Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > 20" Cinema Display; Pink wash over all

20" Cinema Display; Pink wash over all
ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Jun 8, 2008, 08:52 AM

After about 15 minutes of browsing around on the nets today, the entire screen displayed a pink hue over everything. Very apocalyptic. Not sure exactly what was going on. Bought this 20" Cinema display with my dual 2GHz G5 new in October 2003 I believe.

To verify if hardware or software related, booted into OF, reset-nvram and no luck. Then, shut down the machine, unplugged it, disconnected the monitor cable from the back of the machine, took off both the outer panel and inner air-flow cover. Vacuumed out the inside of the monitor port, then the outside. Reseated the monitor cable and so far so good 5 minutes in. This monitor and machine does not move at all. That was odd. I have that sinking feeling in my gut that something else is wrong.

Am I paranoid?
ebuddy

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 8, 2008, 09:25 AM

It could be that you've just kicked the cable over time, thus knocking it loose. I wouldn't expect a 5 year old LCD to be going bad that soon, unless it's on 24/7.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jun 8, 2008, 04:23 PM

Check your colour profile in the displays prefs.

ebuddy  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 8, 2008, 05:02 PM

Thankfully, reseating and/or cleaning the port seems to have made the difference. On several hours now and no issue.

Maybe I was just paranoid. I was scared there for a minute. I friggin' love this monitor.

Thanks all!
ebuddy

ebuddy  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 26, 2008, 07:03 PM

Well... it's back. This time I shut the machine down, unplugged it, vacuumed out the inside and outside of monitor port, reseated the cable, turned machine back on and total pink wash over all.

I checked the color settings in display prefs, but not seeing anything "fixable"???
ebuddy

anthology123
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 26, 2008, 07:14 PM

I have an Apple 17 Cinema Display, the clear one with the ADC connector. It displays a magenta hue over the whole screen. Sorry, I don't have a solution for you.

ebuddy  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 26, 2008, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by anthology123 View Post
I have an Apple 17 Cinema Display, the clear one with the ADC connector. It displays a magenta hue over the whole screen. Sorry, I don't have a solution for you.
Yeah, I had forgotten the problem because it's been a few weeks since it originally happened. I've tried resetting nvram and reset-all and no luck. I've got a CRT monitor plugged into the secondary port and it does not have the pink hue throughout.

The info I'm finding online is talking about something altogether different. Pink pixels, pink corners, etc... this is the entire screen. Very odd this.
ebuddy

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 27, 2008, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by ebuddy View Post
Yeah, I had forgotten the problem because it's been a few weeks since it originally happened. I've tried resetting nvram and reset-all and no luck. I've got a CRT monitor plugged into the secondary port and it does not have the pink hue throughout.

The info I'm finding online is talking about something altogether different. Pink pixels, pink corners, etc... this is the entire screen. Very odd this.
Sounds like a cable issue, they're not replaceable on the cinema displays are they?

Forum Links
Forum Rules