Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Blackberry Curve or T-Mobile G1

View Poll Results: Blackberry Curve vs. T-Mobile G1
Poll Options:
Blackberry Curve 2 votes (50.00%)
T-Mobile G1 2 votes (50.00%)
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll
Blackberry Curve or T-Mobile G1
mike868y
Nov 28, 2008, 05:32 PM

Hey everyone, I'm getting a new phone soon and have narrowed my choices down to 2 options. 1) Blackberry Curve or 2)T-Mobile G1. Both will be on T-Mobile (cheap data plans). The iPhone is not an option, the plans are too expensive for me, and it is becoming more and more like the new razr (everyone has one). Plus, I already have an ipod touch. So, which ones would you guys choose? I tried the G1 out at the T-Mobile store and really liked it. It seemed fast and the interface is pretty (compared to a bb). The rep at the store had a personal one and LOVED it. So, I am down to a tough decision. I'm a teen, so business features (exchange) aren't important to me, although email, txting, media, and 3rd party apps are very important. I don't actually talk that much, so call quality would be a second concern. Also, the G1 is 3g which I assume would make a big difference. Thanks for the help/recommendations.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Nov 28, 2008, 05:49 PM

Sell the iPod touch and get an iPhone. Easy choice - price is no longer an issue and you didn't seem to care that "everyone else" already had an iPod when you bought one of those, so this really shouldn't be a problem.

mike868y  (op)
Nov 28, 2008, 05:53 PM

Its not the price of the device that is keeping me from the iphone but the the price of the service. iPhone=$70 a month, unlimited data, no texts, 400 minutes. T-Mobile=$65 a month, unlimited texts, data, and 300 minutes (more than enough for me). The texting makes a huge difference for me, and the iPhone texting plans are like $20 extra for unlimited!

Cold Warrior
Nov 28, 2008, 06:03 PM

Moved to consumer hardware.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Nov 28, 2008, 06:18 PM

Yep, I'm with Laminar. Sell the touch and get an iPhone. Pay the extra $5 for text messages and consider the $10/month extra the cost of having a really nice device. The G1 or the Curve don't hold a candle to the iPhone.

mike868y  (op)
Nov 28, 2008, 10:47 PM

I really do not want an iphone. My iPod touch provides me with all the apple multi-touch experience I need, while I love it, I want something different for my cell phone life. In addition, I absolutely REFUSE to pay $90 a month for essentially the same service I can get for$65 on T-Mobile. You guys may be able to justify it, but I just cannot. Also, I will be traveling to Greece and Italy in April, and I believe i would be able to use the curve over there with a prepaid sim, and that is a huge selling feature for me.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 29, 2008, 01:42 PM

Wouldn't both the G1 and the BB be locked in to T-Mobile ? How could you use a local prepaid sim ?

-t

dimmer
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 29, 2008, 04:29 PM

The rep at the store had a personal one and LOVED it.
Err, yeah. Hardly an independent viewpoint.

So you'd rather heft around two devices when one would suffice? Two power supplies? Seems a little... odd. Also, keep in mind that this is a Apple oriented site: you'd probably get "better" advice somewhere with a focus on mobile phones (and also check out the user ratings at Amazon.) Best of luck!

gradient
Mac Elite
Nov 29, 2008, 04:44 PM

The OP clearly stated that he didn't want an iPhone right off the top of the thread. I can't personally make a comment on either of the options he's looking at but trying to convince him to buy something he already said he doesn't want seems fairly unproductive.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Nov 29, 2008, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by mike868y View Post
Also, I will be traveling to Greece and Italy in April, and I believe i would be able to use the curve over there with a prepaid sim, and that is a huge selling feature for me.
Hardly. It will be locked to T-Mobile, unfortunately you can't just pop in a third party sim.
I will echo everybody's opinion and say that you're making a mistake not going for the iPhone. Nothing is as good at the moment.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Nov 30, 2008, 04:52 AM

Here's another thought. Why don't you go for a really cheap phone? You said you have a touch for everything else but you want a phone for calls and messaging. So get just that. And by getting a simple phone you can also make sure you get something w/o any kind of ties to a carrier. When you're in Europe, you just pop in any other SIM card and you'll be fine.

