Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Perfect timing: Al-Qaida has been rebuilt!

Perfect timing: Al-Qaida has been rebuilt!
osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 12, 2007, 10:35 AM

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070711/..._terror_threat

I couldn't help but LMAO at this headline, simply because I don't believe it.

All these years, all these dollars, all these deaths, and all of the bush administration's claims that Al Qaida has been squelched and/or moved to Iraq have been complete BS IMO.

Any thoughts? Do you believe this headline? Could it be possible after spending 12 billion a month?

Discuss, and have fun kids.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jul 12, 2007, 10:44 AM

Here's the problem: Even if it were true, the administration would never tell us.

osiris  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 12, 2007, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Dakarʒ View Post
Here's the problem: Even if it were true, the administration would never tell us.
Wouldn't it be to their advantage to tell us - as a means to get more money/support to their cause? (Bush's, that is)

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jul 12, 2007, 10:46 AM

Overall it'd still bean admission of failure. The first question asked would be why should we give them more time and money when 5 years have brought us back to square one.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jul 12, 2007, 10:48 AM

I wonder how much this has to do with what seems like out neglect of Afghanistan. (Assuming its true)

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 12, 2007, 10:50 AM

The US went into Afghanistan with broad international support. They could have focussed there, and done the job (destroyed a genuinely dangerous movement, helped rebuild a troubled nation, made the region safer) instead, they got distracted by settling a score with one of Daddy's rivals, and the wheels came off the whole project.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jul 12, 2007, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
Wouldn't it be to their advantage to tell us - as a means to get more money/support to their cause? (Bush's, that is)
Maybe, but it might also lose them support by showing that what they're doing now just isn't working.

osiris  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 12, 2007, 10:51 AM

Overall it'd still bean admission of failure. The first question asked would be why should we give them more time and money when 5 years have brought us back to square one.
I agree, but the article is attempting to spin this as a means to gain more support for the president's invasion.

I wonder how bush supporters feel about the article.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jul 12, 2007, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by peeb View Post
The US went into Afghanistan with broad international support. They could have focussed there, and done the job (destroyed a genuinely dangerous movement, helped rebuild a troubled nation, made the region safer) instead, they got distracted by settling a score with one of Daddy's rivals, and the wheels came off the whole project.
Yeah, they totally ****ed that up. I was ready to enlist and go to Afghanistan, but I'm not touching the military with a 10 foot cruise missile now.

osiris  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 12, 2007, 10:56 AM

I wonder how much this has to do with what seems like out neglect of Afghanistan. (Assuming its true)
as an aside; I doubt we have neglected anything in Afghanistan - considering the increase in Opium production since we've landed there. http://www.cnn.com/2003/ALLPOLITICS/...eut/index.html

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jul 12, 2007, 10:58 AM

I wonder how bush supporters feel about the article.
I wonder how many war supporters will believe it.

osiris  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 12, 2007, 11:01 AM

I wonder how many war supporters will believe it.
Indeed, but it could be an epiphany.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 12, 2007, 11:13 AM

More scare tactics, probably from Chertoff's "gut feelings." You have to give the Bush administration credit for chutzpah, though. They never give up trying to scare the American people, even after most Americans realize they've been bamboozled.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jul 12, 2007, 12:14 PM

Probably scare tactics and fluff to draw attention away from the failing Iraq policy, Libby's commuted sentence, and the firing of the attorneys.

At least, that's what my guy is telling me.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

black bear theory
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 12, 2007, 03:08 PM

that and pakistan. that is where they seem to be rebuilding their strength. mushareff doesn't seem to be helping us out much (even with all those f-16's we gave him) on this fight - too much domestic pressures for him, and the fact that everybody is trying to take his life.

if we lose mushareff, we lose fly-over privileges and afghanistan becomes isolated. i'm sure china and iran don't want us and nato freely using their airspace.
Earth First! we'll mine the other planets later.

Rumor
Jul 12, 2007, 03:39 PM

If Al-Queida is along the Afganistan/Pakistan border and it is known, then why is our military in Iraq?
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Atheist
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2007, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
If Al-Queida is along the Afganistan/Pakistan border and it is known, then why is our military in Iraq?
I guess it's where all the "evil-doers" are.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 12, 2007, 04:04 PM

Erm? Not much oil in Afghanistan?

