Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > No complaints on MacBook from Week 30 on?

No complaints on MacBook from Week 30 on?
smileydub
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 24, 2006, 10:08 AM

In the first 2 or 3 months after MacBook was released, many buyers wrote to this forum with brief reviews, and also highlighted problems they had, such as: sudden shut down, bottom heat, moos, whines, mushy mouse button, etc. All these info have been very useful.

Lately, there seems to be no complaints of such problems, especially Shut Downs, with new Macbooks manufactured from Week 30 on. Can it be all these problems have already been resolved? Anyone who bought Macbooks manufactured from Week 30 on care to comment?

You can tell week of manufacture from the serial number. Example: 4H629EMXX5X means it was manufactured in week 29.

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2006, 11:52 AM

I don't think you will be able to tell about the sudden shutdown problem for a couple of months yet. It can take that long for the problem to surface. Perhaps even the fixed Macbooks will have the problem again in two months' time.

I think most of the other problems have been rectified. Heat seems to much lower on the newer models, and no moo either. I think the mouse button thing was just a few cases, I guess that could happen at any time.

The shutdown issue though, it could still raise its ugly head again... mine starting shutting down on wake from sleep and startup a few days ago, after installing the firmware update. Mine's a week 25.

LazyRosy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 24, 2006, 12:38 PM

Mine is a Week 31 and it's been working fine.

spencers
Aug 24, 2006, 01:04 PM

my week 30 is running great!

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2006, 01:57 PM

2 x Week 29's... both running fine
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

Quadra
Aug 24, 2006, 01:57 PM

Returned my week 20 for a week 38. No shutdowns, runs consistantly at 20-25c. No worries

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2006, 06:01 PM

where do you find what week build it is? I am pretty sure mine is a week 30 and it's running just fine. installed 2GB RAM myself too and it runs awesome.

bklam
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 24, 2006, 06:22 PM

Suppositly on your invoice you can find the number. It's a series of number and letters.

how can you have a week 38 when they haven't even built a week 38...

This week is 34...

CleoW
Forum Regular
Aug 25, 2006, 10:28 AM

Week 33 here and no problems yet.:knocks on wood:

wkw88
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 25, 2006, 11:20 AM

try entering your serial number here:
Klantenservice: Serienummers

that site tells you what week your mac was built

LazyRosy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 25, 2006, 12:13 PM

The build week is in the first few characters of your serial number, after "06" (year).

masugu
Senior User
Aug 25, 2006, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by wkw88
try entering your serial number here:
Klantenservice: Serienummers

that site tells you what week your mac was built

I have asked this question before / don't think I got an answer...do we know this site is safe??? Am I being paranoid or is there a problem giving S#'s out,
masugu - "Straight Ahead"
BlacBook Core Duo / Original Intel-based MB - DIY Core i7 PC |

smileydub  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 25, 2006, 12:54 PM

You can tell week of manufacture from the serial number. Example: 4H629EMXX9X means it was manufactured in week 29 in year 2006.

Bobby
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 25, 2006, 01:33 PM

Mine's week 26...

The most annoying thing I experience is the constant need to zap the PRAM on about 65% of my reboots, due to getting a solid black screen instead of the normal boot process. This problem actually didn't surface until after the first time I zapped it...

techtrucker
Senior User
Aug 25, 2006, 07:33 PM

I've got a week 29 MacBook that has been working fine for about a month, not showing any signs of any of the known issues...
MacBook 2.0 160/2GB/SuperDrive
Lots of older Macs

cSurfr
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 25, 2006, 07:43 PM

Week 29 Blackbook here, and it's perfect in every way. That said, I'm much happier than I was with my white 1.83 MacBook.
-How pumped would you be driving home from work, knowing someplace in your house there's a monkey you're gonna battle?

neverskatewsandles
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 25, 2006, 09:02 PM

I just ordered hope mine is flawless!!
2ghz macbook /120gb hd ,1gb ram, superdrive/iwork

Draco
Aug 28, 2006, 06:05 PM

uh huh... 20c, I find that hard to believe.

