Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Dual G5 1.8GHz

Dual G5 1.8GHz
ae86_16v
Mac Elite
Jul 31, 2003, 07:10 PM

I just got an email from a company called eUnitek and they are offering the Dual 1.8 for $2,399. I check on the Apple's site and there wasn't anything there. . .

512MB DDR400 128-bit SRAM, 160GB Serial ATA, Superdrive
( Last edited by ae86_16v; Jul 31, 2003 at 07:54 PM. )

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jul 31, 2003, 07:18 PM

Originally posted by ae86_16v:
I just got an email from a company called eUnitek and they are offering the Dual 1.8 for $2,399. I check on the Apple's site and there wasn't anything there. . .
Either they don't know what they're talking about, or it's a scam.

anti-sleep
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 31, 2003, 08:07 PM

Though there have been rumors about Apple adding this configuration...maybe they weren't supposed to say anything before next week...

silverlode
Forum Regular
Jul 31, 2003, 10:04 PM

On their website that's the price they are selling the regular 1.8. Considering Apple sells the regular 1.8 for the same price, looks like they probably just made a mistake. I remember someone mentioning that when they ordered their 1.8 from Apple right after the announcement, the Apple person on the phone kept saying "enjoy your dual 1.8GHz G5" and stuff like that. Sometimes people just don't know what the heck they're saying.
calibrated in-phase cylindrical chamber technician

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Jul 31, 2003, 10:19 PM

I always kinda thought that the 1.8ghz G5 should have had a BTO option for dual processors. I would not be surprised at all to see apple offer a dual 1.8 especially if the 2ghz ones are later than expected.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

kupan787
Senior User
Aug 1, 2003, 12:13 AM

Originally posted by silverlode:
I remember someone mentioning that when they ordered their 1.8 from Apple right after the announcement, the Apple person on the phone kept saying "enjoy your dual 1.8GHz G5" and stuff like that. Sometimes people just don't know what the heck they're saying.
That person was me

Ya, I ordered on the phone, and the lady kept mentioning dual 1.8. I chalked it up to it being the first day they were on sale, and the middle computer used to be duals. But who knows...

tanhauser
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 1, 2003, 02:48 AM

Apparently the demand for the Dual 2.0 Ghz G5 has been overwhelming for Apple, with the bulk of the orders being made for that configuration. Rumor has it that in order to ease the load on that configuration, Apple is toying with the idea of offering a DP BTO option for the 1.8 Ghz model, thus spreading orders across the line more evenly.

Of course, this is what the rumors tell, I wouldn't go and make any purchasing decisions until, and if, Apple announces something.

F

ae86_16v  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2003, 03:48 AM

I heard as much as 50% where dual 2.0s .

Yeah, I just check the website too, it is just the regular 1.8GHz, sorry for the confusion.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 1, 2003, 04:44 AM

Since all of this speculation is based on the MacB. rumor, one has to remember the context when discussing this issue. With that said, dual 1.8GHz configurations are plausible. If you look at the configuration page for the new (aka old) G4 MDDs, you'll see that you can turn a single 1.25GHz into a dual 1.25GHz by selecting "Add a second processor." (I suppose that they're not sticking in an extra processor BTO, as the page would suggest, but instead using a preconfigured Dual 1.25GHz.) Since Apple does offer that G4 option, it's not inconceivable that such an option could be added to the G5 page.

I'd love to know, though, what the internal layout of the current single 1.8GHz looks like. Since it shares a motherboard with the 2GHz, wouldn't it stand to reason that there's a slot there for a second 1.8GHz G5? I'm not entirely sure how the G5s connect to the motherboard, but I remember reading that they are slotted rather than soldered.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 1, 2003, 09:18 AM

Originally posted by Big Mac:
Since all of this speculation is based on the MacB. rumor, one has to remember the context when discussing this issue. With that said, dual 1.8GHz configurations are plausible. If you look at the configuration page for the new (aka old) G4 MDDs, you'll see that you can turn a single 1.25GHz into a dual 1.25GHz by selecting "Add a second processor." (I suppose that they're not sticking in an extra processor BTO, as the page would suggest, but instead using a preconfigured Dual 1.25GHz.) Since Apple does offer that G4 option, it's not inconceivable that such an option could be added to the G5 page.

