Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Omfg!

Omfg!
phantomdragonz
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2004, 02:20 AM

So, I appologise for the nature of this,... but i have to share with someone...

Today I got to do something i have dreamed of for a long time... I got to drive a WRX. I have always heard of people getting that "turned on" sensation from driving a fast car, I never really understood it, but today I understand what that is all about. the feeling you get when the turbo kicks in and it pushes you back in the seat... and that feeling you get as you realize that you are going 100 (On a deserted straight road, with your brights on, for like maybe 10secs) I was shaking... I dont know how to describe it, it like that post sex feeling... I wonder what the WRX STi would be like??? I also learned what sucks about turbo cars... TURBO LAG!! but still... then it gets around 4 grand and kicks in... ohh... my god...

yeup... tonight was fun (I only drove for about 10-15 mins after I got out of work at 11pm)

I want a WRX!

Thank you all for hearing me rant about tonight... I have no one else to talk/ express my feeling to... they are all asleep

P.D.

Link
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2004, 02:32 AM

Maybe it was the leather seats that helped
Aloha

phantomdragonz  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2004, 02:33 AM

they were not leather

P.D

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jun 12, 2004, 02:45 AM

yah, it's nice to drive well engineered + fast cars...

until you have to fuel them up

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 12, 2004, 03:07 AM

Erm... "going 100" - that would be 100 MpH, right? That is, about 170 km/h, right? But... that's not so very fast... That's how my dad drives to and from work (highway only, of course)... Have I got some measurements messed up?

Um, yeah, besides that... uhh, congratulations, I guess... I've never had the need for speed much, although I like sleeping at high speeds (cars, trains, planes, whatever)...

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jun 12, 2004, 03:10 AM

Originally posted by Ois�n:
Erm... "going 100" - that would be 100 MpH, right? That is, about 170 km/h, right? But... that's not so very fast... That's how my dad drives to and from work (highway only, of course)... Have I got some measurements messed up?

Um, yeah, besides that... uhh, congratulations, I guess... I've never had the need for speed much, although I like sleeping at high speeds (cars, trains, planes, whatever)...
Now that I'm getting a little older (late 20's) anything over 70 and "YOU'RE DRIVING LIKE A CRAZY PERSON" mumble mumble... young whippersnappers.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 12, 2004, 03:14 AM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
Now that I'm getting a little older (late 20's) anything over 70 and "YOU'RE DRIVING LIKE A CRAZY PERSON" mumble mumble... young whippersnappers.
Hey, I don't even drive, it's my dad (who's nearing 50*) that's doing it...

*Oh shit! My dad is nearing 50!!!

phantomdragonz  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2004, 03:19 AM

the thing that I enjoyed most was the handling and the pickup... it was quick and responsive... I would have ventured up into the mountain roads, but it was not my car, and I did not want to do that with a car i have only driven for a short time... I know the limits on my car, I have no real idea with the WRX... plus it was 11 o clock at night... so mountain roads would have a good chance of animals in them... just for your knowledge the mountains are about 10 minutes away from me..

P.D.

RiSE
Forum Regular
Jun 12, 2004, 03:25 AM

You should try driving a NON-turbo fast car, its even more fun, esp the smaller ones. Its quick from the get go. Also if you REALLY want to have some fun. Find someobody with a aftermartker supercharger (mostly integrea and hondas) Its got the power of a turbo but right off the line. My freind had a sc'ed GSR and it made me sick being in the passenger seat.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2004, 06:28 AM

Lol @ Phantondragonz!

I had the same feeling when I drove an E55 AMG Mercedes for the first time...

Cool cars, but the only problem I have with Scoobys and Evos and things is that they flatter you too much. You don't have to 'earn' anything...

Drive a big engined naturally aspirated rear wheel drive machine... it is the same rush but doubled!

entrox
Senior User
Jun 12, 2004, 07:11 AM

Originally posted by The Placid Casual:
... E55 AMG Mercedes ...

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 12, 2004, 09:30 AM

where's ca$h?

