Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Best current deal on a 12" iBook

Best current deal on a 12" iBook
mavherzog
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 30, 2005, 08:48 PM

MacMall.com currently has 12" iBooks for sale at $994. Plus they have a $50 mail-in rebate as well as a free 1GB ram upgrade (gotta pay for installation though).

So, it comes down to this:

$ 994.00 12" iBook
$ 218.99 1GB extra RAM + install
-----------
$1212.99
+ $8.89 [shipping to my location]
-----------
$1221.88
- $179.00 RAM rebate
-----------
$1042.88
- $50.00 iBook rebate
-----------
$ 992.88

So $992.88 total price shipped to my location. (12" iBook, 1.33Ghz, 1.5GB ram, 40GB hd, combo drive, AE and BT)

Any place have a current better deal than this??

mavherzog  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 1, 2005, 09:38 AM

This is over $500 less than the same system direct from Apple.

I'll take the lack of response as a good sign this is a good deal.

Dave N
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 1, 2005, 11:43 AM

In my opinion, you can always get a better deal ordering from someplace like macmall or macconnectin rather than from Apple. Apple will ship for free, but they charge you tax, which is around $75 on an iBook. The online retailers won't charge tax unless your billing address is in the same state, and they are always running a free RAM upgrade (and sometimes a free printer or bag too). Personally, I don't know why anyone would order directly from Apple unless a student discount was involved. I get a Gov't employee discount from Apple, but by the time they add in tax and I have to buy more ram, the online retailer always has a better deal.

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2005, 12:36 PM

yes - "the student discount" *wink wink*

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2005, 12:57 PM

Double-check Apple's refurb. page. My last three Macs have all been refurbs, and I'm happy with them.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2005, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by chris v
Double-check Apple's refurb. page. My last three Macs have all been refurbs, and I'm happy with them.

yes refurbs are a good deal, i have gotten a few and they have always been fine - smalldog.com is good for refurbs too

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2005, 07:59 PM

You can purchase a new 12" ibook without the ram for $799 at www.macgobbler.com

mavherzog  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 2, 2005, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by the_glassman
You can purchase a new 12" ibook without the ram for $799 at www.macgobbler.com
If I can get a 1GB stick of ram for the iBook shipped for under $130, that would definitely be a better deal.

mavherzog  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 2, 2005, 09:18 PM

BTW...anyone have a review on MacGobbler?? Never heard of the place? Are they a decent vendor to deal with?

mavherzog  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 3, 2005, 10:41 AM

Haven't been able to find any customer reviews or information on MacGobbler.

Glassman, you recommended them. What is your past experience with this company?

toneloco28
Oct 3, 2005, 10:58 AM

My suspicion of MacGobbler is that this is the same guy that has been running scams on unsuspecting Mac users for the past year. It was a big story over on Macrumors. An arbirtrary website, that appears to offer Macs at prices lower than anyone else on the net... After ordering with your credit card, the guy tells you it doesn't go through, and can you pay by western union, or bank draft. This guy must have opened up 10-15 different stores, and ripped people off 10's of thousands of dollars if not more. So bottom line-whatever you do DON"T order from that place.

Disclaimer to owner of site- (If this is infact a reputable establishment, you have my sincere apologies. Altough I'm fairly certain, due to similarities in the wording of the website, it's not)

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2005, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by mavherzog
Haven't been able to find any customer reviews or information on MacGobbler.

Glassman, you recommended them. What is your past experience with this company?
Honestly, I haven't used them and their prices look a little to good too be true, but I've thought about purchasing an ibook at that price with my credit card only to find out and take one for the mac community.

Originally Posted by toneloco28
My suspicion of MacGobbler is that this is the same guy that has been running scams on unsuspecting Mac users for the past year. It was a big story over on Macrumors. An arbirtrary website, that appears to offer Macs at prices lower than anyone else on the net... After ordering with your credit card, the guy tells you it doesn't go through, and can you pay by western union, or bank draft. This guy must have opened up 10-15 different stores, and ripped people off 10's of thousands of dollars if not more. So bottom line-whatever you do DON"T order from that place.

Disclaimer to owner of site- (If this is infact a reputable establishment, you have my sincere apologies. Altough I'm fairly certain, due to similarities in the wording of the website, it's not)
I wasn't aware of the scam going around, but I'm certainly glad you brought it to our attention. While were at it, here is another place that has prices that are just too good to be true.
http://your-mobile-world.com/AppleLaptops.htm
$1748 for a 30" Apple Display???

Edit: I did a WHOIS: On Mac Gobbler and it shows somebody in MI, while the site states they are based in Florida with a warehouse in CA. On the website it also states established in 1995, but when you go to the "about" page it says they have been in business for 8 years???
The site was also created September 5th and only has a one year domain contract.
Look for yourself.
http://www.betterwhois.com/bwhois.cg....com&x=67&y=25
your-mobil-world.com was purchased/created exactly a week (to the day) later.
Things that make you go hmmm.
( Last edited by the_glassman; Oct 3, 2005 at 11:21 AM. )

mavherzog  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 3, 2005, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by toneloco28

Any chance you can provide a link to the story on Macrumors? (did a quick search there and didn't find anything)

mavherzog  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 3, 2005, 11:24 AM

Noticed that myself. Sent an e-mail off to the contact of the domain.

Also interesting to note...if you look up the California address on Google maps, it appears to be a residential neighborhood, however, the address on the website is listed with a suite number.

toneloco28
Oct 3, 2005, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by mavherzog
Any chance you can provide a link to the story on Macrumors? (did a quick search there and didn't find anything)
This is how it all began. Actually makes for a pretty interesting read.

mavherzog  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 4, 2005, 09:47 AM

Had a friend do some research yesterday. I know this is no shocker, but macgobbler.com is definitely a scam.

smileydub
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 5, 2005, 10:53 AM

Do a search in this forum as well as in epinion.com on MacMall.com and you will read many cases of MacMall.com removing genuine Apple RAM and replacing with unknown RAMs. Here is one example: http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...ht=macmall.com

If anyone has more horror stories on MacMall.com please share your experience here.

mavherzog  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 5, 2005, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by smileydub
Do a search in this forum as well as in epinion.com on MacMall.com and you will read many cases of MacMall.com removing genuine Apple RAM and replacing with unknown RAMs. Here is one example: http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...ht=macmall.com
Well then...good thing I ordered from Amazon!

Forum Links
Forum Rules