Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > What's your favorite iMac design?

View Poll Results: What's your favorite iMac design?
Poll Options:
Gumdrop 73 votes (16.19%)
Desk Lamp 211 votes (46.78%)
Flat Panel (new design) 167 votes (37.03%)
Voters: 451. You may not vote on this poll
What's your favorite iMac design?
Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 31, 2004, 12:54 PM

Mine was the desk lamp design. It was the most unique. Plus it gave you far more control over the position of the display. Not to mention the drives lay horizontal for optimal performance.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Aug 31, 2004, 12:57 PM

Originally posted by Stogieman:
Mine was the desk lamp design. It was the most unique. Plus it gave you far more control over the position of the display. Not to mention the drives lay horizontal for optimal performance.
I'm 100% with you on that one. I don't really see the point of this new one as it doesn't save any more space.

"Hello, what have we here?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 31, 2004, 01:04 PM

I'm not decided on this.

The new design (G5) needs far less space on your desk than the other ones. The keyboard fits nicely underneath the stand, that's a nice space-saving plus.

Besides that, the G4 design was very nice, I liked it.
The specs kept me from buying.

G5 iMac: I'll hit it !

-t

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 31, 2004, 01:06 PM

Originally posted by Landos Mustache:
I'm 100% with you on that one. I don't really see the point of this new one as it doesn't save any more space.
But potentially it could. You could mount it on the wall (offset by an inch or two to reach the ports on the back) and you'd have tons of space.

Personally, as soon as savings allow, I'm going to do just that. I have a small library/study at home with a bare wall. I'm going to build a deep shelf to act as a desk, buy a new iMac, mount it on the wall with a VESA mount, and place the keyboard and mouse on the desk. Perfect for my three kids. And I don't have to worry about anyone yanking on the swivel screen or pushing the machine off the desk.

While the Luxo-like iMac was a great design, I like this one just as much if not more. Doesn't look like an upside-down salad bowl with a pole jammed thru the center.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Aug 31, 2004, 01:52 PM

The G5 design is nice, but right now I still liked the desklamp style. When I had one, the ability to move the display closer to you, up and down, etc. etc. was nice. Of course, the G5 design will probably grow on me until I like it more than the G4.

Change is good.
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

funkboy
Professional Poster
Aug 31, 2004, 02:49 PM

I like the G4 desklamp myself, but I think the G5 gives a whole extra level of possibilities with the adoption of standard VESA mountings. I'm going to start a new thread asking where to get them.

Personally, though, I still like easily swiveling my G4's screen all over the place... but the G5 iMac *does* save space, since there is no dome base to speak of. The keyboard can go under the computer, or you can just put other stuff underneath it.

It still reminds me some of the Gateway flat panel thangs, which were themselves a little like the 20th Anniversary Mac. I still love how innovative the G4 iMac was... but I guess the rest of the world wasn't ready for it.

Link
Professional Poster
Aug 31, 2004, 03:14 PM

The G4 imac rawked. Up until then nobody had thought about doing it like that and the first thing many people thought was that it was "cute"...

At the time it came out, the specs were pretty damn good too.. kinda like now, but what will be yet to see is if apple lets the g5 imac stand the test of time, unlike how they kamikazeed the g4.

If they wait almost a year to update, give it a crappy update that hardly goes near bleeding edge, so on and so forth, don't expect this design to last long.
Aloha

funkboy
Professional Poster
Sep 1, 2004, 12:54 PM

Originally posted by Link:
The G4 imac rawked. Up until then nobody had thought about doing it like that and the first thing many people thought was that it was "cute"...

At the time it came out, the specs were pretty damn good too.. kinda like now, but what will be yet to see is if apple lets the g5 imac stand the test of time, unlike how they kamikazeed the g4.

If they wait almost a year to update, give it a crappy update that hardly goes near bleeding edge, so on and so forth, don't expect this design to last long.
Very agreed. Hopefully they'll go the route of iPod updates at the beginning of its lifetime, adding better specs/features less than 6 months in between almost.