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 12, 2004, 09:38 AM

My friend once worked at a Jaguar dealer and I got to drive on the highway...ooo la la!
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 12, 2004, 09:51 AM

new jags are ****, they have no character, anything post ford should be burnt. Gimme a Mrk IX anyday.
( Last edited by G4ME; Jun 12, 2004 at 09:56 AM. )

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

velodev
Senior User
Jun 12, 2004, 09:53 AM

Originally posted by phantomdragonz:
the thing that I enjoyed most was the handling and the pickup... it was quick and responsive... I would have ventured up into the mountain roads, but it was not my car, and I did not want to do that with a car i have only driven for a short time... I know the limits on my car, I have no real idea with the WRX... plus it was 11 o clock at night... so mountain roads would have a good chance of animals in them... just for your knowledge the mountains are about 10 minutes away from me..

P.D.
I wonder how you would react when you get a chance to sit in an M5 or an RS6.

I have for both... and... well... the WRX is really spunky but the M5 and RS6 would leave you dirty. Even hearing the refined exhaust would let you know the rides begins now.

I know Ca$h posted about the Hemi and that's just pure raw power. M5 and RS6 are in different categories.

velodev
Senior User
Jun 12, 2004, 09:56 AM

E55 AMG Mercedes

I've owned Mercedes... it's the softest thing to come out of Germany. Read my post above.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2004, 10:40 AM

Originally posted by velodev:

I've owned Mercedes... it's the softest thing to come out of Germany. Read my post above.
I have owned them too, and they can be soft, but if you think a E55 AMG is boring, fine... 476 bhp, 516 lb ft torque, 271 bhp per ton pretty much always does it for me even though it does feel like a dragster sometimes and doesn't corner that well...

As for the RS6, I was in one last week, and I literally am aching to own one. Especially one of the new 'evo' models... However the steering is still really dull and lifeless. I like to know what is happening at the front end of the car, not have to use telepathy.

As for M5s, hmmm, I still think the best is the E34 is the best of the bunch for being just so fluid and organic... Maybe the next V10 model will finally beat it in my mind.

For me, you can't beat TVR for sheer enjoyment behind the wheel:

Typhon, Cerbera, Tuscan, Chimera, T340R... I'll take any one of them over 4wd rally reps, souped up big saloons or shoe box Caterham 7's.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jun 12, 2004, 10:44 AM

I've only driven crap cars and a porche 911 turbo.

It was so smooth... one of the only cars where I could keep pushing on the gas and it could handle it. It was my only experience where I was the limiting factor on how fast I could go.

Zimphire
Baninated
Jun 12, 2004, 12:17 PM

Originally posted by Ois�n:
It's not about how FAST you are going, it's how long it took you to get to that speed.

velodev
Senior User
Jun 12, 2004, 12:40 PM

For me, you can't beat TVR for sheer enjoyment behind the wheel:

Typhon, Cerbera, Tuscan, Chimera, T340R... I'll take any one of them over 4wd rally reps, souped up big saloons or shoe box Caterham 7's.
Ok, now you're talking... here's my contri:

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 12, 2004, 01:03 PM

BELCH

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2004, 02:37 PM

Ok, now you're talking... here's my contri:

An aficionado!

Awesome car! Have you heard about the new upgrades to the Vantage, the 'Dynamic Pack'? Better brakes, handling and interior, with a new 525bhp upgrade coming in 2 months too... A very, very sweet car. If only they would make it in a manual transmission!

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2004, 02:48 PM

I never understood what people like about those Subarus and Evos. Well, as a rally car yes, they're awesome. But as a road car ? No thank you. They are extremely ugly, offer no comfort have plastic interiors and their turbocharged 4-cylinders drink too much. Now a sub-zero Aston DB9, that's something I'll take anyday. Coolest car on this planet at the moment.

velodev
Senior User
Jun 12, 2004, 02:58 PM

Originally posted by Powaqqatsi:
Now a sub-zero Aston DB9, that's something I'll take anyday. Coolest car on this planet at the moment.
They make grown men cry...

Linky (Jpeg Orgy)

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2004, 03:35 PM

TVR's are cool. The new Sagaris is pretty aggressive looking, even for a TVR. As they said on Top Gear:
"It's the first car to be designed by an axe murderer"

It's basically a motorsport version of the T350, with a 400bhp TVR 4.0 straight six engine

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

george68
Banned
Jun 12, 2004, 03:37 PM

Originally posted by phantomdragonz:
So, I appologise for the nature of this,... but i have to share with someone...