Powerbook
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2007, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by peeb View Post
The US went into Afghanistan with broad international support. They could have focussed there, and done the job (destroyed a genuinely dangerous movement, helped rebuild a troubled nation, made the region safer)...
Dude, that stuff is for faggots. Following a consistent and coherent path with your allies? Bah.
Who wants to hunt down the No.1 terrorist symbol, when you can democratersize whole countries?!

"I don't know where bin Laden is. I have no idea and really don't care. It's not that important. It's not our priority."
- G.W. Bush, 3/13/02

PB.
Aut Caesar aut nihil.

itistoday
Professional Poster
Jul 12, 2007, 08:18 PM

Wow. I have a question for you, why does it matter what the Bush administration has to say on this topic? You know that there's a 99% chance that whatever they have to say about it is going to be complete BS, even if they honestly believe it, just like the "we must invade Iraq, it has WMDs", and "Mission accomplished" statements.

It seems to me that the sources cited in the article are far more credible, you know, they actually deal with the issues first hand, the White House just relays the news after severely distorting it.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 12, 2007, 08:23 PM

I don't think this report is unbelievable at all. Just from following the news reports, it seems that Al Qaida has changed it's operation, basically franchising local groups and cells and bringing them under the "Al Qaida umbrella". They may have taken a hit to their operational structure, but it seems they've found a new way of doing business by outsourcing.

It's actually pretty smart on their part, and that adaptability is kind of scary. If they staunchly stayed with their original operational model, it would make it easier to break the organization as a whole (not that I think or thought that we were going about breaking the original network in any kind of effective manner- my solution probably would have made even the non-PC types cringe. But I have a low tolerance for bull****, poor impulse control and an unshakable belief that Friar William of Ockham's beautiful razor theory is the be all and end all. In short; I'm a very practical man. But I digress...). Now we're looking at network of affiliated groups receiving training, financial and/or logistical support from a core group, while being able to operate independently from the core group. Honestly, I think this operational model has the potential to be far more dangerous than what we've dealt with previously. I hope that's not the case.

Anyway, I think a serious change of tactics is needed, as all we've really accomplished thus far is restructuring the most ambitious terrorist organization out there, while simultaneously setting our own population at each others throats as to how things have/are/will be handled. I really and truly hope whoever ends up in the Whitehouse next has some brilliant and workable ideas. Unfortunately, from what I've read about our illustrious candidates, I'm not gonna be holding my breath on that one.
Nemo me impune lacesset

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jul 12, 2007, 08:35 PM

Divide and conquer. If the tourist insurgents are going to Iraq, they can't be going to Afghanistan. Spreads 'em thin.

Which is why AQ is opting for a bit of outsourcing.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

itistoday
Professional Poster
Jul 12, 2007, 08:39 PM

"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent."

tie
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2007, 02:48 PM

Of course Doofy, you don't realize that Al Qaeda in Mesopotamia consists mostly of Iraqis and didn't even exist before the 9/11. It has grown up because of our invasion. So:
1. Fighting Al Qaeda in Iraq has nothing to do with Al Qaeda's international organization and doesn't do anything to prevent terrorism here,
2. The Iraq war has been great for Al Qaeda recruiting and has helped it grow tremendously.

Your "divide and conquer" between Iraq and Afghanistan rationale is typically insane.
The 4 o'clock train will be a bus.
It will depart at 20 minutes to 5.

Powerbook
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2007, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by itistoday View Post
"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent."
Unless, of course, your business _is_ violence.

PB.
Aut Caesar aut nihil.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2007, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Divide and conquer. If the tourist insurgents are going to Iraq, they can't be going to Afghanistan. Spreads 'em thin.
They weren't thin enough for us to handle in Afghanistan?

tie
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2007, 04:18 PM

Maybe he means spreads us thin?

I don't think Doofy is an American. He isn't the one spending >$350,000 every minute in Iraq.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 13, 2007, 04:40 PM

He's British. Of course, he fails to point out that it is the crusaders who are spread thin. Their presence is generating more resistance from the local populace.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jul 13, 2007, 05:43 PM

Thank you for outing yourself, peeb. Only a terrorist sympathizer would call American forces crusaders.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 13, 2007, 05:49 PM

George W Bush warned Americans that "this crusade, this war on terrorism, is going to take awhile."

