the CEO of Intel.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Truepop
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2004, 03:56 AM

Originally posted by macaddict0001:
That picture shows a screen,(not to mention dell doesn't use a logo like that) but i do think that apple does use some pc's.
what are you disputing here? it's from the iTunes for windows launch and they had dell computers and monitors between all the macs during the event.

Link
Professional Poster
Dec 12, 2004, 04:15 AM

Yes, the only time steve jobs has ever brought a dell on apple's stage was for that, and I'm actually pretty surprised they WOULD endorse what's practically their biggest enemy, why they didn't use IBM or something a bit more obscure is beyond me.
Aloha

JLFanboy
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 12, 2004, 04:16 AM

Originally posted by truepop:
what are you disputing here?

La la la la la la la la la la la la la...

Truepop
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2004, 04:19 AM

Originally posted by JLFanboy:

La la la la la la la la la la la la la...

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Dec 12, 2004, 01:28 PM

dell doesn't use a logo like that

Originally posted by Link:
Yes, the only time steve jobs has ever brought a dell on apple's stage was for that, and I'm actually pretty surprised they WOULD endorse what's practically their biggest enemy, why they didn't use IBM or something a bit more obscure is beyond me.
Also, WWDC 2003.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 12, 2004, 01:51 PM

Apple's got a bunch of PCs. For example, IIRC Apple uses SAS, which of course runs on PC (I don't know of any enterprise software that runs on Macs). They obviously need PCs to do Windows development work, which Apple has been doing for over a decade with QuickTime, the QuickTake camera, LaserWriter drivers, AppleWorks, and now iTunes.

As for Dell... well, 1) they need to know their competition, and 2) graphic designers balk at having to use PCs. Even at Dell they might need to cede to their designers' wishes and buy that department Macs.

tooki

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2004, 07:44 PM

Also, WWDC 2003.
not on their monitors(at least not anymore)

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Dec 12, 2004, 07:50 PM

Here is news for ya, EVERY DAMN PC company uses macs. Most designers and and print houses demand it. Microsoft uses Macs, Dell everyone.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 12, 2004, 08:40 PM

Dell is making a very smart decision to use a Mac.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Link
Professional Poster
Dec 13, 2004, 12:00 AM

I want a dellf for christmas
Aloha

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Dec 13, 2004, 12:38 AM

not on their monitors(at least not anymore)

SouthPaW1227
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 13, 2004, 03:25 PM

You're ignorant if you this there are no PCs in use throughout Apple's business. Without a doubt, anywhere behind closed doors there's a good shot at finding a PC there. They are cheaper, and from a business standpoint, if they need machines to crunch data and do busy work, a PC will fit the bill much easier. Don't kid yourself.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 13, 2004, 03:36 PM

To quote an Apple engineer, Apple "eats its own dog food." They do use their own products internally as much as possible. One of the reasons for this is that it's real-world testing. They see themselves what features people need with those systems in actual use. They've gradually migrated all their web servers (including the Apple online store and the main website) to Mac OS X Server, run Mac OS X for all their point-of-sale, and use custom Mac software for all service provider interaction. I also understand that Apple uses all manner of custom software for all sorts of corporate functions. I just checked... Apple recently migrated to a web-based PeopleSoft implementation. So the clients run Safari (since Apple and PeopleSoft worked together to make sure PeopleSoft works with Safari), but who knows what the PeopleSoft server is running -- not Mac OS X Server, I'm quite certain.

tooki

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Dec 13, 2004, 03:59 PM

Originally posted by tooki:
Apple's got a bunch of PCs. For example, IIRC Apple uses SAS, which of course runs on PC (I don't know of any enterprise software that runs on Macs). They obviously need PCs to do Windows development work, which Apple has been doing for over a decade with QuickTime, the QuickTake camera, LaserWriter drivers, AppleWorks, and now iTunes.

As for Dell... well, 1) they need to know their competition, and 2) graphic designers balk at having to use PCs. Even at Dell they might need to cede to their designers' wishes and buy that department Macs.

tooki
What's SAS ? Or did you mean SAP ?

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

goMac
Posting Junkie
Dec 13, 2004, 04:19 PM

Originally posted by SouthPaW1227:
You're ignorant if you this there are no PCs in use throughout Apple's business. Without a doubt, anywhere behind closed doors there's a good shot at finding a PC there. They are cheaper, and from a business standpoint, if they need machines to crunch data and do busy work, a PC will fit the bill much easier. Don't kid yourself.
Why would they do that? If I can get a machine loaned through my last job through Apple for free, I would assume they can get themselves their own machines. You forget, most of the cost of a mac is Apple's huge margins. Apple doesn't have to pay their own margins. When you get rid of the margins they are just as cheap as PC's, if not cheaper because you're not paying someone else's margin.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 13, 2004, 04:24 PM

Originally posted by Goldfinger:
Uhm, correct me if I'm wrong, but

SAP (back-end) runs on different servers and databases, like Oracle on IBMs etc.

The SAP front-end (GUI) runs on all kinds of computers, and there IS a OS X version.

http://www.oit.duke.edu/techsupport/sap/sapgui/macosx/

-t

hayesk
Dec 13, 2004, 05:14 PM

SAS is Statistical Analysis Software. http://www.sas.com/

I used it in a former job. You basically query huge datasets and run reporting and analysis scripts on it. It had a terrible user interface (all text driven, and not that good of a language either), but it was fast and worked well.

There used to be a classic MacOS version, but there is no MacOS X version, which is kind of stupid since the UNIX version is portable across many different UNIXes.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 13, 2004, 05:20 PM

Errr, yeah, SAP. I kinda thought SAS didn't sound quite right!

