Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Went to the LA Car Show Yesterday

Went to the LA Car Show Yesterday (Page 3)
Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 30, 2011, 10:02 PM

Awww. Okay. I guess I'll have to torrent then.

Thank you for the links/info on Clarkson's other projects, bros.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Nov 30, 2011, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Awww. Okay. I guess I'll have to torrent then.
Yeah. It may not be a big deal to some, but Top Gear's production values are so high, especially during the car reviews done by Jeremy, that it seems wrong to change something like the music.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 30, 2011, 10:18 PM

To ease any guilt, I bought the discs as well as grabbing the original shows off BT. That way they do get some cash from it.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 30, 2011, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
To ease any guilt, I bought the discs as well as grabbing the original shows off BT. That way they do get some cash from it.
They're paid for by Brit taxpayers' funding, so don't worry too much.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 1, 2011, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
He's also got a few books out (which are basically a collection of his Sunday Times columns) which are hilarious. Not sure they'd translate to the US because there's a lot of Brit cultural reference in them.
The World According to Clarkson stuff is very funny, but I have a feeling that he's just said a bit too much.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 1, 2011, 07:58 AM

Big Mac, I understand your observations, and as a long time Honda owner, I pretty much share them right now. This year's newest models aren't as interesting as the last generations' models. They've added a few gadgets, but reduced the overall suite of amenities. I really, really love the digital speedo way forward on the dash in my Civic, but now it shares space with a display that could show all sorts of things-none of which make it easier to pay attention to your speed or the road. Not impressed. The outside styling isn't thrilling either.

As for the Focus, I think it's a really nice car. And I'm not alone in suggesting that Honda (and Toyota and Nissan) were responsible for Ford, GM and other US car makers actually taking notice of customers' demands for improved reliability and interesting styling. The Focus, for example, is a really sharp looking car, and it has really good reliability ratings. That's a very good thing, and a nice change since as recently as the late 1990s when US cars were way behind Japanese cars in this area.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Dec 1, 2011, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
The World According to Clarkson stuff is very funny, but I have a feeling that he's just said a bit too much.
Caught that... ..muhahahaha...

Unison said it was taking "urgent legal advice" over his comments.
Filthy leftie bastards need to get a sense of humour.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Tiresias
Dec 1, 2011, 10:00 AM

It doesn't surprise me that the Korean cars have the most head room.

The stereotype about Asians, of course, is that they are short.

However, I live in South Korea

<----

and I can tell you it does not apply to them.

I'm 6"2 and I met people almost every day who are taller than me.

The Japanese on the other hand...

P
Dec 1, 2011, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
As for the Focus, I think it's a really nice car. And I'm not alone in suggesting that Honda (and Toyota and Nissan) were responsible for Ford, GM and other US car makers actually taking notice of customers' demands for improved reliability and interesting styling. The Focus, for example, is a really sharp looking car, and it has really good reliability ratings. That's a very good thing, and a nice change since as recently as the late 1990s when US cars were way behind Japanese cars in this area.
Ford used to have two different lines of platforms: One traditional for the US, and one for the rest of the world which was also used by Volvo and Mazda. The ones for rest of world have been decent no-frills cars for years now. All they did was start producing these cars in the US as well.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

hayesk
Dec 1, 2011, 12:28 PM

Everything that comes out of his mouth is tongue in cheek. What he says is always a grain of his opinion multiplied a thousand times. They obviously don't know him very well, or more likely, are just grandstanding.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 1, 2011, 02:16 PM

Yeah, the BBC is going to sack him and lose the biggest chunk of their revenues. Are those people stoned?

He's a shock jock, it's what he's paid to do.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2011, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
A buddy of mine is a 6'4", and the only sedan he could find that he could fit in was from Hyundai.
I'm 6'3" and the Dodge Magnum I used to have was so bloody roomy, I had to actually pull the driver's seat UP to reach the pedals.

Forum Links
Forum Rules