Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Fat people got no reason to live; Military Conscription Fatcamp; Canada vs the World

Fat people got no reason to live; Military Conscription Fatcamp; Canada vs the World
Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Mar 29, 2012, 04:21 AM

<rant>

I'm just over it. I'm over all the morbidly obese, Michelin Man lookalikes that are taking over. Seriously, WTF? Yesterday I watched in horror, I couldn't look away, as a family/herd of five destroyed TEN dozen jelly-filled Krispy Kreme doughnuts for "lunch". The older male was likely ~400lbs, the matriarch was a good 350, and their pre-teen spawn were all spherical with more chins than... well, you know the rest. Later, as they waddled away and loaded up in their dinged-up Caravan, which lowered a good 4" when they climbed aboard, I noticed they had handicap license plates. Really? Just because they've eaten themselves into 10XL size clothing they get the same consideration as folks who are missing limbs or use walkers? That's pathetic.

Think smoking and alcohol are bad? Obesity is the #1 drain on our healthcare system now, and it's only getting worse. I'm not one for legislating choices, if someone wants to snort up a hundred Roxies a week, that's their business. Pretty soon they'll remove themselves from society for their stupidity and we won't have to deal with them. With fatties, however, modern medicine is finding ways to keep them around, extending their wretched lives and laying the burden of paying for it on everyone else's doorstep.

So, put down that triple Thickburger, get a f#%$ing salad, and buy a bicycle, you slugs. As an added benefit, you'll be able to wash your entire body and you won't have to walk around smelling like an ammonia and Limburger fondue.

</rant>
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

badidea
Professional Poster
Mar 29, 2012, 05:48 AM

extremist alert
extremist alert
extremist alert

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 29, 2012, 06:33 AM

I was going to comment, agreeing with Shaddim's disgust, but I couldn't find a way to express myself without sounding like a bigot. Obesity, as contrasted with "overweight," is a major health problem throughout this country, and unfortunately one that people only seem to talk about. Too bad the rest of us wind up paying for the disabling side effects of such extreme obesity.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 29, 2012, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by badidea View Post
extremist alert
extremist alert
extremist alert
Pffft, Germans are almost as bad as Americans now, half the German guys I've seen lately should be fitted for a Manzier.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 29, 2012, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I was going to comment, agreeing with Shaddim's disgust, but I couldn't find a way to express myself without sounding like a bigot. Obesity, as contrasted with "overweight," is a major health problem throughout this country, and unfortunately one that people only seem to talk about. Too bad the rest of us wind up paying for the disabling side effects of such extreme obesity.
That's about right, I am becoming bigoted towards the disgustingly obese. They hardly seem human anymore, more like bovine-shaped calorie dumpsters. "Ma'am, step away from the pastry and get on the treadmill!"
- Thomas Paine

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 29, 2012, 07:04 AM

This is a bigger (heh) problem in the country than in the city, which is ironic since all the good food you make in the country gets shipped to us.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 29, 2012, 07:15 AM

Obesity is a big problem. Weight loss is hard, and it can be even harder for people who have a lot to lose. I generally have compassion for the overweight, but I understand Shaddim's annoyance over those who have weight problems problem and continue reinforcing them with bad behavior.

It also speaks to a broader societal question: Can we have a free country, a free people, if a substantial portion have problems with self-governance, self-control and dignity? I guess I know the unfortunate answer to that question.
( Last edited by Big Mac; Mar 29, 2012 at 07:31 AM. )

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

design219
Professional Poster
Mar 29, 2012, 07:29 AM

Do we need some Hunger Games?

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 29, 2012, 08:06 AM

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 29, 2012, 09:43 AM

Write your representative about supporting the fat food super tax, and make PE mandatory at the federal level, or STFU.

*eats a donut*

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 29, 2012, 09:55 AM

Make that a double.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Mar 29, 2012, 10:00 AM

This seems like a good thread to promote the idea of airlines charging per pound (combined person and luggage). Or maybe a flat fare and then an adjustment if you are over 250lbs.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Mar 29, 2012, 10:44 AM

It's not just America. From my trip to Berlin last January:

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 29, 2012, 10:58 AM

This thread makes me hungry.