GORDYmac
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2004, 01:05 PM

The new one rocks on so many levels. I can imagine getting a VESA wall mount, Apple's wireless keyboard & mouse, and the 20" iMac. It'd look so sweet hovering above my desk with no CPU to worry about. I'd then trick it out with a few other wireless gadgets like speakers and I'd be set.

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Sep 1, 2004, 02:24 PM

the swingarm dome lamp is my favorite design ... i wonder if see'ing the new one in person will change that. i already played with a cinema display.. so .. we'll see

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Anilan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 3, 2004, 05:31 PM

The Desk Lamp and the G5 are both very unique. It was difficult for me to choose but I'll have to go with the Desk Lamp since it's what I have!

The size of the G5 is very appealing, however, I believe that the G4 was a little more asthetically pleasing.

OB1
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 3, 2004, 07:03 PM

I'm going on gut-reaction here rather than practicalities/specs.

I'm voting for the original iMac. At the time, they just seemed to beckon you into a better world. They made personal computing more personal

The desk-lamp iMac was cool, but I never really wanted one. I found them to be a bit too 'arty'.

I'm falling in love with the iMac G5. It just looks like a computer. It's not trying too hard to appealing.

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2004, 08:06 PM

Originally posted by GORDYmac:
The new one rocks on so many levels. I can imagine getting a VESA wall mount, Apple's wireless keyboard & mouse, and the 20" iMac. It'd look so sweet hovering above my desk with no CPU to worry about. I'd then trick it out with a few other wireless gadgets like speakers and I'd be set.
better yet get an outlet on the wall just behind it and a short cord or wind it up, and get lots of bluetooth accecory's and internal bluetooth and airport and network your printer from the airport basestation.
Look ma no cords.huh-huh-huh.

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2004, 08:09 PM

oh and I voted for original because they semmed so elegant at the time plus they were great for demo's because they were so see-through(the graphite was most see through)it was awwsome though.

Me�vv
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 3, 2004, 08:12 PM

The whole line of iMacs through history is completely remarkable. Just remember how innovative the first Bondi blue iMac was. It was the first computer without floppy drive. It was all-in-one including speakers and microphone. It used color as a design feature.

It moved the Macintosh product forward by using USB instead of ADB, only Ethernet instead of the serial cable, and it came with built-in IR communication (quickly discontinued but great for many users).

The design of the G3 iMac was so right. The design of the G4 iMac was also so right. And the design of the G5 is so right too. They are all great computers but nothing will ever be as ground-breaking as the original blue iMac.

booboo
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2004, 09:06 PM

Originally posted by Me�vv:
. . . They are all great computers but nothing will ever be as ground-breaking as the original blue iMac.
I agree, the original iMac changed so many people's minds as to how a computer should be perceived.

And they kick-started USB's popularity and then, in a later revision, the FireWire/iMovie home video-editing 'revolution' . . .

Incredible.

waffffffle
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2004, 01:23 AM

I think the second generation gumdrop was the best design. Front mounted headphone ports and slot loading combo drives are key.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 4, 2004, 06:21 AM

Pixar iMac also for me that is, the desk-lamp iMac. If you asked about what was more important for Apple, then no doubt, the original one of course.

storer
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2004, 06:31 AM

Pixar here too! I think it was very elegant, though I don't mind the new one. The original was too unlike the newer ones, and in a different class, IMO, so thats why I say this.

