Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Ok, so I'm a little more bored and obsessive than I realized...

Ok, so I'm a little more bored and obsessive than I realized...
Dakar
Professional Poster
Feb 13, 2006, 02:17 PM

I'm sitting here at work, looking over the 05-06 stats of some NBA players and mentally comparing them to the results I'm getting in my NBA Live season.

It should be noted I don't actually play the game obsessively, around 5 28 min games a week, but I have this perfectionist streak, so I'm trying to get it to play as realistically as possible.

So, am I like the only guy who does dumb stuff like this? God knows Madden people can be twice as bad from what I've heard.

PookJP
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 13, 2006, 02:18 PM

I have no clue what you're talking about beyond the fact you're wasting your life on a video game. Go travel; it'll put what you're doing into perspective and might motivate you to build a time machine and travel back to slap yourself around.
It's the devil's way now.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Feb 13, 2006, 02:21 PM

I can't stand basketball, but when playing other EA Sports games, I'll start the season over when I lose...baseball, nascar, golf...cause I want it to be perfect; not match real teams/players.

Dakar  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 13, 2006, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by PookJP
I have no clue what you're talking about beyond the fact you're wasting your life on a video game. Go travel; it'll put what you're doing into perspective and might motivate you to build a time machine and travel back to slap yourself around.
Well, aren't we on the high horse this morning. I already stated I spend less than 5 hours a week playing the game... People watch ahelluva lot more TV than that. At least video games require some effort.

Originally Posted by residentEvil
I can't stand basketball, but when playing other EA Sports games, I'll start the season over when I lose...baseball, nascar, golf...cause I want it to be perfect; not match real teams/players.
Well that's been one resolution this season. It's a computer and it may cheese you to death sometimes, but I keep all the losses. I'm not 12 anymore.

PookJP
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 13, 2006, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar
Well, aren't we on the high horse this morning.
Yes! I just got back from a 3 1/2 month trip backpacking in Asia on a few bucks/day. I came away from the experience having contempt and pity for people who squander their time on things like video games when there are so many remarkable experiences waiting to be had, either locally or abroad.

Dakar  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 13, 2006, 02:33 PM

Yes! I just got back from a 3 1/2 month trip backpacking in Asia on a few bucks/day. I came away from the experience having contempt and pity for people who squander their time on things like video games when there are so many remarkable experiences waiting to be had, either locally or abroad.
Well you show me how to backpack in Asia during that time I have free between when I get off work and when I have to go back in and I'm there!

PookJP
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 13, 2006, 02:36 PM

Well you show me how to backpack in Asia during that time I have free between when I get off work and when I have to go back in and I'm there!
Easy! Tell your boss you're quitting because you feel like backpacking in Asia. If yours is anything like mine, he won't call the police and get a court injunction on your trip. Then you're free to go.

Dakar  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 13, 2006, 02:41 PM

Easy! Tell your boss you're quitting because you feel like backpacking in Asia. If yours is anything like mine, he won't call the police and get a court injunction on your trip. Then you're free to go.
So now you want me to quit my job? Isn't that a bit of a harsh penalty for playing 5 hours of video games a week? How will I pay my bills?

Here, let's have some REAL fun. You've obviously stereotyped me, so why don't you tell me how many countries I've visited in my lifetime?

Oh, and I hope you don't watch TV, cos then you'd just be a hypocrite.

PookJP
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 13, 2006, 02:45 PM

So now you want me to quit my job? Isn't that a bit of a harsh penalty for playing 5 hours of video games a week? How will I pay my bills?

Here, let's have some REAL fun. You've obviously stereotyped me, so why don't you tell me how many countries I've visited in my lifetime?

Oh, and I hope you don't watch TV, cos then you'd just be a hypocrite.
*hits your banter detector*

Here, I'll give you a totally serious post:

Dear Sir,

Please forgive my egregious actions of February 13th (forever to be known as "The Events of 2/13"). I am not in a position of authority on your life such to allow a complete list of countries you've visited, nor am I qualified to give career advice.