I'd love to know, though, what the internal layout of the current single 1.8GHz looks like. Since it shares a motherboard with the 2GHz, wouldn't it stand to reason that there's a slot there for a second 1.8GHz G5? I'm not entirely sure how the G5s connect to the motherboard, but I remember reading that they are slotted rather than soldered.
Conjecture, judging by what I've read: I suspect the motherboard is the same, and indeed, the G5 may be socketed. However, even if it is socketed, most likely the 2nd socket isn't there in the single 1.8 (to save a bit of cash, and to prevent upgrading). So you'd still need to do some soldering.

And that's of course assuming the rest of the motherboard is set up to take the second processor. It probably is: If you physically remove a processor from a dual 2.0, it runs fine as a single.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 1, 2003, 01:10 PM

I haven't been able to determine if the mobo in the dual is the "same" (but underpopulated) mobo as in the 1.8. It seems likely since both have PCI-X. The 1.6 mobo HAS to be different than the others.

"Add a processor" for the 1.25 OS9 G4 is not "adding a processor" to the machine. It is merely changing the order to a dual processor machine. Don't think literally adding a processor.

I am very interested in a 1.8 dual if Apple is considering it. While $2500 is still a little more than I would like to spend (since my $2200 system is only 16 months old!) it is more bearable than $3k for the dual 2G.

I think Apple would sell a lot of Dual 1.8s.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

teh tenk
Aug 1, 2003, 01:58 PM

Yeah, but at the rumored price of 2,549...who would pay 3,000 for a mere 200mhz?

docholiday
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 1, 2003, 02:35 PM

Originally posted by teh tenk:
Yeah, but at the rumored price of 2,549...who would pay 3,000 for a mere 200mhz?
Most people wouldn't.. I wouldn't. Only those who need the speed would.

I think if Apple goes with Dual 1.8s, people who couldn't afford the dual 2.0s or wanted to wait a while longer, might be tempted to go for it. It also makes the system more competitive.

teh tenk
Aug 1, 2003, 02:39 PM

Originally posted by docholiday:
Most people wouldn't.. I wouldn't. Only those who need the speed would.

I think if Apple goes with Dual 1.8s, people who couldn't afford the dual 2.0s or wanted to wait a while longer, might be tempted to go for it. It also makes the system more competitive.
Would that make up for people who would cancel their order for a 2x2 to get a 2x1.8? I don't know, Apple would be losing 450 bucks for every person who did that.

It kinda makes sense, but I don't see it happening. I think this is one of those things where somebody was talking about the possibility of a 2x1.8, and somebody saw that and went "OMG THER WILL BE A 1.8? BETTAR SPRED THE NEWS!"

But hey, we are all so hungry for little talk tidbits about the G5...so this is fun.

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2003, 02:52 PM

Apple's been doing this for years. The top of the line model has rarely been this far superior to the middle model. What they'll do is sell dual 2.0 for a while, get all the people who want the biggest & best, all those who have been holding off since Blue and White days, or earlier, and are ready to sell the farm for their new machine. Then when that demand is met, you'll have people sort of on the fence. Releasing the dual 1.8 is a great way to get the fence sitters to open their checkbooks. Its like a speed bump, but they don't even have to actually bump the speeds.

Dual 1.8 would be perfect for me.

docholiday
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 1, 2003, 03:31 PM

Would that make up for people who would cancel their order for a 2x2 to get a 2x1.8? I don't know, Apple would be losing 450 bucks for every person who did that.
I think it would make up for it...

One more thing I didn't mention before is that because Apple has a way higher number of 1.8Ghz processors (when looking at the PPC970 yields), they can deliver them quicker. This means people, who need their computer sooner will probably go for these. Also, this will take pressure of the 2Ghz models and enable Apple to deliver the products to most people asap.

teh tenk
Aug 1, 2003, 03:58 PM

Originally posted by docholiday:
I think it would make up for it...

One more thing I didn't mention before is that because Apple has a way higher number of 1.8Ghz processors (when looking at the PPC970 yields), they can deliver them quicker. This means people, who need their computer sooner will probably go for these. Also, this will take pressure of the 2Ghz models and enable Apple to deliver the products to most people asap.
I hear ya...

The only reason I a skeptical is because it seems too good to be true for me...I have a 1.8 on order. I would gladly pay 150 bucks to have another 970 in there.