Tiresias
Mar 29, 2012, 12:21 PM

I don't have very much sympathy for the obese either.

If you're bald, short or ugly, I pity your plight. But being obese is a choice.

No, no, let me finish.

Some obese people will tell you that it runs in the family, that they have diabetes, that it is hormonal, or some such thing suggesting that the matter is entirely beyond their control.

But think of the starving people in Somalia, North Korea and elsewhere whose images are periodically flashed across our television screens. If there were any validity to the claim that, in certain individuals, obesity is not directly related to calorific intake, then we would see at least one pitifully malnourished but nevertheless obese man or woman stumbling toward an aid worker with their fat hands out, begging for a palmful or oatmeal to ratchet them back from the bring of starvation.

If for you being obese is a worthwhile sacrifice for the gustatory pleasure you derive from consuming 5,000 calories a day, fine. But please, don't expect me to be touched with sympathy when you appear on Oprah and sob about the impossibility of not being obese.

Put. The. Burger. Down.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 29, 2012, 01:09 PM

I just love how sole blame is put on the individual and corporations get a free pass in all this. Besides the fact that food is more plentiful then ever with every outlet traditionally not involved with food now selling some form of junk food. We do need to look at how food has changed over the last 30 years. Corporations have gotten it down to a science, yes they really do a lot of scientific work to formulate and manufacturer different combinations of corn into shit that looks like, tastes like, smells like and feels like the food we are used to and the chemical composition is designed in such a way to stimulate parts of the brain related to other addictions. To interfere with the bodies own messages and feed back systems to block self control. Add to that the advertising and that's down to a science now too for all products on how to get the most emotional response out of a TV add. Bottom line is we have gotten so good at making fake food that creates addiction and subdues the feedback systems with massive market penetration along with potent advertising creating a massive mess of sickness that is getting worse and worse with each generation. Kids growing up today well have no clue to anything different to eating out or quick bytes or frozen foods.

Just look at Coke, its mostly salt. Salt dehydrates you. It also stimulates your pleasure center because people crave salt. Then a lot of sugar is tossed in there to hide the salt. Not only a lot of sugar but HFCS which has 5% more fructose. Now that the sugar is in there which also stimulates your pleasure center because sugar is also a craved substance, its also a addictive substance. Add into that caffeine which is very bitter they claim is for taste but they have to add chemistry to hide its bitterness but it is good for causing you to pee free water, or lose water adding to the before mentioned dehydration of salt, and it is addictive and affects the brain and stimulates the pleasure center what you have is artificial drink soup that is designed to make you thirsty and be addictive and to stimulate your taste senses.

All fast food gives away cheap pop at a low price and at excessive quantities because of one other effect Coke has. The fructose content from the sugar during metabolization in the liver releases compounds that affect the feed back system from the body that tells the Brain its full, it no longer needs to eat. This results in massive over eating because the brain never gets the message hey we are good. This is why high sugar diets lead to over eating.

Its not a question as big mac asked about in a free society how to you stop people from over eating. The real question is in a free society how do you stop capitalism from the us of technology and science exploiting people for profits when those profits come with a real negative cost to society.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 29, 2012, 01:23 PM

I can imagine the cartel of fatty food corporations, planning and concerting new ways to make our digestive and nervous systems their permanent, undivided cash bovines.

Then the matrix gets into the mix.

abby
Mar 29, 2012, 01:37 PM

of course they do! all people have a lot of reasons to live. we just need to realize what it is specifically.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 29, 2012, 01:40 PM

The sad thing is, free health care perpetuates and enables this bad behavior even more.
There is no way to "fix" the problem. People will continue to eat themselves to death until society accepts that ALL of this is a problem of abolishing the concept of individual personal responsibility.

Until then: tough luck, fattys, your lives will continue to suck.

