Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Transfer lots data files from Windows to iBook

Transfer lots data files from Windows to iBook
smileydub
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 1, 2005, 01:19 PM

I now use Windows 2000 on an old IBM Thinkpad T23, and I'm considering buying a new iBook G4. How can I transfer all my data files from the windows laptop to the iBook without buying new software or gadgets? I presently use the ethernet crossover cable or the USB external hard-drive for transferring data to other windows computers.

My present data files are in:

1. Microsoft Office Excel
2. MS word - mostly in doc. and rft. format.
3. emails in Outlook Express
4. audio files in wma., mp3, and wav. format
5. pictures in jpg. and tiff. format

If I were to open up the iBook within the first 12 months of warranty to upgrade the RAM or the hard-drive, would that void the warranty?

Is it possible to connect the iBook to the standard LCD panel? I notice that the video out on the left side of the iBook is different from the usual VGA cable used in my IBM laptop for connecting to the LCD panel. Maybe it needs an adapter on the iBook, and if so, what would it cost?

Would appreciate your suggestions. Thanks.

pat++
Mac Elite
Jun 1, 2005, 04:06 PM

You can use your ethernet cable or your USB drive to transfer files between your PC and the iBook. Upgrading the RAM doesn't void the warranty (you just need to lift the keyboard to add your memory). Upgrading the harddrive would void the warranty though. The iBook requires a VGA adapter to connect an external display. You will find it in the box ! it's free.

smileydub  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 2, 2005, 10:50 AM

Thanks for your quick reply!

Can I export email addresses from Outlook Express to iBook? At present I export these address in WAB format to be used in another window computer.

Someone in this forum said his iBook G3 600mHz has been very good in the last 4 years but I also learn from elsewhere that an earlier model iBook logic board has been recalled. Do you know what model and type has been recalled?

Thanks in advance.

pat++
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2005, 05:36 PM

You can easily import emails if you have an IMAP access. Copy all your emails on your IMAP account and then copy them back from the IMAP account on the Mac.

Alternatively you can use Outlook2Mac (I never tried) :

http://www.littlemachines.com/

All (white) iBook G3 (500mhz up to 900mhz) are subject to the logic board repair program. It does not concern iBook G4. See below :

http://www.apple.com/support/ibook/faq
( Last edited by pat++; Jun 2, 2005 at 06:03 PM. )

smileydub  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 2, 2005, 11:01 PM

How many of you watched an entire two hour DVD movie with the iBook sitting on your lap and finding the heat bearable?

Someone wrote that Steven Jobs might release a new iBook within the next 2 weeks, so I'll just wait till then to buy my iBook and hope that the new design might make it less daunting to open it up to replace the hard drive.

Forum Links
Forum Rules