Today I got to do something i have dreamed of for a long time... I got to drive a WRX. I have always heard of people getting that "turned on" sensation from driving a fast car, I never really understood it, but today I understand what that is all about. the feeling you get when the turbo kicks in and it pushes you back in the seat... and that feeling you get as you realize that you are going 100 (On a deserted straight road, with your brights on, for like maybe 10secs) I was shaking... I dont know how to describe it, it like that post sex feeling... I wonder what the WRX STi would be like??? I also learned what sucks about turbo cars... TURBO LAG!! but still... then it gets around 4 grand and kicks in... ohh... my god...

yeup... tonight was fun (I only drove for about 10-15 mins after I got out of work at 11pm)

I want a WRX!

Thank you all for hearing me rant about tonight... I have no one else to talk/ express my feeling to... they are all asleep

P.D.
If you can't afford a WRX, look for a well maintainted SVX like me. They have 230 NATURALLY ASPIRATED hp, so no lag whatsoever. Sounds prettier than a 4 banger also. The bad thing is they only come in automatic, but... still. At higher speeds, a SVX will destroy a WRX. 60-120 goes pretty quick. Heck... for 10 grand you could get a low mileage SVX and have it converted to a WRX 5spd. WRX's have too many doors anyway.

- Rob

velodev
Senior User
Jun 12, 2004, 03:46 PM

Originally posted by ajprice:
TVR's are cool. The new Sagaris is pretty aggressive looking, even for a TVR.
TVR's are very nice. I was always under the impression we will never see them in America and legally we shouldn't.

Until two years ago some madman brought his Tuscan or Tuscan S over for the Gumball Rally.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2004, 06:01 PM

TVR's are very nice. I was always under the impression we will never see them in America and legally we shouldn't.

Until two years ago some madman brought his Tuscan or Tuscan S over for the Gumball Rally.
There is talk of a dealer network being developed, so it may be sooner than you think!

They really are a force of nature, and if they do hit the US, will be well worth the wait...

Incidentally, they just released the specs of the Typhon, their newest model that is going to cost about �85k...

580 bhp @ 7000 rpm
467 lb at 5000 rpm
1110kg giving it 530 bhp per ton. (the Enzo has 484, and the Carrera Gt 445!)

I really think it will be an Enzo killer... all for 1/4 of the cash

george68
Banned
Jun 29, 2004, 10:01 PM

An aficionado!

Awesome car! Have you heard about the new upgrades to the Vantage, the 'Dynamic Pack'? Better brakes, handling and interior, with a new 525bhp upgrade coming in 2 months too... A very, very sweet car. If only they would make it in a manual transmission!
Who ****ing cares? Only like 1% of the population could ever afford it, so really who gives a ****?

- Rob

KrazyEvilGoat
Banned
Jun 29, 2004, 10:25 PM

If ca$h says another word about how his freaking SVX is the greatest piece of **** ever I will hunt him down an slash those purty little tires of his.. grr.

He was like this with the neon too.

wolfen
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2004, 10:34 PM

Originally posted by KrazyEvilGoat:
If ca$h says another word about how his freaking SVX is the greatest piece of **** ever I will hunt him down an slash those purty little tires of his.. grr.

Can't wait 'til he goes official and gets the doublewide.

"And my house can go faster'n your house! How you gonna move that big fancy house? Huh? You can't! Hah! But I just put that there doublewide up on the trailer and I'm doin' at least 30mph! Beat that!"
Do you want forgiveness or respect?

Zimphire
Baninated
Jun 29, 2004, 10:37 PM

But unlike the SVX, His Neon was actually "fast"

Just joking cash.

george68
Banned
Jun 29, 2004, 11:18 PM

I've never said that. But I don't know why you guys refer to each other as 'aficiandos' when referring to the ****ing billion dollar aston martin vanquish, when in real life most of you probably drive completely pussy cars like accords and camrys. Aficiando my ****ing ass.