Please accept my most sincere apologies.

PookJP
MacNN Member

ps - I don't have my TV connected

Dakar  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 13, 2006, 02:57 PM

*hits your banter detector*

Here, I'll give you a totally serious post:

Dear Sir,

Please forgive my egregious actions of February 13th (forever to be known as "The Events of 2/8"). I am not in a position of authority on your life such to allow a complete list of countries you've visited, nor am I qualified to give career advice.

Please accept my most sincere apologies.

PookJP
MacNN Member

ps - I don't have my TV connected
You don't seem like the TV type.

I, however am I child of technology. I can appreciate nature, enjoy it's beauty, but it bores me in extended periods.

Did you manage to pass through Tibet? While cliché, it's one of about 3 places I want to visit in Asia (the other two being Honk Kong and Tokyo).

PookJP
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 13, 2006, 02:59 PM

Nature on its own bores me; that's why I didn't spend much time at the Thai beaches. Yeah, it was silent and beautiful in the postcard way, but how was that adding to my life?

I didn't get into Tibet, unfortunately. I tried when I was in Nepal, but the visa process was too lengthy for my trip (3.5 months was way too short). I could have fudged the entry process, but it's questionable legally and I didn't feel like getting into it with Chinese authorities.

Dakar  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 13, 2006, 03:04 PM

Nature on its own bores me; that's why I didn't spend much time at the Thai beaches. Yeah, it was silent and beautiful in the postcard way, but how was that adding to my life?
Alright, may I ask what it is you think it is that needs to be done to add to life? Or what it is, that's being missed? I'll understand if its indescribable or personal in nature.

PookJP
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 13, 2006, 03:15 PM

Alright, may I ask what it is you think it is that needs to be done to add to life? Or what it is, that's being missed? I'll understand if its indescribable or personal in nature.
Oh crap, that's a really big question. If I were to summarize in a few minutes some things I found added to my life through traveling:

• learning to probe, trust, and act on instincts
• learning that options in life aren't as limited as we often believe
• understanding that goals often function against happiness if they're considered concrete
• enjoying the fruits of uncertainty, and seeking uncertain situations
• favoring decisions to satisfy yourself instead of decisions to satisfy an image
• understanding the divide between personal and practical, and not apologizing for either
• seeing how safe the world is, provided you don't to blatantly foolish things
• getting perspective on the trivialities that consume our lives in Western cultures
• understanding entirely separate systems of success and happiness outside our society

I could go on, but I've gotta go!

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 13, 2006, 03:19 PM

everyone needs a hobby

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

Dakar  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 13, 2006, 03:23 PM

Oh crap, that's a really big question. If I were to summarize in a few minutes some things I found added to my life through traveling:

• learning to probe, trust, and act on instincts
• learning that options in life aren't as limited as we often believe
• understanding that goals often function against happiness if they're considered concrete
• enjoying the fruits of uncertainty, and seeking uncertain situations
• favoring decisions to satisfy yourself instead of decisions to satisfy an image
• understanding the divide between personal and practical, and not apologizing for either
• seeing how safe the world is, provided you don't to blatantly foolish things
• getting perspective on the trivialities that consume our lives in Western cultures
• understanding entirely separate systems of success and happiness outside our society

I could go on, but I've gotta go!
Well it's a nice sized list, so well done.

2, 3, 5, 6, 8, 9 I'm at the very least familiar with.

1 & 7 are pretty much out of the question. I have neither the upbringing nor personality.

That leaves 4. That's such a fine line I don't know what to do with it. All I can say is while safety & security can be monotony and routine, but the adventure and excitement uncertainty brings is overrated (for me).

Dakar  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 13, 2006, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by nredman
everyone needs a hobby
Right. And NBA Live (or Video games in general) are but one facet of The Dakar™

Forum Links
Forum Rules