Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > New Phishing Email Targets MobileMe-iCloud Transition

New Phishing Email Targets MobileMe-iCloud Transition
Andy8
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2011, 12:06 PM

Saw this over on Macrumors:

New Phishing Email Targets MobileMe-iCloud Transition - MacRumors.com

A number of MacRumors readers have reported today receiving a phishing email designed to look like a notice from Apple asking users to upgrade their MobileMe accounts to iCloud. The email is patterned after one sent to MobileMe members in early June just after Apple introduced iCloud at its Worldwide Developers Conference.

Dear MobileMe member,

Please sign up for iCloud and click the submit botton, you'll be able to keep your old
email address and move your mail, contacts, calendars, and bookmarks to the new service.

Your subscription will be automatically extended through July 31, 2012, at no additional charge.

After that date, MobileMe will no longer be available.

Click here to update iCLOUD

Sincerely,

The Apple store Team

Clicking on the included link to update to "iCLOUD" takes users to a page mimicking portions of Apple's page for updating account billing information, asking users to enter their credit card, address, and Apple Store account details.

Phishing emails riding on Apple's popularity are nothing new, with scammers attempting to prey on users' excitement for such products as the iPhone 5. This latest phishing email targeting MobileMe and iCloud is not a particularly sophisticated one, but it appears to be a widespread effort given the number of reports we've received about it in just the last few hours.

andi*pandi
Aug 26, 2011, 12:19 PM

thanks for the alert. I haven't gotten anything like that myself yet.

Thorzdad
Aug 26, 2011, 01:19 PM

I, myself, never had a MobileMe account, but my wife's small office made extensive use of theirs. I'll pass this on to them. Thanks for the alert.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 26, 2011, 02:21 PM

Is there not one single English-literate person out there with standards low enough to proofread phishing emails before they're sent out?

Thorzdad
Aug 26, 2011, 03:17 PM

Given the general literacy many English-native speakers, I doubt many would notice anyway.
FWIW, I've seen worse on actual, made-in-the-U-S-of-A corporate correspondence. Apparently, a C-level title does not require the ability to pass a 5th grade spelling bee.

Ham Sandwich
Aug 28, 2011, 12:39 PM

Not for us to worry, "MacRumors readers" is kind of an oxymoron, no?

I'd happily send over some ficticious credit card info and satanic home addresses to the phishing pricks. Hey one time some idiot Chase phisher over at team614robotics had their entire phishing directory (original files and folders) publicly accessable. I could see all the original code (and he conveniently had all the files uploaded as a .zip), so I reported the entire directory over to Chase and shut the bastard down. The pages have been removed since then, yet the robotics site still exists....

Forum Links
Forum Rules