Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Need bootcamp drivers....

Need bootcamp drivers....
knifecarrier2
Baninated
Sep 19, 2012, 10:06 AM

Just intalled 10.6.8 on a Mac Pro 1,1, partitioned, installed Win7 via bootcamp. But every time I clicked "download drivers" it gave me an error. A quick google search suggested I just pretend I had the drivers and get them later. But from where? I have a "generic" 10.6 disc, but will that have the Boot Camp drivers I need?

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2012, 11:05 AM

Yes, Snow Leopard DVD comes with the needed Windows Support Software. Under Windows, insert the DVD and the installer should start automatically, if it didn't, browse the DVD and double-clic the setup.exe file in the Boot Camp directory.

If that doesn't work, you always can rely on Mac OS X Boot Camp Assistant (inside Utilities) to download the needed software. It is huge, e.g. Lion's version is 670 MBs in size.

Please note there is a particularity regarding Windows 7 64bits and the Mac Pro 1,1 computers. Apple doesn't support 64bit versions of Windows on these computers but you can actually install them. If you already have installed a 64bit version of Windows 7, go to the Windows 7 Start Menu, type "cmd" in the search field, then right-click on the program that appears and choose "Run As Administrator".

Then, with the Mac OS X DVD inserted, enter: D:cd "Boot Camp\Drivers\Apple"msiexec /i BootCamp64.msi This will launch the setup for the 64bit version of the Windows Support Software.

knifecarrier2  (op)
Baninated
Sep 19, 2012, 11:42 AM

Awesome, just what I needed to hear. Yup, its the 64 bit win7 ultimate, so I'll def do that. Ironic that they don't support it, considering the Geekbench Scores rank mine as the 14th fastest mac model ever made ever. :|

knifecarrier2  (op)
Baninated
Sep 19, 2012, 11:42 AM

What am I launching when I type "CMD" and run as admin?

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2012, 11:55 AM

CMD is just a command prompt. Kind of the old MS-DOS or OS X Terminal.

reader50
Administrator
Sep 19, 2012, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by knifecarrier2 View Post
What am I launching when I type "CMD" and run as admin?
It stands for reCord Mouse and keyboarD, but don't worry about it. You're in good hands with Windows. They take security seriously, so I wouldn't sweat it unless unfamiliar credit charges start appearing.

knifecarrier2  (op)
Baninated
Sep 24, 2012, 06:25 PM

Angel... holy shit man. SPOT ON ADVICE. Worked perfectly, installing the 64 bit stuff right now. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 25, 2012, 11:40 AM

Excellent! Glad I could help!

Forum Links
Forum Rules