Namorado
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 4, 2004, 09:03 AM

Originally posted by Cadaver:
[...] You could mount it on the wall [....] While the Luxo-like iMac was a great design[...]
http://geocities.com/namorado.geo/CdoN3.ico    My favorite is yet-to-come; maybe finished by
2005 or 6.  There has been a trend toward making the
computer "invisible," until now all you see is the monitor. 
This may be a diversion to throw the copy-cat PC-companies off. 
Then Apple will do a complete reversal, making the casing-enclosure
the showpiece!  Only this time, no copy-cats; it's covered by a new
patent or copyright.  They bought a small company a few months
back, and have been issued registered rights to the outgrowth of its
technology... not an <i>invisible</i> computer, a <i>camouflaged</i> one.&#160;
and I don't mean like army-dress combat blotchy, I mean like grouper,
octopus, chameleon — the computer can change colors!&#160; A clear
casing, with little L.E.D.s facing outward from underneath the "skin,"
will mean it can blend in with its surroundings (or not), have waves of
color pulsing over the surface moment to moment, words, pictures,
fireworks, whatever can be seen!&#160;this will sell like hotcakes!&#160;
Time magazine won't have this iMac on its cover — they'll have to
do a centerfold!&#160; http://forums.macnn.com/images/smilies/wink.gif. ..&#160; Oh, yeah, and just an afterthought
(in case you want to get some work done), somewhere in all the Las-
Vegas-style arcades of color, they'll stick in an "ordinary" cinematic
LCD monitor (maybe you'll have to roll up a flashing sparkling window-
shade door to get to see the monitor, other wise it (not the computer) will be "invisible."&#160; http://forums.macnn.com/images/smilies/eek.gif
<pre>
-=0=- -=0=- -=0=- -=0=- -=0=- -=0=- -=0=- -=0=- -=0=-
Visit http://macvspc.info MAC vs PC
... if you're tired of Windows-Pentium problems,
endless patches, and security risks.

Oil = 20th-century fuel. Hydrogen = 21st-century fuel.
End USA'S national debt by 2020 with a hydrogen economy!
http://www.phoenixproject.net ... also,
http://braunforpresident.us details why!

Visit ___C a s a___d o___N a m o r a d o___
http://www.geocities.com/namorado.geo
-=0=- -=0=- -=0=- -=0=- -=0=- -=0=- -=0=- -=0=- -=0=-
<pre>

mlyons
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 4, 2004, 09:06 AM

I've had the gum drop and the lamp. I prefer the iLamp style. It sits on an end table in my living room and looks like it belongs there. We use it for internet searches, managing our music and photo library, and even making music. It's so easy to just swing the screen so someone sitting on the sofa can see what you're doing. I love it and have no plans to get rid of it.

The new style is interesting but I'm not running out to get one soon. I can wait (and that's not usually my style!) I may get one in the future to replace my G3 beige desktop on my rolltop desk. That seems like a better fit there. We'll see. My brother just ordered a new one yesterday so maybe when I see his in person I'll change my mind but right now the lamp is still the best to me.

sammaffei
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 4, 2004, 10:20 AM

Originally posted by macaddict0001:
better yet get an outlet on the wall just behind it and a short cord or wind it up, and get lots of bluetooth accecory's and internal bluetooth and airport and network your printer from the airport basestation.
Look ma no cords.huh-huh-huh.
<p>I already have an HP 2510 wireless printer/scanner/copier and a Belkin Bluetooth mouse. So, bring on my one cord iMac (after which I will buy a bluetooth Apple Keyboard).</p>

John V. Smith
Banned
Sep 4, 2004, 11:12 AM

I like the G4 iMac the best.. the G5 isn't fruity enough in the Apple way that we have come to know and love

Commodus
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2004, 12:07 PM

I'm torn - each has something endearing to it.

I actually voted for the iMac G5, but mainly because of the technical "ooh" factor. I talked to my mom a couple of days after she put in an order for an iMac G5, and she said that it was the sort of design she'd always wanted: no need for a separate computer base, just the whole thing merged into one and sitting in front of you. I tend to think that it's where we're ultimately going with computers (at least, before VR takes off) and so the iMac G5 seems like an advancement in that area.

Also, from a geek's perspective there's a certain appeal here. This is the most upgradeable iMac ever: if you look at Apple's user-installable parts guide, you can replace the hard drive and optical drive too. You could replace the CPU if 3rd-parties make upgrade kits, and you could even replace the LCD panel, power supply, or logic board if you were able to get your hands on any of those.