-t

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 29, 2012, 01:45 PM

If it was JUST the case of eating to much only to eat to much then why only the last 30 years. Why is the same pattern developing all over the world even in China. Sorry the eating to much isn't the problem. Its how our food has changed to be more calories dense, and how its been engineered to cause over eating. Its not about personal responsibility, its about corporate responsibility. And making a buck is more important then anything else.

Maybe if the FDA put a tax on sugar, and out right banned a lot of chemicals from food processing things would change back for the good. Perhaps removing the subsidy from Corn and putting it on healthy vegetables will go a long way.

Hell just removing the subsidy put on Corn would probably change a lot with our food.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 29, 2012, 01:52 PM

F$&ck no, it's way to easy and defeatist to just blame it on big corporations.

Nobody is forced to eat crap, no matter what's offered.
This shit will never end if people dont stop making excuses, and take personal responsibility.

-t

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Mar 29, 2012, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
F$&ck no, it's way to easy and defeatist to just blame it on big corporations.

Nobody is forced to eat crap, no matter what's offered.
This shit will never end if people dont stop making excuses, and take personal responsibility.

-t

Bingo. It all comes down to YOU, period. You don't get 400 lbs overnight. You should have common sense to know that when its starting to get out of hand you need to do something. If your isn't health worth an extra 15 minutes of exercise a day, I have no sympathy for you. The time used to make the excuses can be used to do something or miss a meal or two if needed.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 29, 2012, 02:18 PM

Fat taxes, public transportation and high gas prices, are the only way, rather than bickering, hate and abandon.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 29, 2012, 02:19 PM

My .02

I'm just as disgusted as Shaddim at the morbidly obese. I'm not talking 'overweight' I'm talking people who look like Jabba the Hutt.

My dad is very fit, my mom is very fit (before she was in a wheelchair), my sister is very fit and I'm very fit. I eat what I want, I don't exercise and I love video games and the internet. What's my secret (and my dad's?) Our jobs. I'm on my feet 7 hours a day 5 days a week. Not just on my feet, but scaling buildings, climbing ladders, and digging holes.

Too many people sit in front of god-forsaken computer screens for their jobs, 8 hours a day of the most physical activity being getting up to take a dump. It's unnatural as hell, and in my opinion, a leading contribution to the growing waistband of the civilized world. If you don't move at all during the day you have to work that much harder to eat well and get actual exercise.

My mother is actually disabled, and to see fat f**ks park in those spaces because they couldn't put the fork down turns my stomach. To see someone who weighs well over 400 pounds and needs a motorized vehicle to move about is grotesque. To that end, I aslo find eating competitions to be just as grotesque. Making a sport out of overeating is sickening.

All this bullshit and I'd get thrown in jail for smoking pot, it's ludicrous. I could shoot up heroin all day every day and not be 1/10th the drain on society that these small planets are.

Wow, that got me riled up more than I planned.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 29, 2012, 02:26 PM

The sad thing is, free health care perpetuates and enables this bad behavior even more.
What a load of rubbish, the UK and France have had free health services for years. Its only recently that they're catching up with the obesity rates of the US.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Mar 29, 2012, 02:27 PM

I'll take it one step farther. I'm fit and I DO sit in front of a computer for 8+ hour a day, but I workout 5 times a week, knowing this. My biggest grip of an excuse... I need motivation... Is a heart attack not enough motivation for you?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 29, 2012, 02:31 PM

Agree entirely. I think exercise, not working out at a gym necessarily, but just getting up and moving around is the biggest key ingredient to maintaining a healthy weight.

I get so annoyed listening to chubby girls/guys who think that all they need to do is eat less (which only slows your metabolism down) or start some silly diet of random ingredients to lose weight. How about this, instead of changing your diet, try going for a long walk every day, or take the stairs instead of the elevator a few times a week. I;d bet money that it works faster than starving yourself or starting some weird diet.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 29, 2012, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
My dad is very fit, my mom is very fit (before she was in a wheelchair), my sister is very fit and I'm very fit. I eat what I want, I don't exercise and I love video games and the internet. What's my secret (and my dad's?) Our jobs. I'm on my feet 7 hours a day 5 days a week. Not just on my feet, but scaling buildings, climbing ladders, and digging holes.