rjt1000
Senior User
Nov 30, 2008, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Phileas View Post
Hardly. It will be locked to T-Mobile, unfortunately you can't just pop in a third party sim.
I will echo everybody's opinion and say that you're making a mistake not going for the iPhone. Nothing is as good at the moment.
T-mobile (the company itself, not the individual retailers) have indeed been willing to unlock my phones, usually requiring you to have it for 6 months, but at least in my case, unlocking one sooner because of my need to travel overseas to a country where they dont offer roaming service. I believe they will also only unlock one phone for you per time period (which I think was 1 year). Call customer service and get the exact details. Good luck.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 30, 2008, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by rjt1000 View Post
T-mobile (the company itself, not the individual retailers) have indeed been willing to unlock my phones, usually requiring you to have it for 6 months, but at least in my case, unlocking one sooner because of my need to travel overseas to a country where they dont offer roaming service. I believe they will also only unlock one phone for you per time period (which I think was 1 year). Call customer service and get the exact details. Good luck.
T-Mobile DOES have roaming in Italy and Greece. What are you talking about ?

-t

rjt1000
Senior User
Nov 30, 2008, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
T-Mobile DOES have roaming in Italy and Greece. What are you talking about ?

-t
T-mobile WILL unlock their phones. I have had 4 different phones unlocked by them over the years.

Just call customer service and tell them that you are an international traveler and want to be able to use your phone in counties where they do not have roaming. (Check the list and pick out some countries where they do not have roaming, that some day you might want to travel to.)

They will ask for the details of your phone (such as the brand, model and IMEI number) and then they will send you the unlocking code and instructions free by email.

Last time I unlocked a t-mobile phone (June 2008) the limitations were only the length of time you have had the phone (6 months I think) and how often you have unlocked one of their phones (1 per year I think). I believe most phones can be unlocked by them this way, although there could be exceptions. The original poster should check with t-mobile customer service to verify the current specifics.

You could also pay to have your phone unlocked, if you prefer. There are many services available. Search google or ebay.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 1, 2008, 01:44 AM

For the OP, the 6 month lock-in period would NOT apply if he'd purchase it NOW, and wanted it unlocked in April.

Fair enough, he might be lucky to have them do it anyways, but there's no guarantee.

-t

BasketofPuppies
Professional Poster
Dec 1, 2008, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Sell the iPod touch and get an iPhone. Easy choice - price is no longer an issue and you didn't seem to care that "everyone else" already had an iPod when you bought one of those, so this really shouldn't be a problem.
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Sell the touch and get an iPhone. Pay the extra $5 for text messages and consider the $10/month extra the cost of having a really nice device. The G1 or the Curve don't hold a candle to the iPhone.
Originally Posted by dimmer View Post
So you'd rather heft around two devices when one would suffice? Two power supplies? Seems a little... odd.
Wow, is there ever groupthink here.

If you're getting a phone now, and international roaming fees are not an issue for you, I say go with the Curve. BlackBerry is a mature, well designed operating system, and the phones do pretty much anything you would want or need to do with a phone. Google's Android operating system shows potential, but it is missing a few key features, and reviews and reports from around the Web say that kinks need to be worked out in Android and the G1 phone itself.

If international roaming fees are an issue, follow Simon's advice and buy some cheap, unlocked, quad band phone and insert whatever pre-paid SIM card saves you money in whatever country you're in at the time.
( Last edited by BasketofPuppies; Dec 1, 2008 at 02:50 PM. )
inscrutable impenetrable impregnable inconceivable

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2008, 05:24 AM

As long as you don't get the Storm… 

Anyhow, there are unlock services that would let you use your next phone here in Europe, my Cingular BlackBerry works great with my carrier Orange.

Ted L. Nancy
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 2, 2008, 10:06 AM

Do you go to Europe often? I don't see the prudence in selecting a phone and plan based on one future trip overseas.

Also, are email and other internet features really that important to you that you need a smartphone with a data plan? What I am getting at is, you already have a Touch, so you're covered so long as you are near wifi. You ought to think this through to see if you really need a data plan at all if you're not getting an iPhone. For me, no smartphone was worth it until the iPhone arrived. I found that Blackberries and other smartphones did not simplify my life, so I used my free RAZR until the iPhone 3g was announced. I mean, we all survived just great in 2001 without smartphones, so why not today? Consider getting a cheapo phone to serve one purpose: a phone.

Also, depending on how many of your friends have email on their phones, you may find unlimited texting unnecessary if you had an iPhone. I often email in place of texting.