Second place for me would be the iMac G3. It's just too iconic and the design too inviting not to at least like it on the surface. Plus, I've always had a thing for the puck mouse that came with the earlier models.
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

JeffHarris
Sep 4, 2004, 12:11 PM

I like them all, but for differing reasons. it's a tough call!

A purple iMac?
The hyper-slick floating swing arm monitor?
VESA mount a completely wireless iMac?

I'll reserve my final opinion until I actually get to see and can get my hands on a G5 iMac.

The real question:
Why can't Apple bring back a few colors?
Make it an iMac mini with no monitor?

cgmpowers
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 4, 2004, 12:26 PM

I just ordered the new iMac, and it'll be my 11th Macintosh since the first iMac Gumdrop some five years ago.

I used to own a Blue Dalmation iMac and it was my favorite. It was colorful, bright and cheery. It was unique and I loved it. I also adored my KeyLime iBook, it often got comments on how cool it was by others.

I like my Lampshade iMac but its white, and sterile looking... I also like my Powerbook 17" but its sleak and silvery and somehow I miss the obnoxiously bright green of the iBook from before.

I'll embrase the new iMac but will still miss the bright blue and white speckeled spots of the Blue Dal iMac too!

MindWeapon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 4, 2004, 01:12 PM

As a former Mac Genius who had to repair the iMac, the slot load gum drop was by far the most elegant design. It was exceedingly easy to repair and it was probably the only iMac that didn't really seem crammed together.

As a consumer, I have to agree with the posts of many others. The small foot print and easily adjustable screen of the "sunflower" iMac gave users a never before seen flexibility in user experience.

That being said I've never purchased an iMac for myself.

iJames

BobbyG
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 4, 2004, 01:26 PM

Not to mention the drives lay horizontal for optimal performance.
please. imagine you were born in outer space. then, imagine what gravity must be like. a drive can't tell which way is up any more than an Airport card can.

'sall,

3gg3
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 4, 2004, 01:34 PM

Originally posted by Cadaver:
Doesn't look like an upside-down salad bowl with a pole jammed thru the center.
= a bit too 'arty'. OB1

iPoder
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 4, 2004, 02:57 PM

I am torn between lamp design or the new design.

For LCD part, lamp design is definitely better. Flexible, and truely an art of industrial design.

But for main system design, and the fact that every part of the iMac is easily accessible to the user, the new design is definitely more upgrade-friendly, and bear more characteristics of a desktop system than a portable.

STAT
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 4, 2004, 02:59 PM

Originally posted by BobbyG:
please. imagine you were born in outer space. then, imagine what gravity must be like. a drive can't tell which way is up any more than an Airport card can.
Actually, you're wrong. An Airport card has no moving parts that gravity acts upon. An optical drive does. I imagine technology has improved, but I remember when just a year or so ago, vertical optical drives weren't able to run as fast (I assume spin the disc as fast?) as horizontal drives because gravity acts upon the disc.
Apple user since 1987

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2004, 04:37 PM

Originally posted by BobbyG:

'sall,
well if its a tray loading then it can but other than that no.

DavidRavenMoon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 4, 2004, 05:33 PM

Originally posted by JeffHarris:
Why can't Apple...Make it an iMac mini with no monitor?
They did... and no one bought it... it was called the Cube!
G4/466, 1 GB RAM, 60 GB, 30 GB, OS X 10.3.5

george68
Banned
Sep 4, 2004, 06:23 PM

Lampshade. The sheer genious of the screen being able to adjust in so many directions is incredible. I use this feature EVERY day. If I see something interesting, I say "Hey Kristin, check this out" slap the moniter her direction, and then slap it back. I can slouch, adjust it for better use. I adjust it when I do photo-editing.

It's great.