Too many people sit in front of god-forsaken computer screens for their jobs, 8 hours a day of the most physical activity being getting up to take a dump. It's unnatural as hell, and in my opinion, a leading contribution to the growing waistband of the civilized world. If you don't move at all during the day you have to work that much harder to eat well and get actual exercise.
Google : "sitting is killing you" and you'll see how many people have exactly the same opinion.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Mar 29, 2012, 02:48 PM

Agree entirely. I think exercise, not working out at a gym necessarily, but just getting up and moving around is the biggest key ingredient to maintaining a healthy weight.

I get so annoyed listening to chubby girls/guys who think that all they need to do is eat less (which only slows your metabolism down) or start some silly diet of random ingredients to lose weight. How about this, instead of changing your diet, try going for a long walk every day, or take the stairs instead of the elevator a few times a week. I;d bet money that it works faster than starving yourself or starting some weird diet.
Indeed. I don't do gyms never have, never will. Waste of money. I have a set of dumbbells and a dedicated mind. Also I, personally, can't make excuses when my stuff is right there. LOL Staying active indeed is the formula.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 29, 2012, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
What a load of rubbish, the UK and France have had free health services for years. Its only recently that they're catching up with the obesity rates of the US.
And I bet the only difference is the UK and France are catching up to a US style food system. Heavily processed instant foods made mostly of corn and chemicals.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 29, 2012, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by The Godfather View Post
Fat taxes, public transportation and high gas prices, are the only way, rather than bickering, hate and abandon.
Public Transit has no effect on fat people. Sitting in your car or sitting on a bus, you are still sitting.

1) License the sale of food items only at food stores. No more snacks at the gas station.
2) Require 35% of stocked or for sale items at food stores as fresh or non processed foods. Fresh Carrots at 7-Eleven lol
3) Remove subsidy from Corn
4) Limit supply of sugar with a progressive tax on sugar. The higher the cost the less will be used in products
5) Only fresh and real food in schools
6) All liquid/drinkable calories get taxed .5% per calorie. A 355 ml of coke will be looking at 75 cents tax
7) Ban of a bunch of chemicals used in food to manipulate the body
8) Ban HFCS

9) Mandatory 2 year military service for all men and woman reaching the age of 18-24
10) Mandatory boot camp fitness from age 14 to 18 as a after school activity

Thats my solution

The money going into the health care system can be diverted to pay for the boot camp and military service as the population gets more healthy.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 29, 2012, 03:05 PM

Being active helps your heart and overall health and is good but it really has little effect on a healthy weight. If you are only eating a little bit over what you need working out keeps you good. But You just CAN'T burn enough calories in a day to compensate for a larger intake. And a calorie isn't a calorie either. 100 calories of glucose has a totally different effect on the body as 100 calories of fructose. The way the calories are burned up, the way its stored is very different to.

The makeup of our modern food is whats causing the obesity problem.

Excessive fructose sugar intake can be directly blamed for
- Heart Disease
- Diabetes
The 2 most expensive issues in the medical system.

Lack of activity aggravates other conditions as well.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 29, 2012, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Athens View Post
And I bet the only difference is the UK and France are catching up to a US style food system. Heavily processed instant foods made mostly of corn and chemicals.
See my reply to sek above.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 29, 2012, 03:19 PM

Public Transit has no effect on fat people. Sitting in your car or sitting on a bus, you are still sitting.

