Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Mapping your own genome

Mapping your own genome
Psychonaut
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 19, 2005, 11:37 PM

Yeah, so maybe it's a ridiculously expensive question, but if you really wanted to, what companies out there will decode your personal genome?

I think I've been reading too much Ray Kurzweil.
DBGFHRGL!

Mithras
Professional Poster
Nov 20, 2005, 10:14 AM

Not possible yet. It took 15 years and several billion dollars for the first genome. The next several will take a couple years and a few tens of millions.

voyageur
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2005, 10:17 AM

I don't know about decoding your entire genome (and why bother? it would mostly be pretty boring), but there are some interesting things you might find out with a targeted search of your genes.

I signed up with National Geographic's Genographic Project. You send them some cheek cells, and via genetic markers they trace your ancestors' journey out of Africa (or within Africa, if they're still there) from 200,000 years ago till about the last ice age. Interactive map

If you're a man, they use markers on your Y chromosome and so only your paternal lineage is traced. If you're a woman, they use markers on your mitochondrial DNA, so only maternal lineage is traced. The fee is $100 and it supports National Geographic's ongoing genetic studies of human migration. Here's a map of my maternal lineage (follow arrows). They migrated out of Africa 50,000 years ago, and eventually ended up on the northern shores of the Black Sea about 15,000 years ago.

Because I was also interested in my paternal lineage, I asked my father to send his DNA in, which he did. I found out that his ancestors arrived in Europe later, and were probably related to the people who made all those fat little goddess icons.

There are other companies who will do more detailed lineages, but for quite a bit more money. Time magazine had an article on them recently.

SVass
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2005, 03:34 PM

If you are really interested, here is the web site of the company that is doing the testing:
http://www.familytreedna.com/
For men, they will do both your y dna and your mtdna which you get from your mother. Ladies only have the mtdna. They (and their competitors) do all sorts of genetic tests that are useful for those interested in migration patterns of their ancestors (and will not be shocked to find a surprise or two.) sam

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/10095659/

was the NBC clip on the project.

Forum Links
Forum Rules