- Rob

macnavi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 4, 2004, 07:14 PM

I have the opinion that no design will ever match the greatness of the iMac G4. I'm not speaking about opening it up and repairing or replacing parts, but the functional design when actually using the machine (most iMac G4 owners will only open their machines for extra RAM). A small base with a flexible and graceful moving screen... Who can deny that???

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2004, 11:25 PM

The iMac G4 is my favorite. I remember I wanted a iMac G3 DV SE so much and then the G4s came out with the movable arm and I was sitting there in front of my PC monitor, in awe. What a machine.
iamwhor3hay

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 5, 2004, 01:56 AM

Rev D iMac... since that's what I have. The original, but with the five fruity colours.

The THING IS STILL KICKING! It's still running at a decent clip under OS X. That said it was far more innovative for it's time than the G4 was by far. Sure the G4 had the arm, but using colour as a feature? Having a computer that looked like it belonged with it'self and in your life as opposed to hidden in the corner.

For sheer sentiment I have to say the original iMac is the best of all time.

That said, I think this new iMac brings it a lot closer to it's roots. This is what I always thought an FP iMac should be. The iMac was supposed to be an all in one, not two pieces that were stuck together with speakers all over the place.

That said with a VESA mount how will the speakers work on this thing? Not that I'm expecting anything amazing.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 5, 2004, 02:49 AM

I really liked the design of the G4 iMac. It looked great, radically different and it was great to be able to swivel and tilt the screen any way you wanted.

But, it was the greatest PITA to open up, service or replace parts. Apple should never produce such tightly closed desktops ever again. And it's not just about pro users - it's also a big deal for grandma who gets something fixed and has to pay the technician an extra $100 because of all the time it took him to just open the damn box and then close it again with all the heat paste, etc.

I haven't seen the new iMac in person but I think it could be a true winner. It looks clean and simple. It's functional and at the same time sleek. And that you can pop the back off giving access to all the components after loosening just three (retained) screws is magnificent. Add the diagnostic LEDs and I'd say it seems to be a very thoroughly designed product.

What beats me is the fact that it's supposed to look like a big iPod, but nevertheless they didn't go with the polished shiny metal back plate of the iPod. Why not? Because consumer Macs have to be white? Cost? Feasibility?

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 5, 2004, 04:50 AM

Originally posted by george68:
Lampshade. The sheer genious of the screen being able to adjust in so many directions is incredible. I use this feature EVERY day. If I see something interesting, I say "Hey Kristin, check this out" slap the moniter her direction, and then slap it back. I can slouch, adjust it for better use. ... - Rob
Now that is users friendly

andersbk
Sep 5, 2004, 05:14 AM

my vote is up for the G5

because of the size, VESA-mount capabilitys (you can mount it on the wall, on a swing-arm etc.) and the fact that it only has ONE chord sticking out of it. the powercord.
I CAN'T WAIT to put it on a glass-plate table in my livingroom and connect it to my stereo with AirPort Express
Powerbook G4 15" 1.67GHz/2GB/100GB/Superdrive + 20" Cinema Display
40GB iPod Photo - 2 x LaCie D2 250GB

jeffhot
Senior User
Sep 5, 2004, 10:15 AM

Originally posted by andersbk:
my vote is up for the G5

because of the size, VESA-mount capabilitys (you can mount it on the wall, on a swing-arm etc.) and the fact that it only has ONE chord sticking out of it. the powercord.
I CAN'T WAIT to put it on a glass-plate table in my livingroom and connect it to my stereo with AirPort Express
I'm withholding judgment until I see it in person, but the number of cords is the same for all models, since they're all-in-ones, all they need is the power cord. Exceptions include the tray-loaders, who couldn't connect to the internet wirelessly, and slot loaders, who couldn't use wireless keyboards and mice, without an external dongle.

andersbk
Sep 5, 2004, 01:25 PM

[/quote] I'm withholding judgment until I see it in person, but the number of cords is the same for all models, since they're all-in-ones, all they need is the power cord. Exceptions include the tray-loaders, who couldn't connect to the internet wirelessly, and slot loaders, who couldn't use wireless keyboards and mice, without an external dongle. [/quote]

Yeah, but when the iMac G4 first came out, we didn't have BT keyboard&mouse or AirTunes.
Today everything can go wireless (keyboard, mouse, printer, speakers, network etc.)