I guess I'd rather be surprised than let down.

docholiday
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 1, 2003, 04:19 PM

I hear ya...

The only reason I a skeptical is because it seems too good to be true for me...I have a 1.8 on order. I would gladly pay 150 bucks to have another 970 in there.

I guess I'd rather be surprised than let down.

True, true... my problem is I get excited and then am disappointed...

zac.m
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 2, 2003, 07:21 PM

Does a secondary processor decrease render time in Final Cut?
worker bees can leave
even drones can fly away
the queen is their slave.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 2, 2003, 10:11 PM

Originally posted by zac.m:
The opposite: Makes it faster

Edit: Oops, I misread. I thought it said INCREASE render time.
( Last edited by Eriamjh; Aug 3, 2003 at 08:08 AM. )

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

zac.m
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 2, 2003, 10:32 PM

Isnt decreasing render time and making it faster the same thing?
worker bees can leave
even drones can fly away
the queen is their slave.

x user
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2003, 10:32 PM

Originally posted by Eriamjh:
The opposite: Makes it faster
Huh?

:XI:
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2003, 11:22 PM

But wouldn't you really be paying $451 for 400mhz?

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Aug 3, 2003, 12:11 AM

Originally posted by :XI::
And the bus; don't forget the bus.

teh tenk
Aug 3, 2003, 01:01 AM

Originally posted by :XI::
Only if we can call it the G5 4ghz.

Azzgunther
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 3, 2003, 07:02 AM

Apple wouldn't be losing $450 on each "lost" 2 ghz processor order, because the 2 ghz processors will cost more to Apple to order anyway. I would expect that a 2 ghz processor costs 15-25% more per processor to Apple than a 1.8 ghz one and thus, if a person changed to a DP 1.8 ghz machine the loss would be much more minor.
( Last edited by Azzgunther; Aug 4, 2003 at 12:09 AM. )

Hydra
Senior User
Aug 3, 2003, 04:15 PM

Originally posted by zac.m:
FCP loves the other proc. Makes a big difference.

-Jerry C

DrBoar
Senior User
Aug 4, 2003, 06:23 AM

The current lineup with most bang for the bucks in the high end model is a very odd one. The G4 towers have been all single CPUs to all dual CPUs and quite a number of different constellations inbetween, so Apple have proven to be quite flexible in this regard...

If orders on DP 2 outstrip demands and SP 1.6/1.8 sales are less than what they hope for duals could be a way to generate sales. However, the real test will come when potential customers can tests the various G5s alongside G4s and make their own shoice of buy or wait. If a SP 1.6/1.8 G5 is way faster than a dual G4 1.42 the temptation to buy will be great. If on the other hand only the DP G5 is the only real G4 killer the sales of the SP G5 will suffer.

I do not see any reason for Apple to introduce a new G5 before the other ones are shipping but having a dual 1.8 in the wings when the feedback from actual customers comes in is prudent

Having customers waiting for a revised G5 early 2004 does not improve Apples bottom line for this and next quarter

Esquare
Aug 4, 2003, 06:47 AM

Originally posted by DrBoar:
I do not see any reason for Apple to introduce a new G5 before the other ones are shipping but having a dual 1.8 in the wings when the feedback from actual customers comes in is prudent

Having customers waiting for a revised G5 early 2004 does not improve Apples bottom line for this and next quarter
Judging by the rumors floating around, 'waiting customers' are the least of Apple's worries. The main problem is rolling out enough Dual G5 to satisfy the demand. In that respect the Dual 1.8 might alleviate things.

I completely agree with your assessment of the G5 lineup, though.

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2003, 09:13 PM

In regards to the comments on relieving shortages, I believe that these shortages are calculated to drive prices up. Apple doesn't want to have a surplus, since that drives prices down. They know they can unload most of the machines they make, and keep their profit margins nice and high.

Once initial strong demand fades, it will become more economical to push the low-end buyers to the middle ground with a deal they can't refuse. I predict the middle configuration will once again become the sweet spot.

awcopus
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2003, 11:10 PM

I would think that the sudden announcement of a dual 1.8 machine would not alleviate Apple's problems but compound them. There would be a flood of orders for that machine and the chip availability issue would simply apply to two of the three pro configs.

But seriously, has Apple ever done something like this? Announced one product line-up and then altered it within a month of its shipping?

