Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Chords for Change

Chords for Change
Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 5, 2004, 10:31 PM

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/Night...en_040804.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/08/05/opinion/05bruce.html
Chords for Change
By BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN

A nation's artists and musicians have a particular place in its social and political life. Over the years I've tried to think long and hard about what it means to be American: about the distinctive identity and position we have in the world, and how that position is best carried. I've tried to write songs that speak to our pride and criticize our failures.

These questions are at the heart of this election: who we are, what we stand for, why we fight. Personally, for the last 25 years I have always stayed one step away from partisan politics. Instead, I have been partisan about a set of ideals: economic justice, civil rights, a humane foreign policy, freedom and a decent life for all of our citizens. This year, however, for many of us the stakes have risen too high to sit this election out.

Through my work, I've always tried to ask hard questions. Why is it that the wealthiest nation in the world finds it so hard to keep its promise and faith with its weakest citizens? Why do we continue to find it so difficult to see beyond the veil of race? How do we conduct ourselves during difficult times without killing the things we hold dear? Why does the fulfillment of our promise as a people always seem to be just within grasp yet forever out of reach?

I don't think John Kerry and John Edwards have all the answers. I do believe they are sincerely interested in asking the right questions and working their way toward honest solutions. They understand that we need an administration that places a priority on fairness, curiosity, openness, humility, concern for all America's citizens, courage and faith.

People have different notions of these values, and they live them out in different ways. I've tried to sing about some of them in my songs. But I have my own ideas about what they mean, too. That is why I plan to join with many fellow artists, including the Dave Matthews Band, Pearl Jam, R.E.M., the Dixie Chicks, Jurassic 5, James Taylor and Jackson Browne, in touring the country this October. We will be performing under the umbrella of a new group called Vote for Change. Our goal is to change the direction of the government and change the current administration come November.

Like many others, in the aftermath of 9/11, I felt the country's unity. I don't remember anything quite like it. I supported the decision to enter Afghanistan and I hoped that the seriousness of the times would bring forth strength, humility and wisdom in our leaders. Instead, we dived headlong into an unnecessary war in Iraq, offering up the lives of our young men and women under circumstances that are now discredited. We ran record deficits, while simultaneously cutting and squeezing services like afterschool programs. We granted tax cuts to the richest 1 percent (corporate bigwigs, well-to-do guitar players), increasing the division of wealth that threatens to destroy our social contract with one another and render mute the promise of "one nation indivisible."

It is through the truthful exercising of the best of human qualities - respect for others, honesty about ourselves, faith in our ideals - that we come to life in God's eyes. It is how our soul, as a nation and as individuals, is revealed. Our American government has strayed too far from American values. It is time to move forward. The country we carry in our hearts is waiting.

Bruce Springsteen is a writer and performer.
TED KOPPEL: Bruce, let me put it very bluntly ... Who the hell is Bruce Springsteen to tell anybody how to vote?

BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN: This is my favorite question.

KOPPEL: I thought it would be.

SPRINGSTEEN: First of all, I don't even tell anybody anything. You know, you ask people to think about things together, you know.

Second of all, it's an interesting question that seems to only be asked of musicians and artists, for some reason, you know. If you're a lobbyist in Washington, you're a business guy. Well, shut up and do business. Stay out of public policy, you know. Nobody complains about that. These big corporations, right, you influence the government your way, right? Labor unions influence the government their way. Farmers influence the government their way, right?

Artists write, and sing, and think, and this is how we get to put our two cents in, and we do it right in front of people, not in secret meetings behind closed doors. We let people know what we think�.

I don't know if people go to musicians for their politics. I doubt that they do, you know, but you can rally people to think on serious issues together, and that's what we're trying to do.

KOPPEL: This is clearly not the way you felt most of your professional life. Most of your professional life you have very carefully � you've spoken out about a lot of issues �. But you've never gone partisan on us, at least not that, not that I was aware of.

SPRINGSTEEN: Well, I've always felt I was partisan to a set of ideals, and that was my job, you know, whether it was economic justice, transparent government, how do we treat our weakest citizens, say, in foreign policy, when did we decide that it's all right to risk the lives of our very bravest young men and women? You know, I've written about these things for 25 years.