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Sep 5, 2004, 02:02 PM

The way I see it, the new iMac G5 is a nice machine, but it doesn't really offer much over a laptop.

It has a G5 processor - great! But by this time next year, Apple's got to have figured out how to make a G5 PowerBook since they know that demand for such a machine is through the roof. So, let's go through the reasons why you'd buy a iMac over a laptop, and see how the iMac G5 compares against a hypothetical PowerBook G5, versus how an iMac G4 compares to a PB G4.

1. Processor speed - initially, the iMac had a faster G4 than the PowerBook. Over time, they ended up being about the same. The iMac G5 currently has an edge on this, but when Apple figures out how to make a PowerBook G5, that will go away.

2. Larger screen - when the iMac got a 17" monitor, the PB only had a 15". Later, the PowerBook was bumped to 17", but the iMac later was bumped to 20", which remains its top-end today with the iMac G5. However, this is mitigated by the fact that you can plug a 23" monitor into the PowerBook if you need to through its DVI port. In fact, then you'd even get spanning, something you can't get in the iMac. So perhaps this advantage should actually go to the PowerBook.

3. Adjustable screen - this was the one area where the original iMac really shined. The ergonomics of the thing were incredible. Really, this is the thing that made me lust over the machine. The iMac G5's monitor isn't much more adjustable than the monitor on a PowerBook - probably less, even.

4. Desktop components instead of laptop components - this was the other thing that made the iMac tempting over a PowerBook. You could get a 4x SuperDrive in the iMac, while the PowerBook only had a 2x due to having to use a slot-loading drive that had to be able to survive in any orientation rather than the iMac's horizontally mounted tray-loader. The iMac G5, however, uses laptop components, so you've got an optical drive that's the same speed as the one in the PowerBook and actually slower than the one in the eMac.

5. The design: this is subjective, but to my mind the iMac G4 was innovative, cutting edge, and beautiful. The iMac G5 is sleeker than your standard all-in-one from Gateway or Dell but not really all that different from them, especially when compared to the uniqueness of the iMac G4. It just doesn't stand out as much.

Now, let's look at what new abilities the iMac G5 has over its predecessors:

1. Wall-mounting. This is cool, but will affect a very limited number of users.

2. User serviceable. This is nice, but most users will never deal with the insides of the machine. It will be great for school computer labs, though.

3. Smaller footprint than the iMac G4. But the PowerBook has the smallest footprint of all, since I can take the whole thing off my desk and have my entire desk to write on when I'm not using my computer.

So basically when comparing the iMac G5 against a PowerBook, you have one advantage that is temporary, two that are moot points, and two that don't affect most users. Whereas the PowerBook gives you portability, standard AirPort, standard Bluetooth...

I'm waiting for that PowerBook...
( Last edited by CharlesS; Sep 5, 2004 at 04:56 PM. )

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

andersbk
Sep 5, 2004, 02:48 PM

The way I see it, the new iMac G5 is a nice machine, but it doesn't really offer much over a laptop.

It has a G5 processor - great! But by this time next year, Apple's got to have figured out how to make a G5 PowerBook since they know that demand for such a machine is through the roof. So, let's go through the reasons why you'd buy a iMac over a laptop, and see how the iMac G5 compares against a hypothetical PowerBook G5, versus how an iMac G4 compares to a PB G4.

1. Processor speed - initially, the iMac had a faster G4 than the PowerBook. Over time, they ended up being about the same. The iMac G5 currently has an edge on this, but when Apple figures out how to make a PowerBook G5, that will go away.