- Rob

george68
Banned
Jun 29, 2004, 11:19 PM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
But unlike the SVX, His Neon was actually "fast"
The neon was faster than my SVX to 60mph. It also handled better at low speeds. The SVX is the opposite, though the new suspension improved everything quite a bit.

- Rob

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2004, 04:12 AM

Originally posted by george68:
I've never said that. But I don't know why you guys refer to each other as 'aficiandos' when referring to the ****ing billion dollar aston martin vanquish, when in real life most of you probably drive completely pussy cars like accords and camrys. Aficiando my ****ing ass.

- Rob
DB9

I drive an Merc E-class, but that's probably a pussy car...

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 30, 2004, 05:10 AM

Originally posted by george68:
Who ****ing cares? Only like 1% of the population could ever afford it, so really who gives a ****?

- Rob
Ah - jealousy is a snide one, isn't it?

milenko11
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 30, 2004, 07:41 AM

I have a WRX and your description was the reason that I purchased my car originally. I know its no aston martin but it was no where near the price. It's not everyones cup of tea but for some of us there is nothing better than a turbocharged awd car. I love the fact that my car is 4 door and boxy.

Oh and Ca$h, if you were in my area I'd give your SVX a run from 60 on and you can see how well you fare. You might be suprised.

george68
Banned
Jun 30, 2004, 08:18 AM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
Ah - jealousy is a snide one, isn't it?
I'm not jealous, I'm realistic. I think it's stupid that people worship things that they can never afford. It's a huge problem in America: people living beyond their means. Debt. Loans. Stuff like that. The only thing that car has going for it is the "Oohh everyone look at how much money I have" factor.

- Rob

george68
Banned
Jun 30, 2004, 08:19 AM

Originally posted by milenko11:
Oh and Ca$h, if you were in my area I'd give your SVX a run from 60 on and you can see how well you fare. You might be suprised.
Doubt it, but who knows.

- Rob

milenko11
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 30, 2004, 04:16 PM

What was your trap speed last time you ran the quarter?

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 30, 2004, 04:22 PM

The WRX is nice. Needs a couple of Mods to get rid of the Turbo lag and it would be better.

I've got a 2001 VW GTI VR6 Chip, exhaust and intake. On long trips I'm getting around 31-32 MPG at 75 MPH. A fun car to drive.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 30, 2004, 04:57 PM

Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

george68
Banned
Jun 30, 2004, 06:40 PM

Originally posted by MacGorilla:

A tucker! Gotta love that steering aimed 3rd headlight!

- Rob

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Jul 1, 2004, 10:04 AM

Stop bringing back dead threads

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

Zimphire
Baninated
Jul 1, 2004, 12:08 PM

Uh? This thread isn't that old.

george68
Banned
Jul 1, 2004, 11:03 PM

What was your trap speed last time you ran the quarter?
16.7 @ 87mph. Pretty sad, but in my defense it was in 90 degree really really really humid weather. My intake was cooking the air.... That was on a 'soft launch' where I didn't preload the 4eat at all, since I'm afraid to overheat it. This was also before my stage 1 shift kit. You can see me racing a modified WRX automatic in this video (I'm the black SVX)

http://chicane.myftp.org/Videos/dragsvxweb.mov

- Rob

george68
Banned
Jul 1, 2004, 11:04 PM

Originally posted by DeathToWindows:
Stop bringing back dead threads
**** off. Bringing back good threads that happen to have fallen off from page one isn't even close to the stupidity of those stupid pricks who post 'timeline' pictures. Go harass them, they're actually annoying, and contributing nothing.

- Rob

milenko11
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 1, 2004, 11:07 PM

I'm sure I can give you a run for your money. I am slightly modded though. I have a full turboback exhaust and mbc. I ran a 13.8 @ 98 mph. How much is the shift kit supposed to help?

SamuraiDL
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2004, 11:11 PM

wasnt an sti was it?

Zimphire
Baninated
Jul 1, 2004, 11:16 PM

I'm sure I can give you a run for your money. I am slightly modded though. I have a full turboback exhaust and mbc. I ran a 13.8 @ 98 mph. How much is the shift kit supposed to help?
Yes, you can beat a SVX. You are running stock SRT-4 times.

Forum Links
Forum Rules