Lol! Only a crusader would call what the US is doing in Iraq anything but terrorism.
( Last edited by peeb; Jul 13, 2007 at 06:21 PM. )

tie
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2007, 06:59 PM

Big Mac: Are you saying George Bush is a terrorist sympathizer?

LOL. That argument -- calling everyone who disagrees with you a terrorist -- is a pretty tired one. Especially given its record. (The people like you who go around calling everyone else a terrorist are the same ones who support policies that hurt the US and help Al Qaeda. Coincidence?)

riley46
Jul 13, 2007, 11:08 PM

Al-Qaida has rebuilt, U.S. intel warns - Yahoo! News

I couldn't help but LMAO at this headline, simply because I don't believe it.

All these years, all these dollars, all these deaths, and all of the bush administration's claims that Al Qaida has been squelched and/or moved to Iraq have been complete BS IMO.

Any thoughts? Do you believe this headline? Could it be possible after spending 12 billion a month?

Discuss, and have fun kids.
I think this is just a ploy to make people aware of the threat and in order for us not to be complacent. Remember before 9/11. There were already reports that Al Queda was preparing a serious attack on American soil and all these were ignored.

CreepDogg
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2007, 01:01 AM

I'm really scared with all this new terrorist talk. I think we should give the administration whatever they think they need to smoke 'em out. It's better that we fight them over there so we don't have to fight them over here. But if they want a fight, bring 'em on!

Now excuse me while I go back and hide in my 1955 bomb shelter.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jul 14, 2007, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by tie View Post
Maybe he means spreads us thin?

I don't think Doofy is an American. He isn't the one spending >$350,000 every minute in Iraq.
You realise that the vast majority of that money is going back into the US economy, right?

Because, you know, the US soldiers don't get their bullets from Abdul's Bullet Emporium on Baghdad High Street.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

tie
Professional Poster
Jul 14, 2007, 05:50 PM

Doofy, what's your point?

We're borrowing money from China to buy bombs and bullets, for a war that is fostering the growth of terrorism. That's a damn stupid use of our money. Instead of wasting the money, we could be investing it in roads and infrastructure, or in education, for example. We could spend it on security measures, like securing our ports. We could give everyone healthcare (which I don't support, but it would be cheaper and a better use for our money than this war). You don't think we have better uses for our money?

Or, even better, we could cut taxes. My own share would be a couple thousand dollars a year. You don't think I have better uses for my money?

tie
Professional Poster
Jul 25, 2007, 03:24 AM

... And Doofy disappears to start two more threads. Why am I not surprised?

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 25, 2007, 12:15 PM

We're borrowing money from China to buy bombs and bullets, for a war that is fostering the growth of terrorism. That's a damn stupid use of our money.
It would be, unless you had people at the top who had massive interests in the defense industry. Wait a minute....

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 25, 2007, 12:17 PM

We're borrowing money from China to buy bombs and bullets, for a war that is fostering the growth of terrorism. That's a damn stupid use of our money.
It would be, unless you had people at the top who had massive interests in the defense industry. Hey! Wait a minute....

Helmling
Mac Elite
Jul 25, 2007, 12:56 PM

I feel compelled to point out that the focus of this article is Pakistan--not Iraq.

But I thought fighting in Iraq would draw them to us there so we could kill them? Isn't that one of the absurd rationalizations for the Iraq war?

How deeply we have screwed this particular pooch is quite disturbing.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 25, 2007, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Helmling View Post
What a disturbing visual. Quite appropriate though.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Jul 25, 2007, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
You realise that the vast majority of that money is going back into the US economy, right?

Because, you know, the US soldiers don't get their bullets from Abdul's Bullet Emporium on Baghdad High Street.
That may be, but we're mortgaging the country to the Chinese in order to buy all those bullets. Even Spliffdaddy can tell you that debt is bad!

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jul 25, 2007, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Helmling View Post
I think it's more along the lines of fisting up to the elbow.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Forum Links
Forum Rules