2. Larger screen - when the iMac got a 17" monitor, the PB only had a 15". Later, the PowerBook was bumped to 17", but the iMac later was bumped to 20", which remains its top-end today with the iMac G5. However, this is mitigated by the fact that you can plug a 23" monitor into the PowerBook if you need to through its DVI port. In fact, then you'd even get spanning, something you can't get in the iMac. So perhaps this advantage should actually go to the PowerBook.

3. Adjustable screen - this was the one area where the original iMac really shined. The ergonomics of the thing were incredible. Really, this is the thing that made me lust over the machine. The iMac G5's monitor isn't much more adjustable than the monitor on a PowerBook - probably less, even.

4. Desktop components instead of laptop components - this was the other thing that made the iMac tempting over a PowerBook. You could get a 4x SuperDrive in the iMac, while the PowerBook only had a 2x due to having to use a slot-loading drive that had to be able to survive in any orientation rather than the iMac's horizontally mounted tray-loader. The iMac G5, however, uses laptop components, so it's the same speed as the PowerBook and actually slower than the eMac.

5. The design: this is subjective, but to my mind the iMac G4 was innovative, cutting edge, and beautiful. The iMac G5 is sleeker than your standard all-in-one from Gateway or Dell but not really all that different from them, especially when compared to the uniqueness of the iMac G4. It just doesn't stand out as much.

1. Wall-mounting. This is cool, but will affect a very limited number of users.

2. User serviceable. This is nice, but most users will never deal with the insides of the machine. It will be great for school computer labs, though.

3. Smaller footprint than the iMac G4. But the PowerBook has the smallest footprint of all, since I can take the whole thing off my desk and have my entire desk to write on when I'm not using my computer.

So basically when comparing the iMac G5 against a PowerBook, you have one advantage that is temporary, two that are moot points, and two that don't affect most users. Whereas the PowerBook gives you portability, standard AirPort, standard Bluetooth...

I'm waiting for that PowerBook...

i wouldn't start comparing a desktop versus a laptop, it's just not fair.

i sold my desktop three years ago, and i've lived with my iBook only for the three years and i must admit there are several things i miss from having a desktop.
Larger screen, fullsize keyboard, bigger HD, more ergonomic workspace etc.

you may argue that you can get an external display, keyboard, mouse, HD and so on and so on, but then the total cost just grows and grows.

And take a look at this:

PowerBook 17", G4 1.5GHz, 1GB RAM, 80GB HD, SD, AP is $3150

iMac 17", G5 1.8GHz, 1GB RAM, 80GB HD, SD, AP is $1850

That's a $1300 difference You can get yourself a second iMac for that kind of money

GaelDesign
Forum Regular
Sep 5, 2004, 03:03 PM

Originally posted by CharlesS:
The iMac G5, however, uses laptop components, so it's the same speed as the PowerBook and actually slower than the eMac.
The iMac G5's hard drive is a 3.5" 7200RPM SATA drive. You can't get that in the PowerBook.
President and Art Director of GaelDesign
Member of Distant Oaks - Celtic and Early Music Ensemble

Stogieman  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 5, 2004, 03:28 PM

Originally posted by CharlesS:
- That all depends on how hot future versions of the G5 will be. Apple is having hard time with the current processors.

3. Adjustable screen - this was the one area where the iMac G4 really shined. The ergonomics of the thing were incredible. Really, this is the thing that made me lust over the machine. The iMac G5's monitor isn't much more adjustable than the monitor on a PowerBook - probably less, even.
- I agree.

4. Desktop components instead of laptop components - this was the other thing that made the iMac tempting over a PowerBook. You could get a 4x SuperDrive in the iMac, while the PowerBook only had a 2x due to having to use a slot-loading drive that had to be able to survive in any orientation rather than the iMac's horizontally mounted tray-loader. The iMac G5, however, uses laptop components, so it's the same speed as the PowerBook and actually slower than the eMac.
What? Slower than an eMac?? With the exception of the slot loading optical drive, what laptop components does the iMac G5 use? Looking at the tech specs for each computer, you will see that the iMac has a faster cpu, ram, front-side bus, and hard drive over the eMac.

