Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Runes in Safari - Unicode related issue

Runes in Safari - Unicode related issue
voodoo
Posting Junkie
Feb 1, 2007, 03:11 PM

When surfing Wikipedia on runes, they don't display properly. There are just generic boxes instead of runes.

Runic alphabet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

(see the lower half of the page, the runes that are displayed correctly are just pictures)

However in the URL runes are displayed correctly

Algiz - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

(click the link and you'll see the rune in the URL)

Why is this? Does anyone know how I can set Safari so runes display correctly on the webpage?

Thanks!!

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 1, 2007, 06:17 PM

By default OS X does not come with a Unicode font that includes runes. As per suggestion of the "Runic alphabet" article you linked to above, I downloaded the "Junicode" font and runes are working fine within that article as well as in the URL of the second article.

voodoo  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 1, 2007, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
By default OS X does not come with a Unicode font that includes runes. As per suggestion of the "Runic alphabet" article you linked to above, I downloaded the "Junicode" font and runes are working fine within that article as well as in the URL of the second article.
Right, thanks.. however the font in the URL (adress line) of Safari displayes the runes correctly. So that font, whatever it is includes runes.

The font used in the main body does not, apparently. Thusly, by default OS X does come with at least one Unicode font that includes runes.

V

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 1, 2007, 06:57 PM

The font in the address field is Lucida Grande and it definitely does not contain runes. OS X will fall back to another font if it needs the character, but I didn't have one installed with runes. Before I installed Junicode I got a box for that character, now that I have uninstalled again I get a box for that character in the URL. All worked with Junicode installed.

You can open the character palette (Edit->Special Character) to view which fonts you have installed that implement the character 16E6.

voodoo  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 1, 2007, 07:55 PM

The font in the address field is Lucida Grande and it definitely does not contain runes. OS X will fall back to another font if it needs the character, but I didn't have one installed with runes. Before I installed Junicode I got a box for that character, now that I have uninstalled again I get a box for that character in the URL. All worked with Junicode installed.

You can open the character palette (Edit->Special Character) to view which fonts you have installed that implement the character 16E6.

I'm not understanding quite.. this is what I get in the URL line and I've never installed any fonts on OS X. Just the default installation. It is the correct rune.

Perhaps the system resorts to another font to display the runes, which means that it has a runic font installed by default.

I'm wondering why it doesn't use this font then in the main body of the text in the wikipedia webpage.

Again, I've *never* installed *any* font on my system. Only what was supplied with the default installation of 10.4 and that's it.

V

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 1, 2007, 09:47 PM

That's not the correct rune. It's the "I don't know how to draw runes" replacement box which happens to contain a similar rune. You can paste it into TextEdit and increase the font size to see it better:

Note that it tells you the Unicode range that this box replaces.

OS X is only capable to display runes if you install a Unicode font that contains them. I tried it with the font linked to from the "Runic alphabet" Wikipedia article you mentioned, and it worked fine for me.

voodoo  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 1, 2007, 09:58 PM

That's not the correct rune. It's the "I don't know how to draw runes" replacement box which happens to contain a similar rune. You can paste it into TextEdit and increase the font size to see it better:

Note that it tells you the Unicode range that this box replaces.

OS X is only capable to display runes if you install a Unicode font that contains them. I tried it with the font linked to from the "Runic alphabet" Wikipedia article you mentioned, and it worked fine for me.
Yeah you're right, it was so small I didn't notice.

V

voodoo  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 1, 2007, 10:09 PM

ᚠ ᚡ ᚢ ᚣ ᚤ ᚥ ᚦ ᚧ ᚨ ᚩ ᚪ ᚫ ᚬ ᚭ ᚮ ᚯ
ᚰ ᚱ ᚲ ᚳ ᚴ ᚵ ᚶ ᚷ ᚸ ᚹ ᚺ ᚻ ᚼ ᚽ ᚾ ᚿ
ᛀ ᛁ ᛂ ᛃ ᛄ ᛅ ᛆ ᛇ ᛈ ᛉ ᛊ ᛋ ᛌ ᛍ ᛎ ᛏ
ᛐ ᛑ ᛒ ᛓ ᛔ ᛕ ᛖ ᛗ ᛘ ᛙ ᛚ ᛛ ᛜ ᛝ ᛞ ᛟ
ᛠ ᛡ ᛢ ᛣ ᛤ ᛥ ᛦ ᛧ ᛨ ᛩ ᛪ ᛫ ᛬ ᛭ ᛮ ᛯ

Cool!

(after installing Junicode font this works just fine) Thanks TETENAL.

V

Forum Links
Forum Rules