No way this is going to happen. Jobs insisted that Apple would have an aggressive approach towards the desktop line, but this would be more trouble than it's worth.

cowerd
Senior User
Aug 5, 2003, 01:59 AM

In regards to the comments on relieving shortages, I believe that these shortages are calculated to drive prices up. Apple doesn't want to have a surplus, since that drives prices down. They know they can unload most of the machines they make, and keep their profit margins nice and high.
Sure, because these shortages always make Apple look good in the eyes of analysts, consumers and future customers. Why not create a shortage to keep profits high, because it has such a good short term and long term effect on the company.
yo frat boy. where's my tax cut.

DrBoar
Senior User
Aug 5, 2003, 05:52 AM

I hope that you are saracstic cowerd!
As you do not make any money on "shortage" and not even on "demand" the magical word is "sale"

For a while all G5s might sell like crazy regardless of SP and DP but I ask myself: The DP 2.0 might be the fastest PC there is but then the SP 1.8 is about half of that and still cost 2400 hmmmmm.

teh tenk
Aug 5, 2003, 12:11 PM

Originally posted by DrBoar:

For a while all G5s might sell like crazy regardless of SP and DP but I ask myself: The DP 2.0 might be the fastest PC there is but then the SP 1.8 is about half of that and still cost 2400 hmmmmm.
Yes, because you know...processor speed is everything.

awcopus
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2003, 02:57 PM

Should be fascinating to hear from all of the first-gen G5 owners after the second and third revisions come out. Will they be glad they dived in? Will the radically improved price-to-performance ratios of newer machines freak them out about how much they spent?

The drama....the comedy....the romance.....the bull.

I believe that most of these early buyers are kids with too much money and adults with too little patience, with a sprinkling of assorted professionals who will actually benefit signficantly from the raw power. Most will unwrap their new machines, oohh and ahhh, and then spend most of their computing time doing what they always used to do....surfing the web, emailing, chatting... LOL!

yanges
Aug 5, 2003, 09:04 PM

Originally posted by awcopus:
Most will unwrap their new machines, oohh and ahhh, and then spend most of their computing time doing what they always used to do....surfing the web, emailing, chatting... LOL!
nothing wrong with that

i have waited years [ 3 ] to upgrade to a newer Mac and this is what i have been waiting for....

yanges

please help save our planet!
http://www.therainforestsite.com

Cube 450mhz, 20gb, 832mb ram,OSX.2.6, SoundSticks, 17"Apple Studio Display, iBot

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 10, 2003, 12:24 PM

Originally posted by awcopus:
Should be fascinating to hear from all of the first-gen G5 owners after the second and third revisions come out. Will they be glad they dived in? Will the radically improved price-to-performance ratios of newer machines freak them out about how much they spent?

The drama....the comedy....the romance.....the bull.

I believe that most of these early buyers are kids with too much money and adults with too little patience, with a sprinkling of assorted professionals who will actually benefit signficantly from the raw power. Most will unwrap their new machines, oohh and ahhh, and then spend most of their computing time doing what they always used to do....surfing the web, emailing, chatting... LOL!
Not neccessarily. Many early G5 adopters will be those who have waited patiently to upgrade their machines. How about all the people who have been using their 450MHz G4s for years now, waiting and waiting for Apple to release something faster.

I'm considering one myself. I'm not a kid with too much money (unless you consider 34 years-old a kid), and I'm not an impatient adult, either. I'm someone who uses his computer for serious work. I am a physician at an academic institution. I spend half of my time at work manipulating large Excel, PowerPoint, Word and PDF files, EndNote library building and editing high resolution medical images for publications and teaching files. Lots of multitasking (burning CDs & data DVDs while PhotoShoping, PowerPointing or PDFing)

Presently, I can use either a fast AMD Athlon XP @ 2.3GHz and Windows XP pro (w/ an 18" LCD), or a significantly slower 1GHz PowerBook G4 (docked w/ a 22" Cinema Display & fast FireWire HD). While I'd prefer to use OS X over WinXP, the Mac is just too slow (read: responsive, Snappy (TM)) compared to the Windows box. The G5 will definately even the playing field.

A dual 2.0GHz G5 (or perhaps a dual 1.8GHz G5 if the rumors are true) plus 10.3 Panther would be a killer system. And I'd choose it over my PC.

Forum Links
Forum Rules