1) License the sale of food items only at food stores. No more snacks at the gas station.
2) Require 35% of stocked or for sale items at food stores as fresh or non processed foods. Fresh Carrots at 7-Eleven lol
4) Limit supply of sugar with a progressive tax on sugar. The higher the cost the less will be used in products
6) All liquid/drinkable calories get taxed .5% per calorie. A 355 ml of coke will be looking at 75 cents tax
8) Ban HFCS

9) Mandatory 2 year military service for all men and woman reaching the age of 18-24

Thats my solution

The money going into the health care system can be diverted to pay for the boot camp and military service as the population gets more healthy.
1. F**k that, I should be able to buy a bag of smartfood at a 7/11 if I want.
2. People will source their junk food from elsewhere, forcing a store to sell certain foods won't work.
3. No argument with that, but try to get elected by the heartland with that as your platform.
4. Sugar is not the problem, people consuming far to much of it is. I drink soda and love Kit Kats, yet I'm still very healthy.
5. We can barely fund our schools the way they are, how about a tax rebate for students who bring their own lunch from home. Putting the emphasis on nutrition on the parents, where it should be in the first place.
6. Also stupid. I love a nice cold coke and I'm ideal weight, why should I be penalized?
7. Like the blood in a delicious steak? That shit gets my motor running.
8. Banning HFCS will not end America's obsession with sweets. Food loaded with other types of sugar is just as fattening.
9. Greatly disagree with this.
10. How about only overweight children get forced into this. I did this thing called playing with friends when I was young, kept me fit. Don't see how forcing everyone into a fitness regiment is very fair.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Mar 29, 2012, 03:23 PM

Most bus stops require you to at least walk a little bit to get to them.

I agree with these.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 29, 2012, 03:35 PM

Being active helps your heart and overall health and is good but it really has little effect on a healthy weight. If you are only eating a little bit over what you need working out keeps you good. But You just CAN'T burn enough calories in a day to compensate for a larger intake. And a calorie isn't a calorie either. 100 calories of glucose has a totally different effect on the body as 100 calories of fructose. The way the calories are burned up, the way its stored is very different to.

The makeup of our modern food is whats causing the obesity problem.
Another load of rubbish. Ever seen removal men? I happen to know a few and they eat a full-english breakfast before each and every job they do. They're all fit as ****.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Mar 29, 2012, 03:42 PM

Are you talking about plants or animals? Animals, I might agree. Plants, I would disagree. The logistics involved in keeping a variety of fresh foods available year around all over the country is mind boggling. Every now and then I try organic fruits and vegetables, and I'm reminded time and again why I don't buy organic.

I will go out of my way to buy untreated, non-kosher, non-halal meats. I don't like the idea of my food suffering before I eat it. Make it quick, make it clean. I'll pay the extra money for pasture cows.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Mar 29, 2012, 03:45 PM

Everyone is right.

Without the high-density, high-convenience processed foods, its much harder for people who sit around and don't ever exercise to eat enough to get that fat.
Jobs in the western world continue to shift from manual labour to sedentary chair-based positions.

People who have high-energy jobs can eat crap and not get fat. People who sit down to work all day but then go to the gym can eat crap and not get fat. People who sit all day, don't exercise but don't eat anything don't get fat. People who sit all day and all night stuffing their faces with crap get fat.

Simple really.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 29, 2012, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Another load of rubbish. Ever seen removal men? I happen to know a few and they eat a full-english breakfast before each and every job they do. They're all fit as ****.
If I work outside on a cold day I can easily burn up 2000 calories. Days where I work really hard I'll end up eating twice as much food as normal.

Exercise is THE defining factor in maintaining a healthy weight.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 29, 2012, 03:55 PM

There is no way to "fix" the problem. People will continue to eat themselves to death until society accepts that ALL of this is a problem of abolishing the concept of individual personal responsibility.

Until then: tough luck, fattys, your lives will continue to suck.

-t

There is no way to fix the problem, but pumping everything full of corn products and providing corn subsidies certainly doesn't help. A fast food hamburger should not cost less than a bag of carrots.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Mar 29, 2012, 03:55 PM

Excessive fructose sugar intake can be directly blamed for
- Heart Disease
- Diabetes
The 2 most expensive issues in the medical system.
I think you mean glucose. Fructose generally does not affect your metabolic control system.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 29, 2012, 04:00 PM

Count me in with the group advocating an active lifestyle as the solution to 90% of obesity.

I've never been a particularly healthy eater (the taste of lettuce makes me involuntarily gag). I drink 2-3 Mountain Dews per day, eat a ton of Italian food (my area is an unusual hot spot for great Italian eateries), and usually finish off the day with a bowl of cereal in bed as I watch a show on Netflix.