But yeah, Apple used to (maybe still uses) SAP, but recently implemented PeopleSoft.

tooki

hayesk
Dec 13, 2004, 05:20 PM

Uhm... no. PCs are only cheaper if you compare capital expenses. Ongoing IT expense puts it more expensive than a Mac.

As just for a data/number cruncher, an XServe comes out ahead - look at the Supercomputer lists and compare prices for Virginia Techs system, and the slower PC based systems.

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 13, 2004, 05:32 PM

But yeah, Apple used to (maybe still uses) SAP, but recently implemented PeopleSoft.

tooki
SAP does have a MacOSX compatible Java client.
weird wabbit

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 13, 2004, 05:46 PM

Would not be uncommon to have both.

Up until recently, the HR modul of SAP sucked, PeopleSoft's was much better. The company I work for does almost everything in SAP, but HR in PeopleSoft.

-t

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2004, 06:08 PM

image of dell craptitude series monitor
huh what do you know, i haven't noticed that before.

fhoubi
Senior User
Dec 13, 2004, 06:22 PM

I'm-a trying to wonder, wonder, wonder why you, wonder, wonder why you act so.

Link
Professional Poster
Dec 13, 2004, 06:41 PM

Who are YOU kidding? Apple makes the machines for THEMSELVES... ala they don't make any money on their own stuff..

If apple needs an emac for their help desk, or whatnot, they pay in parts to make it, since well, it's apple's parts, apple's employees, and who knows what else. To top THAT off, most of apple's internal machines are refurb/rebuild or reused prototypes -- stuff that they would have either thrown out or sold as refurbs anyway.

It probably costs $300 at their own volume to make an emac, maybe $400, which is much less than Dell Crapions would cost apple.

That's as stupid as chevy using toyotas for their employees, or well, you get the idea.

About the only department I can think of that would *NEED* PCs would be the cross-platform testing area, or programming for cross-platform apps -- and of that there's only iTunes and quicktime.

So why would you be giving SOMEONE ELSE a profit when you could just use your own stuff?
Aloha

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 14, 2004, 02:39 AM

There are PCs in Cupertino. Sorry to disappoint you. They probably make up less than 0.5% of computers used, but they are used nonetheless.

Here's a biggie as well: I know of a few departments at Apple that buy their memory from 3rd party vendors. DMS (Data Memory Systems) is one of those vendors.

It's actually cheaper for these internal employees to use 3rd party memory than it is for them to use "Apple" memory.

When I learned that, I just about fell off my rocker. And I don't even have a rocker.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Dec 14, 2004, 03:34 AM

Originally posted by spacefreak:
There are PCs in Cupertino. Sorry to disappoint you. They probably make up less than 0.5% of computers used, but they are used nonetheless.

Here's a biggie as well: I know of a few departments at Apple that buy their memory from 3rd party vendors. DMS (Data Memory Systems) is one of those vendors.

It's actually cheaper for these internal employees to use 3rd party memory than it is for them to use "Apple" memory.

When I learned that, I just about fell off my rocker. And I don't even have a rocker.
Ummmm...

Hate to break it to you...

But ALL Apple memory is 3rd party. Apple doesn't make their own memory. They always buy it from someone else. So Apple isn't paying a price for "Apple" memory. They're paying a price for 3rd party memory. If that 3rd party is expensive, they can buy from a different one, but there is no "Apple" memory.

And yes, there are PC's in the Windows development labs. We know that.

ThisGuy
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2004, 02:25 PM

heeeelllllloooooooo.... They use PCs to test the Tiger x86 port they are working on. Duh!

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 14, 2004, 11:08 PM

but there is no "Apple" memory.
[/B]
There's virtually no "Apple" anything for that matter.

Amazing that people think ANY of this rediculous Mac vs. PC platform war nonsense exists anywhere outside of a. naive consumers fooled by it, and b. the corporate marketing departments that foster it for appearance sake. Beyond that, IE: in the real world, Dell and any other large company couldn't care freakin' less if their graphic, ad and design departments use Macs or not. It's big business, not freakin' platform warrior fantasy-land.

hayesk
Dec 15, 2004, 09:38 AM

Originally posted by CRASH HARDDRIVE:
Amazing that people think ANY of this rediculous Mac vs. PC platform war nonsense exists anywhere outside of a. naive consumers fooled by it, and b. the corporate marketing departments that foster it for appearance sake. Beyond that, IE: in the real world, Dell and any other large company couldn't care freakin' less if their graphic, ad and design departments use Macs or not. It's big business, not freakin' platform warrior fantasy-land.
A coworker of my wife said to her one day, "I would have bought a Mac but I went in the store and they used a PC for their cash register. I figured I didn't want a Mac if the store didn't even use them."

So yes, it does matter, no matter how much sense it has (or doesn't have), as my wife's coworker was not going to user her computer as a cash register.

waffffffle
Mac Elite
Dec 15, 2004, 12:36 PM

He's a student campus representative. His PowerBook did not come from "Apple's stock." All campus reps are equipped by Apple with semi-new gear. That's the way the program works.

As for being loaned an XServe, it was probably loaned to you by your education sales team. Apple will often loan their big customers equipment if it will help increase their sales. You weren't by any chance restoring a bunch of brand new Macs that you had just purchased, were you? The loaner XServe could have been part of the deal.

As for Apple using Windows internally, its pretty rare. They use their own gear, whenever possible. They aren't always using the newest gear though. I saw a secretary in one of Apple's buildings using a couple snow iMacs back in June. That computer had to be pretty old by then.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Dec 15, 2004, 01:29 PM

Originally posted by waffffffle:
He's a student campus representative. His PowerBook did not come from "Apple's stock." All campus reps are equipped by Apple with semi-new gear. That's the way the program works.
It was barcoded just like all Apple stock machines, and was labeled with "Property of Apple Computer" stickers.

Forum Links
Forum Rules