Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Need suggestions and comments about the Nikon D50

Need suggestions and comments about the Nikon D50
phantomdragonz
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2006, 05:23 PM

ok, I am going to my graandmas 70th birthday on thursday and I need some info on a nikon D50... Basically I dont have enough time to do my research because I have to make my decision to order it by monday... so what do you all think about the camera, is it worth it? or should I stick with my good ol 35mm SLR?

any help and suggestions would be awesome

Zach

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2006, 05:58 PM

what 35mm SLR system do you have?

i am still learning the nuances of my camera 7 months after i got it. i know my pictures sucked balls the first few weeks.

but if you have a nikon, the control layout may be similar, but there are many more controls on a new dSLR than 35mm SLRs of the past. so you may be thoroughly confused.

what kind of information do you want about the D50? how much money can you spend?
iamwhor3hay

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 18, 2006, 06:34 PM

I know that when I have some spare hundred dollar bills I'll be buying one!
ice

plasticman
Feb 18, 2006, 09:24 PM

I have a Nikon D50 and it takes great photos of my family - infinitely better than my point and shoot digital camera. However, you should definitely buy an external flash and diffuser to go with it and use it the flash bounced off the ceiling to take photos indoors. I can't stress this enough!

I bought the SB-600 flash with a Stofen diffuser, and I think the SB-800 (which is more expensive) comes with a diffuser and a few more functions that I didn't really need. I set the flash angle to 75 degrees and when I turn the camera around to take portrait pictures, I bounce the flash at 90 degrees off the ceiling.

I really can't recommend this set up enough for indoor party type pictures.

phantomdragonz  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2006, 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by MrForgetable
what 35mm SLR system do you have?
but if you have a nikon, the control layout may be similar, but there are many more controls on a new dSLR than 35mm SLRs of the past. so you may be thoroughly confused.

what kind of information do you want about the D50? how much money can you spend?
I have a Minolta Maxxam 5 now and I love it, I am not concerned about my minolta glass as it's pretty cheap stuff and i only have two lenses...

The layout and buttons wont confuse me, I know a decent amount about digital and full manual cameras... plus I am one of the few that will actually read the manual

The info I want is just basic... is it a good digital SLR for the price? could/should I try and get something different/better? I basically dont want to spend an arm and a leg ($700+ body only) but I want a decent SLR too...

Zach

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2006, 02:22 AM

The Pentax *ist DL is the cheapest DSLR on the market at the moment (~$500 street with lens) and it's gotten good reviews. It uses the same sensor as the D50 and is smaller and lighter than anything from Nikon or Canon.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 19, 2006, 04:13 AM

The D50 can be found for under $600 with a lens thru various online retailers.
ice

alphamatrix
Senior User
Feb 19, 2006, 04:31 AM

Pros: Its a Nikon. Its inexpensive. A lot of people like it.
Cons: It hasn't got depth of field preview, it uses SD cards, its ISO range is not the best in its class. VR lenses are expensive.

I'm biased for I have a Konica Minolta 5D, the last digital SLR to carry the Konica Minolta brand name.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Feb 19, 2006, 08:07 AM

It's not a bad camera. It's cheap. The kit lens could be crap, it comes with a different one as the D70 IIRC.

Cons I can think of: No depth of field button (big con), yeah SD cards.., it's too damn light. Light is NOT good. A heavier camera is easier to hold still and stable.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

OreoCookie
Feb 19, 2006, 09:13 AM

For the average Joe, the D50 should take nice pictures. I have had two Nikons already and chances are that my first one (an F50) is still working (I have given it to my ex girlfriend some years ago). If you are already familiar with slrs, you should be fine. However, I would suggest looking into some more lenses. If you want to take pictures at family gatherings, the built-in flash should be fine.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

jersey
Senior User
Feb 19, 2006, 10:40 AM

remember the 1.5 crop factor with it. if you buy a 50mm, it will be closer to a 75. that said, you can get a 2.0 28mm cheap.

really, i would look for a used d70 at b&h, or keh, etc. although older, the d70 has it's advantages.

I think it's iso range is great 200 -1600 and many settings in-between, 320, 500, etc. who the hell shoots at 3200 ? but i do wish it offered 100.

oh.... and remember to underexpose by 1/3 of a stop... so as to not blow out the highlights.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 19, 2006, 01:43 PM

okay then...

what DSLR (with lens) would any of you purchase for less than ohh, $1000 US??
ice

jersey
Senior User
Feb 19, 2006, 02:00 PM

Arghh..... sorry, meant 2.8 28mm, it's about $200 new. yeah... that f2 28 is silly money.

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2006, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by IceEnclosure
okay then...

what DSLR (with lens) would any of you purchase for less than ohh, $1000 US??
Olympus E-500 dual-lens kit. it is ~800 if you shop around.
iamwhor3hay

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 20, 2006, 01:00 AM

Olympus E-500 dual-lens kit. it is ~800 if you shop around.
That E-500 looks nice. I had an Olympus for a while a few years ago, I liked it a lot.

I think I've bought into the "it's gotta be Nikon or Canon" bit though. Or did I make that one up?
ice

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2006, 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by IceEnclosure
That E-500 looks nice. I had an Olympus for a while a few years ago, I liked it a lot.

