Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Screen gets brighter with user switching.

Screen gets brighter with user switching.
BigZaphod
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 18, 2005, 12:26 PM

It seems like ever since I've had Tiger, my PowerBook's screen gets brighter and brighter or the contrast is messed up or something each time I use the fast user switching stuff. So far it seems like only a reboot fixes this as I haven't found any preferences panels that seem to reset it. Anyone have any idea what's going on? I have a 1.67Ghz PB with 1GB Ram and 10.4.2.

BigZaphod  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 19, 2005, 11:07 AM

Has no one else even seen this behavior? I ran across at least one blog someplace on the web that indicated this isn't just happening to me, but I've not managed to find any more information or even a hint of a fix.

ism
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 19, 2005, 11:14 AM

Is it a difference between color sync profiles on the accounts rather than a change in brightness?

I've seen color sync profiles get 'stuck' so to speak, so they were on the wrong setting and could be changed, the only thing that solved this was a reboot

BigZaphod  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 19, 2005, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by ism
Is it a difference between color sync profiles on the accounts rather than a change in brightness?

I've seen color sync profiles get 'stuck' so to speak, so they were on the wrong setting and could be changed, the only thing that solved this was a reboot
I think you might be right. When I checked my color profiles in my account after a fresh reboot, I had one named "Color LCD" which was selected. Switching to "Generic RGB Profile" caused the same washed out color/contrast problems to appear. Switching back to "Color LCD" made it look right again.

Then I user switched to my fiancee's account. Her screen color looks fine. I switched back to mine, and its all washed out now. So I checked in my color profile and "Color LCD" is now missing from the list! I switched back to her account, and she doesn't even have "Color LCD" in her preferences (only "Generic RGB Profile") - except the colors look right on her account and not mine!

Any idea how to fix this? Very strange.

Voch
Mac Elite
Aug 19, 2005, 01:46 PM

How's about checking the Energy Saver preferences for the two users? There's a "dim the backlight" setting in there...

Voch

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Aug 19, 2005, 01:51 PM

Calibrate?

BigZaphod  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 19, 2005, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by budster101
Calibrate?
It says "The factory profile for the display could not be found."

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Aug 19, 2005, 02:21 PM

What?

You don't see this?
[dammit budster, learn to not post oversize images, wouldja?! --tooki]
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y34...alibration.jpg

System Preferences > Displays > Color > Calibrate
( Last edited by tooki; Aug 19, 2005 at 06:12 PM. )

BigZaphod  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 19, 2005, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by budster101
What?

You don't see this?
System Preferences > Displays > Color > Calibrate
Heck no.

With the "Show profiles for this display only" checked, I only see "Generic RGB Profile" now. (After a fresh reboot, I also saw "Color LCD" which I no longer see.) If I uncheck that box, I also see a profile named "sRGB Profile". That's it. And of course the calibrate button refuses to work, as I said earlier.

jasonlustig
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 19, 2005, 02:46 PM

This has happened to me before, it was very annoying and I was pretty pissed because I had spent a good 20 minutes calibrating my LCD with SuperCal, and had to do it again but it wouldn't work... rebooting fixed it though, I felt like I was back on windows! It seems that it's not generall user switching but fast user switching, though I only had the problem once and I've used fast user switching since then and it hasn't happened again (thank goodness!)

BigZaphod  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 19, 2005, 03:05 PM

Arg. Ok, I rebooted and then went straight to Calibrate. This time, it worked and allowed me to calibrate. It created a profile called "Color LCD Calibrated". Fine. All wonderful. Then I switched to the other account and then back to mine. Color was messed up again.

So then I moved the color profile from my (homedir)/Library/ColorSync/Profiles folder to /Library/ColorSync/Profiles and reselected it on my profiles screen, switched users, and selected it on that profile screen. Then I rebooted to clear the messed up color.

When I came back, my display was fine, of course, then I switched users. That user's display was fine however that user's preferences showed that Generic RGB was selected as the profile and not the calibrated one! So I tried to select the Calibrated one again and switch back to my account. Colors still screwed up.

This is quite frustrating.

BigZaphod  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 19, 2005, 03:27 PM

Ok, I found a solution that works for now, but it still is slightly upsetting it had to be this... inconvenient.

Solution:
- rebooted to make sure everything was fresh and reset
- logged in as my user, calibrated, saved profile, selected new calibrated color profile.
- rebooted
- logged in as the other user, calibrated, saved profile, selected new calibrated color profile.
- rebooted

Now fast user switching works and the colors don't get messed up between these two users. This seems like a very wrong procedure, though. What if you had 4 or 5 users? Or more? You'd have to do this for each one, I think. Very annoying. In any case, it works for me now. If anyone knows of a better solution, feel free to let me know.

BTW, this was an upgraded Tiger install which might have something to do with all this. I've been considering backing up and doing a total wipe and fresh install of Tiger and this is just one more sign that perhaps I need to do that.

jasonlustig
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 19, 2005, 05:07 PM

There is a way to fix it so that you trick OSX into thinking that your calibrated settings are the "default" so that when you hit the bug instead of going to the default washed-out colors it goes to your calibrated settings. I have the link bookmarked but don't have time to look for it now - if you want to poke around my bookmarks it will be somewhere in http://del.icio.us/lustig/apple/

jason

doublep
Forum Regular
Aug 19, 2005, 05:57 PM

I had the same problem - the following solution was given to me by RussS in another forum:

"If you have access to the August 2005 issue of Mac Addict the answer to your
problem is on page 19.

They explain it much better than I can but here's the gist of it:

Go to /System/Library/ColorSync/Profiles and drag Generic RGB Profile.icc to
the desktop. It will be copied there because it's a system file.

Select it's name and copy it. The name not the file.

Locate your custom profile and Make a copy of it.

Select the copy's name and paste in the Generic's name.

Drag this file into the home of the real Generic profile. You'll have to
authenticate to do so.

That's it!"

Forum Links
Forum Rules