I stayed a step away from partisan politics because I felt it was always important to have an independent voice. I wanted my fans to feel like they could trust that �.

You build up credibility, and you build it up for a reason, you know, over a long period of time, and hopefully we've built up that credibility with our audience. And I have an audience that's Democrats, Republicans and everything else, you know. And I think there comes a time when you feel, all right, I've built this up, and it's time to spend some of this.

KOPPEL: I want to know whether you think this is going to hurt you �. It's a lot of concerts, a lot of cities. And to put it bluntly � it's a late night broadcast � you're going to piss a lot of people off.

SPRINGSTEEN: Oh, yeah.

KOPPEL: Yes.

SPRINGSTEEN: That's for sure. We who are about to be lambasted, salute you, you know?

KOPPEL: Is it going to hit you hard? ...

SPRINGSTEEN: ... I think you have a bond with your audience, and it's very particular because you've put your fingerprints on their imagination. It's really intimate. We've done it for a long time �.

I think for a percentage of my audience, this may feel like a severance of that bond, you know. But basically I feel like the relationship is more complicated than that, you know, that we're one, but we're not the same, you know �.

Basically, I would hope that I'm going to clarify some of the things that I stand for, and that clarification enriches my relationship with all parts of my life. I welcome everybody to our show, and I would always want everybody to feel, you know, to always feel welcome.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Aug 7, 2004, 10:48 AM

Kudos to Bruse Springsteen for trying to mobilize americans to think about politics and to use his famous name to get people's attention. Go vote America!
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

vmpaul
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2004, 11:38 AM

I like his answer here. It bears repeating:

quote:
TED KOPPEL: Bruce, let me put it very bluntly ... Who the hell is Bruce Springsteen to tell anybody how to vote?

SPRINGSTEEN: First of all, I don't even tell anybody anything. You know, you ask people to think about things together, you know.

Second of all, it's an interesting question that seems to only be asked of musicians and artists, for some reason, you know. If you're a lobbyist in Washington, you're a business guy. Well, shut up and do business. Stay out of public policy, you know. Nobody complains about that. These big corporations, right, you influence the government your way, right? Labor unions influence the government their way. Farmers influence the government their way, right?

Artists write, and sing, and think, and this is how we get to put our two cents in, and we do it right in front of people, not in secret meetings behind closed doors. We let people know what we think�.

I don't know if people go to musicians for their politics. I doubt that they do, you know, but you can rally people to think on serious issues together, and that's what we're trying to do.
The only thing that I am reasonably sure of is that anybody who's got an ideology has stopped thinking. - Arthur Miller

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2004, 11:17 PM

Mediocre Musicians and barely educated people for change.
Anyone who goes to a concert bashing Bush is obviously not undecided.
Didn't Pearl Jam (they suck) quote Chomsky?

Zimphire
Baninated
Aug 7, 2004, 11:43 PM

Gorillas are to China Gift Stores as Musicians are to politics.

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2004, 11:51 PM

Don't forget actors!
Hell, let's Bob Dylan to talk about weathermen and how to kill people.
Wasn't Bruce the one who said "Government's job is to redistribute wealth." or something to that tune?

hey!_Zeus
Banned
Aug 8, 2004, 12:06 AM

Thank the godz!

There is sanity and the majority of Americans will see it come November.

Funny how the right attacks by always calling these artists as mediocre or has beens.

Personal attacks aren't working but backfiring on the right. Dumb. Dumb. Dumb.

Thanx Bruce and all the other folk.

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Aug 8, 2004, 12:21 AM

Personal attacks on Bush and all of his advisers are dumb dumb dumb.
Most of these people have no talent. Dixie Chicks? Pearl Jam? Ew.
What majority, pinko?

Zimphire
Baninated
Aug 8, 2004, 12:22 AM

Originally posted by hey!_Zeus:
Funny how the right attacks by always calling these artists as mediocre or has beens.

You say this.. then you say

Personal attacks aren't working but backfiring on the right. Dumb. Dumb. Dumb.
So what is calling people Dumb?

Personal attack.

Forum Links
Forum Rules