I think I've bought into the "it's gotta be Nikon or Canon" bit though. Or did I make that one up?
i think the only "consumer" canon i would consider is the 20D, if only for its high ISO performance and 5FPS, and that comes at just under $1000 used body only.

the XT is nice I GUESS but my fingers are way too long and it is just too plasticky feeling to me, but of course, that is just me.

if nikon, i'd go D70(s) over the D50, no doubt. especially the 18-70 kit lens vs the 18-55.

but looking at SOME of the images from both cameras, i find that the canon's give a sort of "plasticky" smoothed over look (heavy noise reduction?), which some people might like. i don't. the nikon's looked less smoothed over, but the colors seemed "flatter." so i went with the one with the images i liked the most: olympus.
iamwhor3hay

greenamp
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2006, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by phantomdragonz
ok, I am going to my graandmas 70th birthday on thursday and I need some info on a nikon D50... Basically I dont have enough time to do my research because I have to make my decision to order it by monday... so what do you all think about the camera, is it worth it? or should I stick with my good ol 35mm SLR?

any help and suggestions would be awesome

Zach
Here's a good review:
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ni...ew/index.shtml

I just bought a D50 today from B&H for $700 with the 18-55 kit lens and a 1g SD card. From what Ive read it's the highest recommended "entry-level" Digital SLR on the market. It feels really good in the hand compared to the Pentax *ist and Cannon Rebels in the same price range.

The one caveat most seem to comment on is that the D50 tends to over expose a bit, but this can be easily adjusted by bumping down the exposure -0.7EV, -0.3EV, as per the dcresource.com review.

phantomdragonz  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2006, 03:10 PM

ok, I just placed my order with butterfly photo... with overnight shipping it brought the total to a little over $600 (shipping was $40) I got the one with the 18-55mm lens

usually I take like three weeks to do research, but I only learned about this camera less then a week ago...

I will be going to costco here soon to pick up a 1gb card, and my local photo store to get a daylight filter...

Thanks for all your help, I will be sure to post up a reply once I get back from my trip, I return sunday...

Zach

Mac Write
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2006, 03:53 PM

I think you should really byte the bullet and pay the $1,500(?) for a D200 and get it with the 18-200mm VR kit. D200 has a bigger viewfinder, no pre-programed "Vanity" stuff and I think coming from a film SLR you would like it better (go play with it in a store, you won't be able to put it down).
Get busy living or get busy dying
--Stephen King

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Feb 20, 2006, 05:58 PM

Uhhh, did you read the original post? They need the camera by Thursday. Nobody has the 18-200mm VR (alone or in the kit) in stock, and they all have long wait lists. Getting a D200 in any configuration other than the 18-70 kit takes months, not days.

tooki

Dr Reducto
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 20, 2006, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by tooki
Uhhh, did you read the original post? They need the camera by Thursday. Nobody has the 18-200mm VR (alone or in the kit) in stock, and they all have long wait lists. Getting a D200 in any configuration other than the 18-70 kit takes months, not days.

tooki

The D200 is hard to find, but a lot of people have gotten the 18-200VR. My photo editor told me she saw onee at the local ritz camera.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Feb 20, 2006, 09:01 PM

The D200 is a lot easier to find than the 18-200 VR. Most camera sites don't even have that lens listed in their catalogs yet. And the few that do are gouging prices on them.

I'd say that a lot more people have gotten D200s than 18-200 VR lenses.

tooki

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2006, 01:50 AM

iamwhor3hay

phantomdragonz  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2006, 05:32 AM

yeah, I was taking a risk going with butterfly, they DID call me and "pressure me" into the warranty and the typical accessories... the only thing I folded on was the battery, otherwise it was easy to just say "I'm not interested" although I did have to say it twice for the warranty crap... but fedex says it has shipped and it should be here today (since I am posting at 2:30 am) in about 12 hours actually...

so as long as I recieve what I ordered then i will be happy, I would NOT recommend this place though...

Zach

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2006, 06:58 AM

Another potential problem is if Butterfly isn't a Nikon Authorized Reseller, Nikon usually won't fix the camera if it breaks during the manufacturer warranty.

Anyways, congrats on the new camera. The D50 is a good camera. I'm sure you will love it. I bought a D70 when they first came out and I'm still impressed with the quality of pictures it takes to this day.

greenamp
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2006, 12:35 PM

Got my D50 today from B&H. Ordered it Sunday, no hassles, no gimmics. Great store, I'll definitely buy from them again in the future.

phantomdragonz  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2006, 03:13 PM

I got my d50 today too... still need to buy a card though...

Zach

greenamp
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2006, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by phantomdragonz
I got my d50 today too... still need to buy a card though...

Zach
Grats to us

Check this out:
Lexar 1gb SD for $51 @buy.com
$40 manufacturers MIR

link: http://slickdeals.net/#p7103
( Last edited by greenamp; Feb 21, 2006 at 03:43 PM. )

phantomdragonz  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2006, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by greenamp

the problem is that card is slow as snot... and I need one like.... now... So i am going to a brick and mortar store... probably sams/costco/ walmart or somehting

Zach

Forum Links
Forum Rules