I'm 6'1'' and eventually got up to 185 lbs or so. During this time, my blood pressure spiked and I began experiencing a number of minor health issues. All I did to fix this was drink Visalus shakes twice a day, run and play basketball regularly, and up my number of photography jobs, which are surprisingly physically taxing. I dropped 17 pounds in just a few weeks. My current blood pressure is 111/78, I'm at a healthy weight (though 160 is my goal), and I feel infinitely better.

Large people should definitely eat healthier, but I'd say it's even more important for them to exercise.

That said, I am strongly opposed to government interference. I don't see how it makes sense constitutionally to tax anyone for their eating choices, and this is a large part of my objection to social healthcare. Once the government is paying for something, it has a responsibility to manage it, and that's when personal freedoms begin to be infringed upon. Yes, it's terrible that morbidly obese people are living poorly and dying young, but it's not the government's place to step in and force them to live healthily.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 29, 2012, 04:05 PM

Mountain Dew is delicious.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Mar 29, 2012, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
All I did to fix this was drink Visalus shakes twice a day...
That sounds exceptionally boring. I'd rather have a low calorie delicious and complete meal. Chicken braised in a white wine sauce, asparagus seared in vegetable oil with a touch of butter and garlic, maybe some mashed potatoes and a little sour cream. Give me a glass of white wine and I'm good to go.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 29, 2012, 04:25 PM

No, no...

I drank Visalus shakes in addition to what I was already eating. I just made sure one of my full meals was healthier.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 29, 2012, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
Chicken braised in a white wine sauce, asparagus seared in vegetable oil with a touch of butter and garlic, maybe some mashed potatoes and a little sour cream...
Also, that sounds freaking tasty.

Originally Posted by sek929
Yes. Yes, it is.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Mar 29, 2012, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
No, no...

I drank Visalus shakes in addition to what I was already eating. I just made sure one of my full meals was healthier.
I'm confused. If you're trying to lose weight, why would you take in additional calories?

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Mar 29, 2012, 04:45 PM

I've found that snot is about on par with Mountain Dew, but not as gross.

Demonhood
Administrator
Mar 29, 2012, 05:57 PM

Personal responsibility has become increasingly deemphasized the world over. That's probably something we can all agree on.
But it's not the whole picture. Food companies cutting corners for profit (by using cheaper/untested ingredients) also have some measure of responsibility in this grand scheme. As does the government regulatory agencies (altho I wouldn't regulate the hell out of things like Athens outlined above).

What's missing from this argument is poverty. Poor people have less access to nutritious food. Look it up. There are fewer grocery stores that carry simple things like produce in most poor neighborhoods. Obviously they also have less money to purchase the more expensive (and healthier) choices. Combine that with less education about their choices and you've got a great recipe for obesity. Sure, there are plenty of overweight people in the other levels of the economic food chain, but their problems aren't as compounded as those of the poor.

Right now, some of you are thinking: Yeah, right, if they're so poor, why aren't they super skinny from the lack of food? To which I answer: People still believe this? These people have enough money for food. They don't have enough money/knowledge/availability/time to get GOOD food. So they eat calorie-dense rubbish. They're looking at their needs and their obligations and making a hard choice (or a lazy one, depending on the person).

They sacrifice their health because they A) don't know any better B) don't have access to the right food C) don't have time because they're working non-stop to feed their family D) are lazy or E) simple don't have the money. They don't have the options you and I have. Pretending they do, and that they can simply "buy a bike" or "walk 30 minutes a day" or "eat some veggies" is ridiculous. An education system just isn't in place to make that happen. Hell, I deal with college-aged kids (privileged and otherwise) and they don't have the slightest clue about healthy eating.

So you could chalk it up to "they're all fat lazy slobs taking advantage of handicapped parking and medicare", but you'd be missing out on what, I think, is a central part of this problem.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 29, 2012, 07:38 PM

America lacks self-control, that's all

Forum Links
Forum Rules