For the record I have a week 19. No problems since I've had it. Runs in the 55-60c range after the firmware update.

jsnyder
Forum Regular
Aug 28, 2006, 06:26 PM

Week 19, bought it 2 days after the release. Zero problems aside from the slight discoloration (don't really care). Runs cool, no crashes, fast and stable. Honestly, I think people just complain more during the first couple weeks, apple wouldn't be making money if a really significant number of machines had problems. *shrug*
MacBook White 2.0 GHz, SuperDrive, 2 GB RAM, 120GB
-jsnyder

smileydub  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 28, 2006, 08:08 PM

In this thread, nobody complained of those problems encountered in MB manufactured before Week 30. Bobby mentioned the PRAM problem in his Week 26 MB, which didn't seem very prevalent. Can we conclude that the MB after week 30 has reached perfection?

If the Merom does not come out in the MacBook by the end of September, I think I'll just buy the MB with the Yonah. My lingering doubt is whether Merom in MB will have to go through another bout of manufacturing problems like MB with Yonah did.

CleoW
Forum Regular
Aug 28, 2006, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by Draco
uh huh... 20c, I find that hard to believe.
Why? Mines run between 20-30C when only websurfing. (Week 33)

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2006, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by smileydub
In this thread, nobody complained of those problems encountered in MB manufactured before Week 30. Bobby mentioned the PRAM problem in his Week 26 MB, which didn't seem very prevalent. Can we conclude that the MB after week 30 has reached perfection?

If the Merom does not come out in the MacBook by the end of September, I think I'll just buy the MB with the Yonah. My lingering doubt is whether Merom in MB will have to go through another bout of manufacturing problems like MB with Yonah did.
No conclusions can be drawn for week 30 and after, it is too soon. The random shutdown issue is a big problem for Apple, there are literally thousands of people with this issue. Only time will tell whether it has been cured yet. The fact that people are getting repaired 'books that still have the problem indicates that perhaps the new logic boards are still not perfect.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend anyone to get a Macbook at present. The thing is, if they do have this problem the only way to fix it is to send it into Apple. That's obviously a big pain, especially if you don't live in the US. I don't give that advice lightly, I've been a Mac user for over 10 years and have never had a single issue with any Apple product apart from this one.

kapkorn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 29, 2006, 12:56 AM

Mine is a week 20... I had to have the logic board and palm rest replaced but after that it has worked perfectly.
Windows IT guy by day,
Mac\Linux user by night.

My FIRST Mac ever!
Macbook 2.0Ghz 100GB HDD 2GB RAM

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 29, 2006, 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by CleoW
Why? Mines run between 20-30C when only websurfing. (Week 33)
Surface temp maybe.

CPU die temp is certainly higher.

CleoW
Forum Regular
Aug 29, 2006, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Simon
Surface temp maybe.

CPU die temp is certainly higher.
I'm using the Core Duo Temp widget.

Here's a screenshot of it running 34 C with me surfing the web, iTunes, Adium, and TextEdit running.
CoreDuo Temp Widget in the upper left of the screen.
( Last edited by CleoW; Sep 1, 2006 at 09:29 AM. )

ChrisDaMacMan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 29, 2006, 05:10 PM

week 30 and system is GO!!!!!

btbkorn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 29, 2006, 10:07 PM

I've got a week 32 MB with all of the symptoms posted about previously. Random shutdowns, lots of kernel panics, sometimes it wont wake from sleep. I've tried all of the "remedies", but no dice. Its less than 2 weeks old so I'm off to the genius bar tomorrow to see if they'll give me a replacement.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 30, 2006, 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by CleoW
I'm using the Core Duo Temp widget.
Either something's wrong with CDT or with your sensor. There's no way a Core Duo will run at 20C except maybe just after booting in Greenland.

CleoW
Forum Regular
Aug 30, 2006, 10:33 AM

Either something's wrong with CDT or with your sensor. There's no way a Core Duo will run at 20C except maybe just after booting in Greenland.
Is that just your supposition?
13" MacBook Intel Core Duo- 1GB RAM- 80GB HD| 30GB iPod Video| 1GB iPod Nano

eggman
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 30, 2006, 10:34 AM

I get these low readings, too, and I'm in California.