- They don't make hard drives like they use too. Over the 4.5 years I've owned my iMac DVSE 400, I had to replace my hard drive twice. Let me tell you it was a pain in the a$$ to install.

- If the iMac G5 is mounted on a wall, you can still have the entire desk to yourself.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Sep 5, 2004, 04:55 PM

What? Slower than an eMac?? With the exception of the slot loading optical drive, what laptop components does the iMac G5 use? Looking at the tech specs for each computer, you will see that the iMac has a faster cpu, ram, front-side bus, and hard drive over the eMac.
My bad, I wasn't terribly clear in that paragraph. My "it" was referring to the optical drive, not the whole setup, since the optical drive is kind of what was on my mind when I wrote it. However, I can see that I used a misplaced pronoun, which changes my intent. I'll edit it to fix that.

However, with regards to the other components, this is how I see it:

CPU: The PowerBook will eventually get a G5. It is inevitable because it is what the customers are demanding, and Apple will find a way to do it. I can't imagine them leaving the iMac with a better processor than a Power line for too long.

RAM, FSB: As I understand it, G5 processor is necessary for the faster RAM and front-side bus, so these will go along with the G5 processor when the PowerBook gets it.

Hard drive: You've got a point here.

However, I don't know about you, but the part I always notice the largest difference in is the optical drive. I do a lot of CD burning, and the SuperDrives have always been disappointing in regards to CD burning speed. And of course with DVDs, they take forever to write, so you want the fastest you can get. I have actually wished that iDVD worked with external DVD writers so that one could get a machine with a built-in Combo drive and get better CD burning speed, and then use an external DVD-R to write DVDs when it was necessary. True, you can get an internal SuperDrive and an external CD-RW, but burning CDs is something you're more likely to do when you're on the go than burning DVDs. It's unfortunate that you can't have a decent CD burner inside a laptop without being locked out of iDVD. With a desktop machine, OTOH, it really would be nice to have a decent burner built-in. Sure, you can get an external, which is what I would do if I had an iMac, but it messes up the elegance of the machine somewhat...

I'm sure that if I were into heavy video editing or Photoshop, I'd be more aware of the differences between different hard drives, but as it is, I can sort of notice a difference between the ATA/233 drive that's in my tower now, the ATA/66 drive that used to be in there, and the ATA/66 drive in my Pismo, but not by nearly as much as a doubling of CD/DVD writing speed...
( Last edited by CharlesS; Sep 5, 2004 at 05:14 PM. )

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

george68
Banned
Sep 5, 2004, 06:04 PM

Originally posted by Simon:
I really liked the design of the G4 iMac. It looked great, radically different and it was great to be able to swivel and tilt the screen any way you wanted.

But, it was the greatest PITA to open up, service or replace parts. Apple should never produce such tightly closed desktops ever again. And it's not just about pro users - it's also a big deal for grandma who gets something fixed and has to pay the technician an extra $100 because of all the time it took him to just open the damn box and then close it again with all the heat paste, etc.
I don't know what you're talking about. It's fine. The original iMac, with the slide-out tray and all those wires, that was a pain. The G4 iMac is 4 screws to remove the lower cover, and 4 more to drop the mobo. Replacing the components is pretty easy, and you don't need paste as long as you don't disturb what's already there.

- Rob

tonton
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 6, 2004, 01:10 AM

Seriously. I liked the flower Power iMac. I wish I could get it with a G4 inside.

If I could mount the iMac G5 on the wall with a triple jointed arm and use it with a bluetooth mouse and KB, I'd like it the best. I need the swivel arm, and VESA arms have not been marketed for the iMac YET. So I voted for the G4. When the arms start coming out I'll probably prefer the G5.
��n+�N

Got Vurt? Jeff Noon

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2004, 01:14 AM

Maybe the polls will change after the buyers get them and the retail stores get them.
iamwhor3hay

Forum Links
Forum Rules