If you are already a T-mobile customer, you may not want to limit yourself to a choice between the two phones you've listed above. T-mobile could offer you one for free, but which one is up to them. I know when I went I to get my iPhones, I naturally called T-mobile to cancel my services with them. They asked me why, and when I told them I was getting two iPhones with ATT, they offered me 1/2 off my monthly bill and two free T-Mobile Wings. I knew they had made offers like this in the past when the iPhone first came out, I just didn't realize they were STILL doing it. (Not a bad upgrade for a guy who had been using a razr for 3+ years!)

If I had to pick between the 2, go with the Google. One less Blackberry can only be a good thing. By the way, I didn't vote in the poll.
10.7.1 on Mac Pro 8x2.8

mike868y  (op)
Dec 2, 2008, 09:24 PM

The problem is, when traveling I am almost never near wifi. The touch is great while inside a house, but when traveling, or driving from place to place, I would really like to have an internet connection. I don't NEED it per say, but I would like it, and because of TMobile's cheap data plans I can pay the same per month that I am on verizon, but get data everywhere, which I see is a win win situation. Also, Ted Nancy, your solution of replacing texting with emailing is impossible without a data plan. How would I have instant emailing with my friends without a data plan? I just think that the convenience of a data plan would be great, and I am incredibly sick of using the same crappy free phones that barely make a call. I want a better experience.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Dec 3, 2008, 03:47 AM

That reasoning is fine. You just have to keep in mind that that kind of flexibility is expensive. Unlimited 3G costs a lot of money. If you just want it for fun you better not be on a budget.

Ted L. Nancy
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 3, 2008, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by mike868y View Post
Also, Ted Nancy, your solution of replacing texting with emailing is impossible without a data plan. How would I have instant emailing with my friends without a data plan? I just think that the convenience of a data plan would be great, and I am incredibly sick of using the same crappy free phones that barely make a call. I want a better experience.
I was trying to convince you to go with the iPhone, just more subtly than the others doing the same.

As Simon has alluded, I don't think you'll be saving that much since you want a 3g plan no matter what, and especially since you could sell your Touch to help pay for the iPhone, but if you've convinced yourself "NO IPHONE!!!" then, like I said, go with the Google.
10.7.1 on Mac Pro 8x2.8

BasketofPuppies
Professional Poster
Dec 4, 2008, 12:54 PM

I strongly recommend against getting a G1. Battery life is terrible. An employee at a local T-Mobile store outright said that when I asked about it, and reviews and reports on the Web confirm this.

Unless you don't mind re-charging your phone's battery twice a day.

This will probably change. From what I understand, the G1's weak battery life has a lot to do with incomplete power management in the Android operating system, but you're buying a phone for what it can do now, not what it might be able to do in the future.

Also, have you considered a Sidekick? It sounds like one of those would fit your needs as well as a BlackBerry or G1.
( Last edited by BasketofPuppies; Dec 4, 2008 at 01:09 PM. )
inscrutable impenetrable impregnable inconceivable

mike868y  (op)
Dec 5, 2008, 04:09 PM

BasketofPuppies,
I have considered a sidekick, my neighbor has one and loves it. I like it, but the blackberry is cheaper and the data plan is the same price, and truthfully I like the curve better and there is a lot more software available for it.

Simon,
right now I'm on a verizon family plan with my mom (I'm 16). We get 750 minutes, which is more than enough for us to, but pay more than $100 a month w/ txting. So, If I get the t-mobile unlimited data/messaging + 300 minutes, it is $65 a month, and my mom is going to get a $40 verizon talk only plan. Same amount per month, for the same price

thechidz
Forum Regular
Dec 8, 2008, 07:03 AM

the G1 is unlockable. They look pretty cool. I saw one the other day and the girl that had it said it froze up a lot on her though
Bow chicka bow-wow

Simon
Posting Junkie
Dec 8, 2008, 08:30 AM

You can buy an 'officially' unlocked G1 in the US now for $400.

thechidz
Forum Regular
Dec 8, 2008, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
You can buy an 'officially' unlocked G1 in the US now for $400.
ive seen them go used on ebay for 350 plus 30% off cashback
Bow chicka bow-wow

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Dec 9, 2008, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by BasketofPuppies View Post
Wow, is there ever groupthink here.
If two people were to agree with your post, does that suddenly make you guilty of "groupthink" as well? Or are you just proud that you're not following the crowd?

The OP does have a valid point with regards to cost - the iPhone may be the best way to get mobile internet, but it's certainly not the cheapest.

Forum Links
Forum Rules