I tend to see the ludicrously low numbers from CDT after my MacBook has slept. Rebooting gives reasonable results. Others have reported the same.

Which, of course, makes me wonder if it's a hardware issue that'll keep my fans from coming on at the appropriate times... but my new (week 33) MacBook seems, by touch, to run no warmer than my old PB 400Mhz G4... so I'm not sweating it.

amavro
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 30, 2006, 05:48 PM

I have the assumption from this forum that macbook after week 33 has much less heat than previous weeks macbooks (even week 31).

Is this true ?

ANTONY

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 30, 2006, 06:38 PM

One of my friends just got a brand new MacBook last Friday and it already has the shutdown issue, so I guess that they haven't fixed it yet. However, the amount of shutdown issues per person seems like it has gone down.

deslock
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 31, 2006, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Quadra
runs consistantly at 20-25c.
Your laptop surface is at 20C-25C? That's only 68F-77F. What's the ambient temp of your room/office?

Anyway, my week 30 MacBook hasn't had any problems.

smileydub  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 31, 2006, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by btbkorn
I've got a week 32 MB with all of the symptoms posted about previously. Random shutdowns, lots of kernel panics, sometimes it wont wake from sleep. I've tried all of the "remedies", but no dice. Its less than 2 weeks old so I'm off to the genius bar tomorrow to see if they'll give me a replacement.

btbkorn - did Apple store give you a replacement?

Check around and you will find that on top of the problems, RSS, Random Shutdown Syndrom is the most serious and persistent problem, even with the latest purchase, indicated by imitchellg5 above.

Read more about it: AppleDefects.com � MacBook Shutdown - Apple Defects, Defective Apple Products, MacBook runs hot, MacBook CPU Whine, iPod Scratches, dead pixels on my iMac

btbkorn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 31, 2006, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by smileydub
btbkorn - did Apple store give you a replacement?

Check around and you will find that on top of the problems, RSS, Random Shutdown Syndrom is the most serious and persistent problem, even with the latest purchase, indicated by imitchellg5 above.

Read more about it: AppleDefects.com � MacBook Shutdown - Apple Defects, Defective Apple Products, MacBook runs hot, MacBook CPU Whine, iPod Scratches, dead pixels on my iMac
They wouldn't replace it for me because I ordered it online and upgraded the memory, which made it a CTO. I sent it in for repair and I'm crossing my fingers that when it comes back it will work properly.

jennielf
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 3, 2006, 06:42 PM

I have a week 33 and I am a bit concerned by the heat thing...
it seems to run much hotter than it should, i mean i know they tend to run hot but i am consistantly getting 75C+ in TCD... im thinking it may need the more thermal paste application?

joe
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2006, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by deslock
Your laptop surface is at 20C-25C? That's only 68F-77F. What's the ambient temp of your room/office?.
For a CPU temp of 77DegF you would need to live in a very cold place. And even then you still wouldn't be able to keep those low cpu temps for very long. Some possible reasons for such unusually low CPU temps:
- the reading was taken immediately after a cold boot and the notebook was at room temp.
- the temp sensor is bad.

Quadra - if your low temp readings were taken after a few minutes of normal use (even web surfing), then you'd be well advised to get your MacBook serviced ASAP. If the sensor thinks your MacBook is cold, it's going to keep the cooling fan off when it needs it most.

dgwd6388
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 4, 2006, 11:05 AM

I have a week 31 white 2ghz macbook and its randomly shutting down

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2006, 12:34 PM

Week 31 running fine

This should have a poll. Perhaps the mods could add one, like over 30 w/ problems and w/o, then under 30 w/ problems and w/o?

houstonmacbro
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 4, 2006, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by cSurfr
Week 29 Blackbook here, and it's perfect in every way. That said, I'm much happier than I was with my white 1.83 MacBook.
what happened to your white macbook?

just a poster
Forum Regular
Sep 4, 2006, 03:25 PM

Week 26 here, black "ultimate" - no problems.

Michael T. Doyle
Forum Regular
Sep 4, 2006, 10:18 PM

Well my previous MacBook was a week 30, and after 30 days it came down with a bad case of RSS. My replacement MacBook is a week 32. We'll see in about 27 more days whether RSS hits this one. But unlike my previous MacBook, what I can already say about this one is that the workmanship on the case (bulging, poorly affixed LCD bevel that makes cracking noises when you open the lid) and the 'Book's ability to keep a WiFi signal both stink.
Mike Doyle
Chicago, IL

houstonmacbro
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 19, 2006, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Michael T. Doyle
Well my previous MacBook was a week 30, and after 30 days it came down with a bad case of RSS. My replacement MacBook is a week 32. We'll see in about 27 more days whether RSS hits this one. But unlike my previous MacBook, what I can already say about this one is that the workmanship on the case (bulging, poorly affixed LCD bevel that makes cracking noises when you open the lid) and the 'Book's ability to keep a WiFi signal both stink.
none of that sounds too appetizing.

smileydub  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 20, 2006, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Michael T. Doyle

Well Michael, care to tell us your experience with the week 32 macbook so far?

pat++
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2006, 04:14 PM

any week 36-37 around?

SLiMeX
Senior User
Sep 20, 2006, 04:42 PM

Week 20 here, and I've got no complaints.
BlacBook | 2.0ghz core duo | 2x320gb | 2gb ram | mba superdrive

Lingurl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 21, 2006, 04:19 AM

All right...I got my MacBook about one month after if first came out and right now I'm having lots of problems. The biggest problem of all with my MacBook right now is that the ethernet socket doesn't work properly meaning sometimes I get internet and sometimes I don't. And that can happen off and on in a course of a day.

My battery has been acting up. One time I charged it all the way and I shut off my computer remembering to remove the charger. And when I came back to turn it back on hours later, it didn't work until I put the charger in. Then it indicated on the laptop that the battery was charging even though I clearly remembered that it was charged before I turn it off. Crazy huh?

Sometimes the MacBook shuts off weird because I shut it off and when I turn it back on later, it says that it wasn't properly shut off (something of that sort) but I remember shuting if off correctly.

Also, I've had troubles turning on the computer, twice. Today I had one of those fun experiences. It took me 5 minutes to get the thing turned on.

Oh one more thing, there are stains on this thing. The guy working at the Apple Store said that it wouldn't so basically he lied to me. My boyfriend asked about the stains before we got the laptops and he said that there weren't any. He also said that he didn't know where my boyfriend got this from some if it can be misleading. In truth, he was the one that was misleading.

So right now, I'm thinking of taking it back to the store to see what they can do but I must say that I'm very disappionted with Apple. I'm a first time user and I thought highly of Apple before this all happened. As a college student you depend on your laptop quite a bit and it's just been one big disappointment for me.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 21, 2006, 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by SLiMeX
Week 20 here, and I've got no complaints.
I would have said exactly the same about my BlackBook until a week ago.

Now it's in for sudden shutdown repair.

bradbissell
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 21, 2006, 08:15 AM

I have a week 35. No RSS. My only issue is that the onboard cpu thermal sensor only reads temps for the first 5 minutes and then gets stuck. Only affects coreduo temp program I have running. Seems to be an Intel errata item, so that should get fixed with a bios update.
Macbook C2D 2.0 Ghz w/ 2GB Ram, 5G 30GB iPod

jsnyder
Forum Regular
Sep 21, 2006, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by jsnyder
Week 19, bought it 2 days after the release. Zero problems aside from the slight discoloration (don't really care). Runs cool, no crashes, fast and stable. Honestly, I think people just complain more during the first couple weeks, apple wouldn't be making money if a really significant number of machines had problems. *shrug*
Still no problems.
MacBook White 2.0 GHz, SuperDrive, 2 GB RAM, 120GB
-jsnyder

Forum Links
Forum Rules